Post: Screen Replay: Create Screencasts In Your Monitor’s Highest Resolution [OS X]
08-12-2014, 10:59 PM #1
Alt
Banned
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

The first thing you notice about using Screen Replay is the miserly approach to layout. There are no loud windows, or intrusive pop-ups, no unintelligible menus. Just a pauperly icon sitting in the menu bar, awaiting your order on when to commence recording. Tech tips and guides rely desperately on screenshots to help specify a point, but I was genuinely worried about how I’d go about it. I have the icon, I have the menubar button and that covers everything. This is as simple as pointing with your finger.

Speaking of absurdly simple, the above paragraph features a succinct guide to operate the app. However in service of simplicity, let’s just talk about it. Launch the app and click on the menu bar icon to start recording. Now, everything you do will be part of the video, including sound. The app uses the internal mic to record the audio in real time, so this is about as perfect a home based video guide solution as you can imagine wanting. Stop recording exactly the way you started it and it will launch the video via Quicktime. The default location for saved files is in the Movies folder. If you want to quit the app, the default ⌘+q won’t work, you will have to do it from the menubar icon.

You can create entire video tutorials using this app, if you are familiar with basic editing techniques, you can even swap in audio if you want. The best part of it was that the app recorded with the exact resolution that I was viewing in. On my MBPr, it recorded at a stable 2560 x 1600 resolution, nary a lag, no jumps and no framerate drops/spikes. The app claims to be able to record as high a resolution as the screen supports, so if you are running 4k resolutions, your guides are probably going to be the highest resolution on Youtube, all the while you end up with very manageable file sizes - depending on runtime of course.

Get You must login or register to view this content.

C&P from You must login or register to view this content.

I downloaded it and it works very well.
<Sorry about background noise, watching some TV program about Monkeys>

As you can see, it goes all the way up to 2160p (4K)

Last edited by Alt ; 08-12-2014 at 11:21 PM.

The following 2 users say thank you to Alt for this useful post:

Heaney
09-03-2014, 03:22 PM #2
Sturmi :3
Do a barrel roll!
or crack Screenflow
09-26-2014, 01:45 AM #3
But i use the swags of cmd + Shift + 4
Oh nm screen recording I use camtasia tho
10-08-2014, 07:38 PM #4
NeedaSlutSoon
Vault dweller