Discussion: Why Do Video Games Need So Many Patches After Release Nowadays? - Page 3 - NextGenUpdate
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
THREAD: Why Do Video Games Need So Many Patches After Release Nowadays?
  1. 02-02-2018, 02:44 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    So I saw someone on twitter bring up an old game I used to play called Socom 2. The game was basically a mash up of SnD, demolition, extraction, etc type game modes in a 8 v 8 format, similar to CoD but first person, and no ranked respawn games. To my recollection it was the most popular online shooter for the PS2 of all time, and lasted well over 2 years even with the release of 2 other Socom titles which did not keep the original code/style of 1/2.*

Anyways, the game only had 4 patches in its entire existence, r0001-r0004. I believe 2 of them were minor as well to patch "God Mode" Glitches which allowed a player to rapidly fire rockets and freeze the game. Obviously necessary. But this game still lasted without developers having to nerf the guns, patch glitches and so forth. Sure, gamers back then gamed with a type of code and there were less randoms. One gun I remember in particular was super OP for the SEALs team, but no one used it because you'd get roasted alive. Mics were huge back then, if you didn't have a mic, you literally could get voted out, which yea lol, anyone could kick someone if the team voted to.*

A little off point but here we are in 2017-18, COD WW2 just released, and they've had countless (is it like 10 tho?) patches to the game just to get it stable and playing right. The graphics might be a little bit better and the development team a lot larger, but something just isn't adding up to me here. The money made from videos games NOW a days is astronomical compared to then. Sure some did sell very well like the GTA series, but with the addition of microtransactions it can't even come close. Games like Fortnite I can understand as it is free for Battle Royale, and a similar situation with PUBG where the team started out a lot smaller and is now building its way up after the explosion of it's own original battle royale. But a $60 AAA release like Call of Duty WW2 I just cannot vibe with. I thought the game was fun while I played for the first month, but it just does not have the repetitive playability and seeing all these issues, complaints and suggestions go unheralded is just really strange to me.*

What went wrong here xD Was it that they were planning for AW2 and had to switch up a year and a half through?*
  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

3. 03-15-2018, 03:20 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    Sponsored Links

Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    So I saw someone on twitter bring up an old game I used to play called Socom 2. The game was basically a mash up of SnD, demolition, extraction, etc type game modes in a 8 v 8 format, similar to CoD but first person, and no ranked respawn games. To my recollection it was the most popular online shooter for the PS2 of all time, and lasted well over 2 years even with the release of 2 other Socom titles which did not keep the original code/style of 1/2.*

Anyways, the game only had 4 patches in its entire existence, r0001-r0004. I believe 2 of them were minor as well to patch "God Mode" Glitches which allowed a player to rapidly fire rockets and freeze the game. Obviously necessary. But this game still lasted without developers having to nerf the guns, patch glitches and so forth. Sure, gamers back then gamed with a type of code and there were less randoms. One gun I remember in particular was super OP for the SEALs team, but no one used it because you'd get roasted alive. Mics were huge back then, if you didn't have a mic, you literally could get voted out, which yea lol, anyone could kick someone if the team voted to.*

A little off point but here we are in 2017-18, COD WW2 just released, and they've had countless (is it like 10 tho?) patches to the game just to get it stable and playing right. The graphics might be a little bit better and the development team a lot larger, but something just isn't adding up to me here. The money made from videos games NOW a days is astronomical compared to then. Sure some did sell very well like the GTA series, but with the addition of microtransactions it can't even come close. Games like Fortnite I can understand as it is free for Battle Royale, and a similar situation with PUBG where the team started out a lot smaller and is now building its way up after the explosion of it's own original battle royale. But a $60 AAA release like Call of Duty WW2 I just cannot vibe with. I thought the game was fun while I played for the first month, but it just does not have the repetitive playability and seeing all these issues, complaints and suggestions go unheralded is just really strange to me.*

What went wrong here xD Was it that they were planning for AW2 and had to switch up a year and a half through?*
    As most.. they tend to release a half arsed game that isn't complete... plus it looks as they tend to release before testing.
  4. Sponsored Links
  5. 04-07-2018, 06:21 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    Wish games were updateless
  6. 04-11-2018, 09:53 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    but they wouldn't like remaster ps2 games into ps4.
  7. 04-13-2018, 10:59 AM
    Emir11
    Gobble
    Emir11
    Gobble
    NextGenUpdate
    bu oyun nasıl önerir misiniz
  8. 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM
    Wanhada
    Keeper
    Wanhada
    Keeper
    NextGenUpdate
    To fix the bugs and also to make it look like game enhancements
  9. 05-25-2018, 10:56 PM
    NIO77
    Bounty hunter
    NIO77
    Bounty hunter
    NextGenUpdate
    because they need to make a profit and release game as fast as possible
  10. 06-02-2018, 08:11 AM
    NextGenUpdate
    They need to released finished games. Devs would rather release half-finished games and then push updates if people complain enough. That and what Vince said.
  11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikejackey For This Useful Post:

12. 06-21-2018, 05:30 PM
    Xenon440
    Gobble
    Xenon440
    Gobble
    NextGenUpdate
    Devs know people will complain about something no matter what. So in an attempt to appeal to these people, a fan jerk , they plan to release multiple patches to create the appearance that they care what your saying and are doings about it. They do not.

Nothing is rushed and it's not because they didnt do enough testing , its literally apart of their plan.
  13. 06-23-2018, 04:31 AM
    NextGenUpdate
    Hm.. but they wouldn't like remaster ps2 games into ps4.
  14. 07-16-2018, 10:46 AM
    Steeden87
    NextGenUpdate Elite
    Steeden87
    NextGenUpdate Elite
    NextGenUpdate
    I don't usually buy games until theyre cheap. By then any bugs are usually ironed out.
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3