07-17-2018, 08:20 PM #1
sketch.sketch
Pokemon Trainer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); So quite a while ago my PS4 started turning off mid game.. bloody annoying let me tell you but I ignored it, I admit this was very stupid of me but whats done is done. Anyway it got to the point where it would turn on for a couple of minutes and then turn it self off and wouldn't turn back on until I unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in. I eventually got a new ps4 but my original ps4 is on firmware version 4.75 meaning I will be able to use the 5.05 exploit on it, this has given me the will power to a lot of research however everything I find highlights all the problems that could be wrong with the system and not giving me a single solution but multiple solutions that might solve my problem. I looked into repair shops in my area but there are next to none close by other than eb games which with a set price of $144 is not looking very appealing.*

Update the PS4 in question was actually on 4.73 and has since been update to 5.05 unsure if issue still occurs

So I took the back bottom casing off of the ps4 and it seems to run fine however as soon as i switch it off/rest mode and try to turn it on it black screens and freezes while still displaying the blue led, the only way to get it to turn on and display anything is to unplug it and boom works fine again.

PLEASE HELP
Last edited by sketch.sketch ; 07-18-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: UPDATE
08-07-2018, 07:17 PM #2
Originally posted by sketch.sketch View Post
So quite a while ago my PS4 started turning off mid game.. bloody annoying let me tell you but I ignored it, I admit this was very stupid of me but whats done is done. Anyway it got to the point where it would turn on for a couple of minutes and then turn it self off and wouldn't turn back on until I unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in. I eventually got a new ps4 but my original ps4 is on firmware version 4.75 meaning I will be able to use the 5.05 exploit on it, this has given me the will power to a lot of research however everything I find highlights all the problems that could be wrong with the system and not giving me a single solution but multiple solutions that might solve my problem. I looked into repair shops in my area but there are next to none close by other than eb games which with a set price of $144 is not looking very appealing.*

Update the PS4 in question was actually on 4.73 and has since been update to 5.05 unsure if issue still occurs

So I took the back bottom casing off of the ps4 and it seems to run fine however as soon as i switch it off/rest mode and try to turn it on it black screens and freezes while still displaying the blue led, the only way to get it to turn on and display anything is to unplug it and boom works fine again.

PLEASE HELP

Not sure if you’re still having this issue but I’ll take a stab at it anyways

Also hopefully nobody is offended that I’m digging up an older thread... especially since it’s towards the top of a section that seems pretty dead in recent months ... even if it doesn’t help this guy then hopefully someone else who “searches google” will find something useful

The jerks who ask “did you google it first?” know exactly who they are and you’re not welcome in any of my conversations you frickin trolls

Anyways... you mentioned the potential for it to be a firmware issue... software is almost certainly not the problem but may contribute to making it worse

Abruptly ending a session could be a power supply issue

Check to make sure that the outlet it is plugged into is capable of properly supplying the necessary power requirements for that device - some power strips and wall outlets will offer an eco mode which is utter dog shit and does not actually prevent energy waste - regardless of your position on the matter I have seen similar issues when using those stupid things are actually the cause

Below is a link to a CUH-1001A power supply if the above did not work for you (this is a launch model PS4) you might consider something similar to this for $50 instead of $144.. but make sure you get the right part for your model PS4!

You must login or register to view this content.

Albeit that may not actually be your issue so if you do go that route you may want to consider a power supply that offers a free return should the issue persist

If that doesn’t work or you are confident it’s not a power supply issue then you may have a faulty component on your motherboard

Is the unit running hotter than it typically would? You mentioned having another PS4... if they are similar models maybe you could do a simple hand touch comparison and see if the afflicted console is obviously hotter?

If it is then you may consider replacing the thermal compound and doing a complete dust removal- there are tons of videos online about doing exactly that - I do recommend using disposable nitrile gloves (not necessary just my preference) to avoid getting boogers or other oils inside of your machine

Dust can/has caused issues for me personally - dust is a motherf*cker for static and can cause all sorts of issues for you especially if you live in a dry climate

If after doing all of those things you still can’t find the issue then you may consider that the connection to the apu is not properly married to the motherboard

Below is a video that I would consider in that scenario

This will help to insure that the connection from the apu to the motherboard is properly secured down with the least invasive method as possible

At the end of this video the guy very briefly touched on the processes known as reflowing and reballing

Reflow is when you isolate the motherboard from the rest of the console and heat the board to about 300F-400F so that you can slide the apu into a more secured position until it cures in place - this has some concern that it may not properly resolve your issue and may not be worth your time

Under no circumstance should you take someone online serious if they tell you to use a heat gun - a heat gun can potentially* allow the components to reach the approximate temperatures required but will not provide a consistent and “even” heat to the balls under the apu
In other words part of the connection will be fluid and the other will be partially solid and you could cause even more connection issues for yourself by making the connection brittle

A reball is a very similar concept to a reflow but is the manual removal of each of the connection points and replacing them - there are hundreds of pin connectors on these cards and it would be a true pain in the ass to get that replaced and would honestly cost more than buying a 4.05 PS4 much less a 5.05... this process would require the technician to not only remove each connection pin but also all of the subsequent residue from the connector before reapplying and ultimately trying to hand mimic Sony’s manufacturing process

Reflowing and reballing are not viable options. You might as well scrap it once you consider cost of a brand new 5.05 console vs the cost of “repairing” (band-aiding) yours

Resist the urge to trust the guy who says he can do it for cheap... he’s either stealing your identity or wasting your time lol

Also.... in regards to the guys handling of the PS4 in the video, please just unplug your shit when you’re working on it... yes he maintained contact with the chassis of the device but there is an increased chance of esd damage for no reason, especially when you could just as easily unplug the darn thing

You should also work on a flat service at least a foot off the ground with your shoes on and no carpet beneath you or the table - it seems silly but static is a science my dude and it will suck the life out of a device so fast it’s not even funny - it’s very simple to avoid and yes I use a static mat and esd strap when working on my stuff

If you go the money to blow then feel free to try not using my advice on static electricity or reflow/reballing - I bet you’ll learn a lot from the process even though you’ll likely murder the rest of your PS4 😂

TLAwesome faceR 🤔😑
Check to make sure it’s plugged in properly

Consider replacing the internal power supply

Consider removing the dust and replacing the thermal compound

Consider adding spacers to the apu clamp as shown in the YouTube video above

Good luck!
😆👍

You or anyone else can message me on twitter if you need anymore help
Last edited by X-UNDEAD_NINJA2 ; 08-07-2018 at 07:27 PM.
08-08-2018, 01:27 PM #3
aeneax
Nothing To See Here
Originally posted by NINJA2 View Post
You should also work on a flat service at least a foot off the ground with your shoes on and no carpet beneath you or the table - it seems silly but static is a science my dude and it will suck the life out of a device so fast it’s not even funny - it’s very simple to avoid and yes I use a static mat and esd strap when working on my stuff]

Where were you in 1993 when I needed that bit of advice? Second time taking apart a PC -- first time I was able to put the bits back together -- so I could pop in my brand new CD-ROM. Fried that new drive and had no idea how. Needless to say, my brand new copy of Betrayal at Krondor did not load up, nor did anything else. Shame on you for not having my back then.

You seem more knowledgeable than me, but based on problems as described, I'd wager on either power supply for reasons you mentioned, or heating both for reasons you mentioned and also because the issue becomes somewhat better with part of the back casing off. Could also be both problems, a heating issue having damaged the PSU. The 2 cents I'd add are to check what sort of environment the PS4 runs in. Is it on metal? Wood? Enclosed space or open? Wood heats up a whole lot faster than other surfaces and shoots it straight back to the PS4 which then heats up the wood even more, and if it's also in an enclosed environment, like set back within an entertainment center, it could have overheated quite a bit during its life eventually to the point of internal damage. Some of that damage could have been to the power supply. And agree that mains are always a suspect, along with any power strips or surge protectors used. If your PS4 is in a room that draws a lot of power, maybe check the circuit breaker and see what sort of power that circuit puts out, and compare it to the power requirements of what's in the PS4's room (including items on rest mode and their power draw on rest mode). For power strips and protectors, I'd recommend replacing them every 2 years or so. Some power strips and especially uninterruptible power supplies will even have different outlets on them for which devices will be protected and which won't be, so that might be worth checking as well. Once solved a "the power goes out 5 times a day" problem simply by moving a tv's power cord from one slot to the next one over on a power strip, because the one it was on constantly drew power so despite the tv technically being off it was being fed power regardless and so the power draw for the day was too much of a strain on that power strip.

The following user thanked aeneax for this useful post:

X-UNDEAD_NINJA2
08-08-2018, 02:20 PM #4
Originally posted by aeneax View Post
Where were you in 1993 when I needed that bit of advice? Second time taking apart a PC -- first time I was able to put the bits back together -- so I could pop in my brand new CD-ROM. Fried that new drive and had no idea how. Needless to say, my brand new copy of Betrayal at Krondor did not load up, nor did anything else. Shame on you for not having my back then.

You seem more knowledgeable than me, but based on problems as described, I'd wager on either power supply for reasons you mentioned, or heating both for reasons you mentioned and also because the issue becomes somewhat better with part of the back casing off. Could also be both problems, a heating issue having damaged the PSU. The 2 cents I'd add are to check what sort of environment the PS4 runs in. Is it on metal? Wood? Enclosed space or open? Wood heats up a whole lot faster than other surfaces and shoots it straight back to the PS4 which then heats up the wood even more, and if it's also in an enclosed environment, like set back within an entertainment center, it could have overheated quite a bit during its life eventually to the point of internal damage. Some of that damage could have been to the power supply. And agree that mains are always a suspect, along with any power strips or surge protectors used. If your PS4 is in a room that draws a lot of power, maybe check the circuit breaker and see what sort of power that circuit puts out, and compare it to the power requirements of what's in the PS4's room (including items on rest mode and their power draw on rest mode). For power strips and protectors, I'd recommend replacing them every 2 years or so. Some power strips and especially uninterruptible power supplies will even have different outlets on them for which devices will be protected and which won't be, so that might be worth checking as well. Once solved a "the power goes out 5 times a day" problem simply by moving a tv's power cord from one slot to the next one over on a power strip, because the one it was on constantly drew power so despite the tv technically being off it was being fed power regardless and so the power draw for the day was too much of a strain on that power strip.

Lol I probably would not have been much help in ‘93 man lol - I was born in October of that year 😅

Great point on the rear exhaust clearance! That concept can/SHOULD be applied to intakes and other appliances in your house/workspace - your refrigerator might last longer and work more efficiently if you don’t feed its farts back into it

Entertainment consoles are only entertaining for furniture stores - they’re always overpriced and are designed to destroy your stuff then flake apart on themselves 6 years after you bought it

Power strips are another gimmic man... most people never consider that running an older (really any) tv + PS4 + mini fridge + box fan... etc will not end well even when it’s in a passive mode 😝

The following user thanked X-UNDEAD_NINJA2 for this useful post:

aeneax

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo