10-27-2015, 08:41 PM #1
XenonLegend
Gym leader
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Hello members of NGU!
Today I saw something interesting on Twitter:
You must login or register to view this content.
In there they link to this article:

Basically an organization called EFF defends the consumers rights in the digital world. Today (27 October 2015) they won a petition!
This petition said that we should be legally able to inspect and modify car software!
You might be thinking, what does this benefit to the PS4 scene?
Well let me tell you, with this petition they also got other things voted for and approved like; Tweaking Abandoned Videogames, Jailbreaking Phones and Tablets, and Remixing Videos.
Does this mean you can apply jailbreak the PS4 legally or is that still illegal due to it not being a "tablet/phone". I think you might be able to legally argue with that?
What do you think? Let me know!

The following 2 users say thank you to XenonLegend for this useful post:

TEXAS24_ReStEr, TotalModzHD
10-27-2015, 09:39 PM #2
Vie
Bounty hunter
This sounds really interesting. To me, the PS4 doesn't fit in the category of tablets and phones but, it is definitely one step closer to being legalized do to this. My guess is that if they are about the consumers rights and are fighting to allow the consumers to modify their purchased products, I would say that they aren't done and that they will attempt to do more. However, this is definitely interesting. Happy
10-27-2015, 10:55 PM #3
TotalModzHD
Bounty hunter
Not sure if this would ever apply for consoles, I mean Sony has a lot of money so they can pretty much do whatever they want. Still, it's progress I guess Happy
10-28-2015, 01:58 AM #4
Paddiwak87
Little One
There's nothing illegal about jailbreaking consoles...
Why would it be illegal to jailbreak a ps4?
Australia is the only place in the world where jailbroken ps3's are illegal.
(For copyright issues apparently)

The only people that have ever had problems regarding jailbreaking are George Hotz and failoverflow, the guys who found and made the ps3 exploit and root keys public in the first place...
And even then all they got was a temporary restraining order and an out of court settlement...
10-28-2015, 08:47 AM #5
Nothing illegal about jailbreaking consoles

The only thing illegal is stealing games and not paying that is why it has been put as illegal anyway apple takes most of there ideas from jailbreak tweeks
10-28-2015, 11:02 AM #6
XenonLegend
Gym leader
Originally posted by EYE
This is good jailbreaking iPhones etc.. but for a gaming console.. completely different.

there is nothing legal that you can argue about jailbreaking.. Yes its your console, YOU paid for it, its YOUR property and so on, but this leaves and opens vulnerabilities in their security infrastructure.

So personally NO this does not apply for the PS4/Sony scene im afraid.

That's true but it does mean we're going the right direction Winky Winky
10-29-2015, 07:20 AM #7
Default Avatar
Roar
Originally posted by XenonLegend View Post

Hello members of NGU!

Basically an organization called EFF defends the consumers rights in the digital world. Today (27 October 2015) they won a petition!
This petition said that we should be legally able to inspect and modify car software!
Well let me tell you, with this petition they also got other things voted for and approved like; Tweaking Abandoned Videogames, Jailbreaking Phones and Tablets, and Remixing Videos.
Does this mean you can apply jailbreak the PS4 legally or is that still illegal due to it not being a "tablet/phone". I think you might be able to legally argue with that?

Thread moved to Mods and Cheats
10-29-2015, 10:11 PM #8
Tristan
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by XenonLegend View Post

Hello members of NGU!

Nice C&P lol
10-30-2015, 03:00 AM #9
xXx-.-Moder
Maggbot timeout!
AS other said, JB is not illegal.
The only thing illegal downloading PAID games for FREE.
And Ps4 doesn't fit in the category of tablets and phones. Sorry this does not apply here
10-30-2015, 08:10 AM #10
XenonLegend
Gym leader
Originally posted by Tristan View Post
Nice C&P lol

I wrote this -.-

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo