07-31-2014, 08:37 AM #1
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Hello NextGenUpdate and fellow PC Master Race bretheran. Cryptic Soldier here bringing you another quality thread. This time I'm going to show you something that you may, or may not as in my case, know. A somewhat secerte feature of Steam. o.O WHATTT? Impossible. While you may refute me, I intend to indeed show you that, yes, there is a very unknown, yet very well known, feature of Steam. Let's take a look shall we?

One of the many features about Steam, and probably its most unknown, is that you can Skin (theme) Steam.

It's very easy to do, and only involves a file placement and steam restart.

Any and all Steam Skins you download will be downloaded in a .zip file. You'll need to extract the contents of the file to skin your steam client. At the end of this post you'll find links to a few of the most popular Steam Skins.

Once you've extracted the files you should see a single folder that has the title of the Steam Skin you downloaded, that's all you need.

Once you have your folder, uou'll need to navigate to your Steam Skins Folder. Unless you have a seperate drive for Steam it should be located at C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Skins.

Once you've located your folder, all you have to do is drop the extracted file into the Skins folder and you're done.
Alternatively you can extract the files directly to the folder to save some time.

Once your Skin folder is in the Skin folder (lol), Open the settings in your Steam Client.

Now depending on your version of Steam this next section may look a little different, but the instructions are the same. I'll show images for both the beta client, and the stock vanilla client.

You want to open your Interface settings in Steam Settings, from which you'll be able to select the Skin you wish yo use, as seen below:

--OR--

Once you select your Skin, Steam should auto restart and you'll notice your new Skin.

It's that simple.

Some popular skins are linked below, as well as a link to many more.

NOTE: Some of these skins are more intrusive to install than others, IF there are ANY included Readme's with these skins, I STRONGLY URGE you to read them prior to install.

My personal favorite (and the one I'm using): PixelVision - You must login or register to view this content. -- Preview of this skin provided by ICS Vortex - You must login or register to view this content. - His post - You must login or register to view this content.You must login or register to view this content.
Things to look at: Top right where his name is, icons along the top denoting Library, Store, Community, etc., his friends list, the chat window.

Metro (Win 8 Theme) - You must login or register to view this content.

Air - You must login or register to view this content.

Link to many more: You must login or register to view this content.

Sources for images: You must login or register to view this content. & You must login or register to view this content.
Sources for Skins: You must login or register to view this content.

Praise be unto GabeN. Hail Valve.
#PCMasterRace
/r/pcmasterrace
Last edited by Cryptic ; 02-10-2015 at 12:34 AM.

The following 7 users say thank you to Cryptic for this useful post:

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ, BroIDontMod, Elk, Juan, Dan, ResistTheSun, ICS Vortex
07-31-2014, 08:45 AM #2
Great tutorial Enzo

The following user thanked ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ for this useful post:

Cryptic
07-31-2014, 08:46 AM #3
ICS Vortex
Between Light and Lies
:megusta:

The following user thanked ICS Vortex for this useful post:

Cryptic
07-31-2014, 08:48 AM #4
Cryptic
Originally posted by Babies View Post
Great tutorial Enzo

Why thank you Sir. Enzo

Originally posted by ICS
:megusta:

AHH PIXELVISION! See isn't it fucking bad ass? I'm going to link your post and image in the main post as a preview for it.

Edit: Wtf are the white spots in your image? Those are not on my Client.
07-31-2014, 08:59 AM #5
ICS Vortex
Between Light and Lies
Originally posted by Cryptic
Why thank you Sir. Enzo

AHH PIXELVISION! See isn't it fucking bad ass? I'm going to link your post and image in the main post as a preview for it.

Edit: Wtf are the white spots in your image? Those are not on my Client.

I'm using the good ol' screensnapr and it does that on occasion with dark images.
Here's a fresh one:
Last edited by ICS Vortex ; 07-31-2014 at 09:05 AM.

The following user thanked ICS Vortex for this useful post:

Cryptic
07-31-2014, 09:00 AM #6
Cryptic
Originally posted by ICS
I'm using the good ol' screensnapr and it does that on occasion with dark images.
Here's a fresh one:

MUCH better, I'll amend the post.
07-31-2014, 09:38 AM #7
Elk
Lithium.
Hello NextGenUpdate and fellow PC Master Race bretheran. Cryptic Soldier here bringing you another quality thread. This time I'm going to show you something that you may, or may not as in my case, know. A somewhat secerte feature of Steam. o.O WHATTT? Impossible. While you may refute me, I intend to indeed show you that, yes, there is a very unknown, yet very well known, feature of Steam. Let's take a look shall we?

One of the many features about Steam, and probably its most unknown, is that you can Skin (theme) Steam.

It's very easy to do, and only involves a file placement and steam restart.

Any and all Steam Skins you download will be downloaded in a .zip file. You'll need to extract the contents of the file to skin your steam client. At the end of this post you'll find links to a few of the most popular Steam Skins.

Once you've extracted the files you should see a single folder that has the title of the Steam Skin you downloaded, that's all you need.

Once you have your folder, uou'll need to navigate to your Steam Skins Folder. Unless you have a seperate drive for Steam it should be located at C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Skins.

Once you've located your folder, all you have to do is drop the extracted file into the Skins folder and you're done.
Alternatively you can extract the files directly to the folder to save some time.

Once your Skin folder is in the Skin folder (lol), Open the settings in your Steam Client.

Now depending on your version of Steam this next section may look a little different, but the instructions are the same. I'll show images for both the beta client, and the stock vanilla client.

You want to open your Interface settings in Steam Settings, from which you'll be able to select the Skin you wish yo use, as seen below:

--OR--

Once you select your Skin, Steam should auto restart and you'll notice your new Skin.

It's that simple.

Some popular skins are linked below, as well as a link to many more.

NOTE: Some of these skins are more intrusive to install than others (especially Meto), IF there are ANY included Readme's with these skins, I STRONGLY URGE you to read them prior to install.

My personal favorite (and the one I'm using): PixelVision - You must login or register to view this content. -- Preview of this skin provided by ICS Vortex - You must login or register to view this content. - His post - You must login or register to view this content.You must login or register to view this content.
Things to look at: Top right where his name is, icons along the top denoting Library, Store, Community, etc., his friends list, the chat window.

Metro (Win 8 Theme) - You must login or register to view this content.

Air - You must login or register to view this content.

Link to many more: You must login or register to view this content.

Sources for images: You must login or register to view this content. & You must login or register to view this content.
Sources for Skins: You must login or register to view this content.

Praise be unto GabeN. Hail Valve.
#PCMasterRace
/r/pcmasterrace

Awesome tutorial man!

The following 2 users say thank you to Elk for this useful post:

Cryptic, Dan
07-31-2014, 09:48 AM #8
Dan
I'm a god.
snip

Awesome find. There's some sweet themes to use. :p

Also, PC MASTER RACE!

The following user thanked Dan for this useful post:

Cryptic
07-31-2014, 09:54 AM #9
Cryptic
Originally posted by Dan View Post
Awesome find. There's some sweet themes to use. :p

Also, PC MASTER RACE!

I didn't find it, only collected information. From the looks of it, it's been apart of Steam for a while. Doesn't look like they ever made a big announcement about it, which is why, I'd assume, no one really knows about it.

The following user thanked Cryptic for this useful post:

Dan
10-17-2014, 01:15 PM #10
Last edited by Mozzy ; 09-12-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo