Post: VR Market Is Currently Unviable, Says Ceo Of CCP Games
10-23-2018, 03:43 PM #1
Wosley
Discord: Wosley#6447
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

VR has probably never been more appealing to the mass market than it is currently, thanks to cheaper mass market VR hardware finally being available, and the release of some VR killer apps such as Astro Bot for the PlayStation VR. And yet, amidst this new surge of enthusiasm for the VR market comes the gloomy pronouncement regarding its current prospects by a company that has previously jumped headfirst into supporting VR game development.

The CEO of CCP Games, Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, talked about the state of the VR market in an interview with Destructoid. CCP games, you will remember, release EVE Valkyrie on the PlayStation VR, a project that was then ultimately cancelled following low sales, accompanied by the shuttering of two studios, and the cancellation of all further VR games from the company.

“We expected VR to be two to three times as big as it was, period. You can’t build a business on that,” he said, speaking of where the market currently stands.

He also says that sales of VR hardware, such as the 3 million units sold by PlayStation VR, might not necessarily be indicative of the VR market as a whole—since a lot of people buy a headset for the novelty, and then proceed to never actually use it afterwards.

“The important thing is we need to see the metrics for active users of VR. A lot of people bought headsets just to try it out. How many of those people are active? We found that in terms of our data, a lot of users weren’t.”

That said, he cited the upcoming Oculus Quest, a low cost standalone VR headset from Oculus, as something that could maybe turn things around for the market, and make the company reassess its stance on VR. For now, however, it looks like he’s not too hot on the segment, and given the losses his company suffered, who can blame him?

Source:*You must login or register to view this content.
10-23-2018, 04:02 PM #2
azooz121
Big Daddy
i was going to buy it tomorrow

do you think is it good to buy it or i dont have to wist my money i need ur help to answer this before i buy it i dont like to wist my money cuz the reason to try it the vr
10-23-2018, 04:27 PM #3
Wosley
Discord: Wosley#6447
Originally posted by azooz121 View Post

do you think is it good to buy it or i dont have to wist my money i need ur help to answer this before i buy it i dont like to wist my money cuz the reason to try it the vr

No idea i dont own a Ps Vr and never had any of them in my hands
11-04-2018, 06:45 AM #4

Originally posted by Wosley View Post

No idea i dont own a Ps Vr and never had any of them in my hands

I bought the VR soon after it came out and never regretted it, true at first the games were not so exciting but over the years the variety has changed and it's still highly interesting. To this day I still keep on buying games & app's for VR. When buying the VR new it's still not cheap but definitely worth the money, alternately you can buy second hand of course.
For me the up side is that the PS4 VR is taylor made for its games and app's as the Oculus is not.
A relative of mine has the Oculus and many times he is complaining about it because of the incombality.
I don't see myself buying the Oculus any time soon as I'm very happy with my PS4 VR but whatever you want to spend your money on is up to you.
My 2 cents...
11-04-2018, 02:03 PM #5
aeneax
Nothing To See Here
There's been a division between many VR pioneers and the companies who fund them, and it centers over whether there's a similar division in what consumers actually want from VR: Something cheaper or something better. The truth has been for years that headset sales have been decent but never as strong as expected, and sales of VR titles have been far, far lower than expected. The question has been why. Everyone knew these would be the early days of VR development so it would be far from perfect. The headsets are a bit clunky, and obviously the graphical output from a television or computer monitor will on a technical level outstrip anything a VR headset can currently produce.

Many are quite happy with their VR headsets and keep supporting VR by buying VR games and applications whether on console, PC or both. But overall VR companies and VR divisions within larger companies are losing money when they were expected to turn a profit by now.

So they keep asking that central question of what to do about it, which largely centers on what we want. Many in the industry -- largely the folks doing the financing -- think the answer is to make VR headsets cheaper at the cost of quality. That would make them more accessible, drum up sales of hardware more, and more people would try out the games and some of them would stick with buying those games, supporting future development. Others, usually the folks creating the VR and who originally had the idea that VR was possible sooner than the rest of us thought, hate that idea and believe the answer is to make VR better, both in terms of hardware and in terms of games. For them, if the hardware were actually closer to supporting what a PC or modern console could actually put out in terms of video quality and video processing power without lag or drops in framerate, it would be more appealing and to more consumers, and also more appealing to more developers who would see it less as a gimmick and more as hardware to specifically develop support for from the get-go (for instance, RDR2 not just being developed for VR which would be huge since so far Bethesda is the only AAA publisher I'm aware of to go all-in on VR, but RDR2 VR being released the same day as RDR2 for non-VR).

This division was recently brought into sharp focus when Brendan Iribe, co-founder of Oculus, resigned from Facebook (owner of Oculus) because he wasn't interested in a "race to the bottom" in terms of VR technology. Facebook is looking to turn a profit on VR, while he still wants to create a true VR experience.

You must login or register to view this content.

Personally, I'm with the folks who want better VR, not cheaper VR. Sure I'd like to save some money on it, but right now I'm saving money on it as is because it's simply not there yet (for me). When VR first looked possible I was one of the first to be uber-excited, but as long as I can get significantly better video quality without the VR, and the games continue to be mostly, well, what they are, I have no interest. Only Skyrim tempted me, even with the degradation of visual quality apparent just in screenshots and videos without even needing to resort to a comparison -- I was still tempted. I feel the only way they can convince companies other than Bethesda is if they can make the quality better, not worse. Just my opinion, though. There's obviously a deep divide on this, and it's not like VR is cheap even as is.
Last edited by aeneax ; 11-04-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo