Post: Computer Building - Three parts to NEVER cheap out on.
01-13-2014, 12:27 AM #1
NeedaSlutSoon
Vault dweller
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
• Hello NextGenUpdate Members •

-

In this thread, you're going to learn about the three parts of a PC/Computer build that you should NEVER cheap out on, and the consequences that follow.

1. The Chassis / Case; This is where the heart of all your components is, and where your parts stay safe and sound. Buying a cheap case will result in poor to really bad thermal which greatly effects the Motherboards, CPU Coolers, and GPU(s) ability to stay cool. Same goes for buying to small of a case. A case requires two main channels of air. Push - and Pull. The way a case is setup is to have 1-2 or maybe even 3-4 fans up front, this is what pushes cool fresh air into the chassis / case helping the components cool themselves. The rear exhaust, in some cases even have 2 fans but most standard cases have 1. This fan is what takes the heated air and removes it from the case. Adding more fans can result in different static pressures and cause uneven air channels. Now I'm not saying to go out there and buy a Cosmos II for a Mini-ITX Build. But get a good quality Case ($75-$100) and a case that has they best airflow available. Some good case manufacturers follow;

• SilverStone
• Corsair
• Cooler Master
• Fractal Design

2. The Power Supply; This is the most critical component to NEVER cheap out on. This wonderful device is changing the supplied AC current into a DC current. A bad or cheap power supply can make a(n) undesirable mark on your system. I've seen power supplies that are so cheap they blow out motherboards, undersupply a CPU, and cause a GPU to fry. I normally follow one rule for buying a PSU, and thats the following;

• Is this Power Supply rated for either 80PLUS+ Gold / Platinum / Titanium (new)?
• Is this Power Supply from a reputable supplier like Corsair, Antec, or EVGA?
• Does this Power Supply grant enough power?

Those three questions will help pick out the BEST power supply. Now, power supplies are not meant to be cheap, they're gonna be pricing into the $100-$300 range, but you're buying a component that has the ability to either supply clean power, or blow your whole system. If you're a bit to concerned about the power draw at max load, use a service like PCPartPicker, put your specs into it, and it gives you an estimated wattage. That Estimated Wattage is the system at 100% load. Another thing to remember, you should never utilize more than 45-60% of your Power Supply wattage at idle / light load. This will cause the capacitors (doing the transfer from AC to DC) to ware out, which if left to long wears out the Power Supply which makes it less efficient, and supplies less wattage. Now I said something about 80PLUS. 80PLUS is a certification on a Power Supply for it's current efficiency rating, I've broke all these down below;

• 80PLUS+ Bronze: 82% - 84% Efficient
• 80PLUS+ Silver: 85% - 88% Efficient
• 80PLUS+ Gold: 87% - 90% Efficient
• 80PLUS+ Platinum: 90% - 95% Efficient
• 80PLUS+ Titanium (new): 95% - 99.9% Efficient

Now what this means, a higher efficiency means the power supply losses less wattage when doing the transformation from AC to DC. A lower certification (Like 80Plus+ Bronze) you only get 82% - 84% of the total supply available to your system. The lower the certification means the more heat and noise it introduces to your system.

3. The Motherboard; The motherboard is basically the heart and soul of your PC/Computer. This is the main board 'home' where all your components meet up and work together. Buying a cheap motherboard can result in components not registering, and in certain cases, frying upon being placed into the motherboard. I'd recommend spending a good amount of money on a very good motherboard. Doing so makes sure you're going to get that amazing warranty, the supplied components are going to work with each other, and you're buying from a reputable company. Some companies that have great motherboards follow;

• ASUS
• Gigabyte
• MSI
• ASRock (some motherboards)

So with all this information posted into this thread. PLEASE keep this in mind when building a computer. These are the main parts of a successful system and cheap parts will cause it to fail.

Thanks for reading,
ResistTheCanadian

The following 8 users say thank you to NeedaSlutSoon for this useful post:

Cryptic, Hondarydr, Toke, Vince, ResistTheSun, Sand.Mann, Sir Right
01-13-2014, 01:17 AM #2
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by ResistTheCanadian View Post

-

In this thread, you're going to learn about the three parts of a PC/Computer build that you should NEVER cheap out on, and the consequences that follow.

1. The Chassis / Case; This is where the heart of all your components is, and where your parts stay safe and sound. Buying a cheap case will result in poor to really bad thermal which greatly effects the Motherboards, CPU Coolers, and GPU(s) ability to stay cool. Same goes for buying to small of a case. A case requires two main channels of air. Push - and Pull. The way a case is setup is to have 1-2 or maybe even 3-4 fans up front, this is what pushes cool fresh air into the chassis / case helping the components cool themselves. The rear exhaust, in some cases even have 2 fans but most standard cases have 1. This fan is what takes the heated air and removes it from the case. Adding more fans can result in different static pressures and cause uneven air channels. Now I'm not saying to go out there and buy a Cosmos II for a Mini-ITX Build. But get a good quality Case ($75-$100) and a case that has they best airflow available. Some good case manufacturers follow;

• SilverStone
• Corsair
• Cooler Master
• Fractal Design

2. The Power Supply; This is the most critical component to NEVER cheap out on. This wonderful device is changing the supplied AC current into a DC current. A bad or cheap power supply can make a(n) undesirable mark on your system. I've seen power supplies that are so cheap they blow out motherboards, undersupply a CPU, and cause a GPU to fry. I normally follow one rule for buying a PSU, and thats the following;

• Is this Power Supply rated for either 80PLUS+ Gold / Platinum / Titanium (new)?

Those three questions will help pick out the BEST power supply. Now, power supplies are not meant to be cheap, they're gonna be pricing into the $100-$300 range, but you're buying a component that has the ability to either supply clean power, or blow your whole system. If you're a bit to concerned about the power draw at max load, use a service like PCPartPicker, put your specs into it, and it gives you an estimated wattage. That Estimated Wattage is the system at 100% load. Another thing to remember, you should never utilize more than 45-60% of your Power Supply wattage at idle / light load. This will cause the capacitors (doing the transfer from AC to DC) to ware out, which if left to long wears out the Power Supply which makes it less efficient, and supplies less wattage. Now I said something about 80PLUS. 80PLUS is a certification on a Power Supply for it's current efficiency rating, I've broke all these down below;

Now what this means, a higher efficiency means the power supply losses less wattage when doing the transformation from AC to DC. A lower certification (Like 80Plus+ Bronze) you only get 82% - 84% of the total supply available to your system. The lower the certification means the more heat and noise it introduces to your system.

3. The Motherboard; The motherboard is basically the heart and soul of your PC/Computer. This is the main board 'home' where all your components meet up and work together. Buying a cheap motherboard can result in components not registering, and in certain cases, frying upon being placed into the motherboard. I'd recommend spending a good amount of money on a very good motherboard. Doing so makes sure you're going to get that amazing warranty, the supplied components are going to work with each other, and you're buying from a reputable company. Some companies that have great motherboards follow;

• ASUS
• Gigabyte
• MSI

So with all this information posted into this thread. PLEASE keep this in mind when building a computer. These are the main parts of a successful system and cheap parts will cause it to fail.

Thanks for reading,
ResistTheCanadian

Honestly wouldn't put the case in the #1 spot. I'd prefer a quality PSU. I mean yea a case is nice but so it not having a psu burning your house down.

Realistically, you can cheap on a case. I mean you don't need to spend a retarded amount of money on a good case. It's more or less know what you need and get it. $$ != quality.

The list should be really.
1.PSU
2.CPU
3.Board.

Don't want a shit PSU.
Don't want a shit CPU since that is really the heart of the machine. You aren't doing anything without it. And yea board. Get one with all the features you want on it.
Last edited by Oneup ; 01-13-2014 at 01:19 AM.
01-13-2014, 01:18 AM #3
NeedaSlutSoon
Vault dweller
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
Honestly wouldn't put the case in the #1 spot. I'd prefer a quality PSU. I mean yea a case is nice but so it not having a psu burning your house down.

They're just in random order Smile.
01-13-2014, 01:20 AM #4
Default Avatar
Oneup
They're just in random order Smile.

Well in that case I wouldn't even have it on the list. You can get a shit case and make it work for you. It's really down to the individual to do airflow.
01-13-2014, 02:41 PM #5
Toke
PC Master Race

-

• SilverStone
• Corsair
• Cooler Master
• Fractal Design

• ASUS
• Gigabyte
• MSI

Thanks for reading,
ResistTheCanadian

Just make sure the case has 2 fans to move air and some cable management and a bottom mounted power supply. Power supply just make sure Its good quality like don't get a 1080+ platinum 1000w seasonic for a apu build. And for motherboard yet again make sure its good quality. Don't get a $300 motherboard for a i3 and 4gb of ram
01-13-2014, 09:14 PM #6
AA5
Do a barrel roll!
I agree
04-17-2014, 11:12 PM #7
Stealing my thread back dick.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo