03-04-2015, 01:22 AM #1
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Valve has formally unveiled Source Engine 2, the third major engine to go free to developers at GDC 2015.

You must login or register to view this content.

Source 2 is the successor to the engine Valve has been using since Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2.

Valve didn’t have much to say about the technicalities of this long-awaited release. It is apparently focused on “creator productivity”.

“Given how important user generated content is becoming, Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favorite games,” Valve’s Jay Stelly said.

“We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers. This combined with recent announcements by Epic and Unity will help continue the PCs dominance as the premiere content authoring platform.”

Source 2 will support Vulkan, which is a cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API making it easier for developers and hardware manufacturers to make beautiful pictures together. You might have known it as Next Generation OpenGL.

A new engine might not seem super exciting for the end user but hardcore Valve fans have been stalking this particular prey for at least five years. Like, someone once took a photo at Valve HQ that apparently “confirmed” Source 2 was coming and people went nuts over it. What would the world be like if we were all alike, and that.

Source: You must login or register to view this content. (yeah it's copy and paste, bite me I aint a reporter).

The following 2 users say thank you to Cryptic for this useful post:

Toke, Rath
03-04-2015, 01:23 AM #2
Stunz
Former Staff
Originally posted by Cryptic
Valve has formally unveiled Source Engine 2, the third major engine to go free to developers at GDC 2015.

You must login or register to view this content.

Source 2 is the successor to the engine Valve has been using since Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2.

Valve didn’t have much to say about the technicalities of this long-awaited release. It is apparently focused on “creator productivity”.

“Given how important user generated content is becoming, Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favorite games,” Valve’s Jay Stelly said.

“We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers. This combined with recent announcements by Epic and Unity will help continue the PCs dominance as the premiere content authoring platform.”

Source 2 will support Vulkan, which is a cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API making it easier for developers and hardware manufacturers to make beautiful pictures together. You might have known it as Next Generation OpenGL.

A new engine might not seem super exciting for the end user but hardcore Valve fans have been stalking this particular prey for at least five years. Like, someone once took a photo at Valve HQ that apparently “confirmed” Source 2 was coming and people went nuts over it. What would the world be like if we were all alike, and that.

Source: You must login or register to view this content. (yeah it's copy and paste, bite me I aint a reporter).

That's awesome, will have to try it! Thanks CS Smile
03-06-2015, 02:27 AM #3
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
I'm just curious as to what it means for CS:GO and people's inventories. If it won't be ported, then I want to liquidate my INV while it's still worth some money.
03-09-2015, 06:59 AM #4
PussayPatrol
I'm a neat monster...
I'm just curious as to what it means for CS:GO and people's inventories. If it won't be ported, then I want to liquidate my INV while it's still worth some money.

Its highly unlikely they'll touch csgo, trust me. They're making way too much money to fuck with it.

The following user thanked PussayPatrol for this useful post:

Rath
03-09-2015, 02:52 PM #5
Rath
Today Will Be Different

Counter Strike has like another five to eight years before Valve will consider re-making it on Source 2. Well at least that's what I speculate since the span between Source and GO was around eight years in total. :p

The following user thanked Rath for this useful post:

03-10-2015, 06:20 PM #6
CyberNomadic
Web Developer
CS:GO is not going anywhere, but Source 2 being free is awesome, expecting a lot of great games to come from it. Plus Vulkan support <3 <3 <3 <3

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo