12-07-2013, 01:05 PM #1
DrinkinMyStella
Vault dweller
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Yesterday, IGN reported Sony was sending out emails to PlayStation users, requiring password changes after noticing "irregular activity" on PSN accounts. Following our story, we received messages from multiple sources claiming their accounts were used to make unverified purchases. According to one person, his account was used to add $150 to his PlayStation Store wallet, while another found mysterious purchases related to FIFA 14.

ps4ds4

"Just last night, at about 1:10 AM, I received an email saying $50 was added to my wallet," Marcus Elyiace told IGN via email. "No more than 15 seconds later, I receive another email saying the same thing. I immediately login to my account [...] but by the time I did that, another $50 dollars was taken from my card."

Elyiace contacted Sony customer service and forwarded IGN the details of the conversation. The Sony rep said all the charges would be refunded within five to seven days and stressed "making sure that your password is not something that you use on other places around the internet."

Another PSN user, Bobby Atkins, says funds were also added to his Store wallet. But before Atkins noted the charges to his credit card, someone had purchased FIFA 14 content with his account. The inclusion of FIFA in the mix brings back memories of 2011, when multiple Xbox 360 users' accounts suddenly found charges of FIFA 12 content they had never purchased.

Downloading content via another person's account to the hacker's PlayStation device may seem like a fruitless effort, but there is some reasoning--if you can call it that--to the madness. Theoretically, the person in control of the account could designate their PlayStation device as the "primary" console, then proceed to download the content. When the victim resets their password, the access would obviously be revoked. But assuming the game in question doesn't require DRM verification, or if the unverified PlayStation is kept offline, they could possibly still use the content or game.

Other messages to IGN included a fraudulent charge for $650 to a clothing retailer on the same card linked to the person's PSN account, and other users who found games on their account they had never opted to purchase. All of the alleged victims received the "irregular activity" email from Sony. Sony has sent this same password reset email out at least twice in as many weeks.

Of course, there's no direct evidence the alleged charges are in fact related to the emails sent out from Sony, and it's unclear if the issue is widespread. IGN has contacted Sony on the matter, but as of this writing, the company has not returned the request for comment.

Source You must login or register to view this content.

he it is guys people are now stating they have been hacked. make sure to delete your credit details.

The following 4 users say thank you to DrinkinMyStella for this useful post:

iBestTalent, jdubu66, webzy,
12-07-2013, 01:27 PM #2
Ace
Former Staff Member
We'll Ima change my password then move on with my life. You must login or register to view this content.
12-07-2013, 01:46 PM #3
DEREKTROTTER
You're Goddamn Right
PSN accounts get hacked all the time, nothing has changed. There will always be dumb people out there looking for "PSN Card generators" or "FIFA coin hacks". Its there own fault.

The following 7 users say thank you to DEREKTROTTER for this useful post:

ContagiousModz, DrinkinMyStella, Beats, King Sosa, RADDY1993, Kryptmoose, webzy
12-07-2013, 01:48 PM #4
i mainly used PSN Cards after the 2011 attack., i've never used or stored card details on PS since then.
Luckily there are many other ways of topping up PSN Account like PayPal or my fav just now through mobile phone.
12-07-2013, 03:55 PM #5
setsae
Climbing up the ladder
i going to be quiet honest here , none of this happened until UK got ps4 ...

i am 100% blame UK people & FIFA coins !
12-07-2013, 04:38 PM #6
KnightUK
Bounty hunter
Probably someone with similar intelligence to the guy that paid £450 for a picture of an xbox one on eBay...
12-07-2013, 05:09 PM #7
Originally posted by setsae View Post
i going to be quiet honest here , none of this happened until UK got ps4 ...

i am 100% blame UK people & FIFA coins !

True, no one in the US like soccer lol, (I realize that some people like it so you don't have to be like "OMG STFU I <3 SOCCER, just saying that most Americans couldn't care less about it :P ). So yes UK is to blame Happy
12-07-2013, 07:01 PM #8
setsae
Climbing up the ladder
i love UK people ,
and have quiet a few uk gaming friends ... so I should not stereo type anyone I admit ,
but FIFA and the whole coin thing is what is to blame I honestly feel.
12-07-2013, 10:44 PM #9
Isaac Clarke
< ^ > < ^ >
i had to change mine the other day. at least sony is on top of it this time.
12-07-2013, 10:58 PM #10
Originally posted by DEREKTROTTER View Post
PSN accounts get hacked all the time, nothing has changed. There will always be dumb people out there looking for "PSN Card generators" or "FIFA coin hacks". Its there own fault.

However, this doesn't explain how they get past the screen where it says you need to verify that the credit details are yours or you can delete them when you login for the first time.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo