10-09-2018, 12:44 PM #1
aeneax
Nothing To See Here
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Except not quite naming it PS5 yet, just successor to PS4. For those who haven't seen. There's a bit more in the Financial Times article that broke yesterday but it's subscription only.

You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by aeneax ; 10-09-2018 at 01:06 PM.
10-10-2018, 03:43 PM #2
aeneax
Nothing To See Here
The more I read up on this, the more disappointed I am. No significant architectural differences? So basically it would be a PS4 Pro, just pushing streaming options both for video and gaming, a different UI, native 4k support which is the only promised improvement I'm interested in, probably a bigger hard drive but who knows especially with Sony's language on "different price points for different consumers", and more focused towards VR.

A lot of that is just pushing things that are doing decently but not as well as Sony would like, such as VR and PS Now, plus having a OS that's geared less towards the best gaming experience possible and more towards everything-except gaming. Basically, the way the Xbone went and the reasons the PS4 has outsold it by a mile. I'm really puzzled here. Only explanation I can think of is that given the continued uncertainty the industry seems to have with the future of console gaming -- despite people buying consoles and console games in record numbers each year -- Sony's deciding to make more revenue from services offered the "PS5" we'll call it, not just Sony services but apps to slow down the system and impede the ability to cram in more gaming power.

They're also looking into backwards compatibility which would be fantastic, but they've looked into that before when announcing next generations, then dropped it, so I'm not holding my breath. And backwards compatible with what? PS3 discs? PS4 discs? Doubtful they'll do both. Digital-only backwards compatibility? Streaming-only backwards compatibility?

Guess we'll find out in 2 years or so.
10-10-2018, 04:38 PM #3
azooz121
Big Daddy
Originally posted by aeneax View Post
Except not quite naming it PS5 yet, just successor to PS4. For those who haven't seen. There's a bit more in the Financial Times article that broke yesterday but it's subscription only.

You must login or register to view this content.

i just bought the xbox one x yesterday Sal
10-11-2018, 02:19 PM #4
aeneax
Nothing To See Here
Originally posted by azooz121 View Post
i just bought the xbox one x yesterday Sal

Microsoft is working on next-gen too, and they announced that this summer I believe, but at this point it doesn't look like it will be much different from Xbone X in terms of actual gaming power so you should probably be safe. Plus it's a couple of years off and publishers will need to work on compatible titles for it. So far Bethesda's confirmed. The biggest hardware upgrade for the next-gen PS will be native 4k, but Xbone X already has that, right? So it's all the other changes for the next-gen. Basically, making it less like a console and more like a giant smartphone that sits under your tv and plays Xbone X-type games or PS4 Pro-type games. If you bought the Xbone X because you wanted something to watch Netflix on other than your desktop, your laptop, your smartphone, your tablet, your tv, your Roku, your Firestick, and/or anything else, then maybe it will play Netflix that much better or you'll be able to tweet from it while watcihng Netflix and reading stock ticker updates on a split screen so you're watching Netflix and Vudu at the same time because hey, why not pay even less attention to more things? Or maybe you'd genuinely rather stream games at lower FPS, video and audio quality and more crashes and other glitches, paying for them without owning them.

But if you bought it for sheer gaming power, then right now it doesn't sound like the next-gen Xbox will be a significant upgrade. Or perhaps while developing these, Sony & Microsoft will begin to realize that consoles are far from dead. I thought this current generation had already proven that. Simply because VR doesn't sell like hotcakes doesn't mean consoles are dead -- it means the majority of gamers don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to have lower resolution, worse GPU performance, and lower FPS using a relatively new and still-developing technology with a small library of supported titles.

The following user thanked aeneax for this useful post:

azooz121
10-12-2018, 03:43 AM #5
Xavier Hidden
Are you high?
It was around this time that ps3 was fully hacked with players able to mod online. When the PS4 was in the works. So, why is the PS4 not being fully hacked already and able to allow us to mod online while it's on it's way out and PS5 is on it's way in?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo