Post: How to use a 3TB, 4TB and 6TB 3.5 inch hard drive on ps4 (tutorial)
08-22-2015, 05:11 PM #1
IRAQ
WHY so SERIOUS ?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); This tutorial is a very simple and easy process to do and there are a couple of ways to do this. I personally recommend method 3.

I can confirm that 3.5 inch drives, in 3TB, 4TB and 6TB capacities, all successfully work with the PS4 and they will be hooked up externally. However if you choose to use a 6TB hard drive then the initial boot up of the PS4 takes longer than all of the others, unless Sony releases an update to fully support them You will need to manually do it, by holding the PS4's power button for 5-6 seconds. You'll have to do this every time to start the PS4. Again this will only happen for the 6TB hard drive, the others work fine just like a normal 2.5 inch hard drvie would.

First way to do this:
You'll need three things. The Hard Drive itself, a SATA Extension Cable (male to female cable) and a 3.5 inch Enclosure.

i suggest buying at least a 1m cable for more flexibility, nothing less then 1m.

Step 1 - You take off the Hard Drive cover and remove the standard Hard Drive, as you would in any normal PS4 HDD upgrade.
Step 2 - You connect the SATA Extension cable, into the port where the standard Hard Drive was previously and then close the PS4 Cover. (this can be tricky to do)
Step 3 - Place your HDD in the enclosure and connect the power cable to the HDD, attach the other end of the SATA Extension Cable to the HDD and power it on.

That's it, you're done. All you have to do now is installing the ps4 firmware using a USB.
The only problem with this method is that depending on your 3.5 inch enclosure you could get worse/better performance. say you got a cheap enclosure then the HDD will be really slow and buggy. if you got a really good quality enclosure then you should be fine depending on the speeds of the enclosure. however this method is cleaner and safer to use, for some people looks are important :P

This method will cost around £25 without the HDD and depending on the enclosure.

Links:
3.5 inch enclosure: You must login or register to view this content.
SATA Extension Cable: You must login or register to view this content.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second way to do it, which is much easier, is to buy a Nyko Data Bank. This is available for ps4 and xbox one. However i have heard that this is not recommended.

link: You must login or register to view this content.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third way to do this, which is how i have my one set up simply because its connected directly to the HDD and not the 3.5 inch Enclosure. which is much better since its direct and you get the proper performance out of the HDD. This is much cheaper to run then the first method however the HDD will be exposed and depending on personal preference some might not like it.

You will need acouple of stuff for this. The Hard Drive itself, a SATA Extension Cable, a Molex To SATA Power Cable, Molex Power Supply and a Kettle Lead. an optional fan can be used but its not needed.

Step 1: Connect the SATA Extension cable to the ps4 and close the cover, then connect the other end to the HDD.
Step 2: Connect the SATA power cable to the HDD and the other end to the Molex power supply.
Step 3: Connect the Molex power supply to the Kettle lead and plug that into a power socket.
(optional) Step 4: you can connect a Molex fan between the SATA power cable and the Molex Power supply.

That's it, you're done. All you have to do now is installing the ps4 firmware using a USB.

Heres a video:

(this is not my video)

This method will cost around £16 without the HDD

Links:
SATA Extension Cable: You must login or register to view this content.
Molex To SATA Power Cable: You must login or register to view this content.
Molex Power Supply: You must login or register to view this content.
Kettle Lead: You must login or register to view this content.
Optional Fans: You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by IRAQ ; 08-22-2015 at 10:39 PM.

The following 3 users say thank you to IRAQ for this useful post:

Princexxx, Toptuning, xBHR
08-23-2015, 02:00 AM #2
Might as well replace drive internally so if something goes wrong you still have your warranty. Good thread nonetheless.
08-23-2015, 03:09 AM #3
IRAQ
WHY so SERIOUS ?
Originally posted by rampaging
Might as well replace drive internally so if something goes wrong you still have your warranty. Good thread nonetheless.

warranty is still valid with these methods. you do not change anything on the ps4. you simply connect a cable to were a normal 2.5 inch HDD would go. besides 3.5 inch HDDs come in bigger sizes, faster RPM and are cheaper then 2.5 inch HDDs. so not only is this cheaper to run with but you get alot more out of it
08-23-2015, 09:20 AM #4
Hola
Big Daddy
A 6tb?!
08-28-2015, 10:56 PM #5
xBHR
Brute
Thanks!
will this HDD work with this method?
You must login or register to view this content.

it's discounted and looks good.

Originally posted by anton1453 View Post
A 6tb?!

yep 6tb is available, just search over amazon or check the link I posted above, there's a 6tb edition of that HDD
08-29-2015, 12:41 AM #6
IRAQ
WHY so SERIOUS ?
Originally posted by xBHR View Post
Thanks!
will this HDD work with this method?
You must login or register to view this content.

it's discounted and looks good.

yep 6tb is available, just search over amazon or check the link I posted above, there's a 6tb edition of that HDD

Honestly i have not tested 5TB but if 6TB works then 5TB should work Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo