08-23-2009, 01:53 PM #1
iDeska
Bounty hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
How to Keep Your XBOX 360 Healthy

Which way to stand it up:
There has been lots of speculation over this, so heres my take on it.

Standing it Up

Good things:

1. It makes the mother board ( Bottom of the Xbox) Higher off the ground, resulting in more heat escaping more easily.

Bad Things:

1. The disk inside is turning against the laws of gravity making the XBOX work harder.
2. It can be knocked over more easily, causing major disk damage, and or damage to the console.

Lying it Down.

Good Things.

1. The Disk can rotate more easily, leaving the XBOX to not work as hard.
2. It is very hard. to be knocked over unless your an idiot.

Bad Things.

1. I didn't find many raw facts but the more i looked the more cases I found of peoples XBOX's breaking.
2. The Motherboard is very close to the ground and the heat is trapped causing the oh so feared RROD

Put it upside Down!

This unblocks the bottom Vent if you were standing it up you would have had a whole vent blocked!

Tips for the Both.

Standing it Up

1. Put a towel or something soft underneath it so the bottom doesnt scratch.
2. NEVER Move it with a disk inside, this applies for both the ways you stand it.

Lying it Down

1. Put 2-4 videos or DVD's underneath it so it's not so close to the ground.
2. Make Sure the Cords aren't running behind the fans. ( Applies for both )

Where to Put it:
This can be vital as to whether you get the RROD or not

1. Don't leave it where sunlight can get to it, if it's over 25 Degrees Celsius it's just like playing it.
2. Don't leave the cords behind it, All ready mentioned but it is important.
3. Make sure air can escape out of everywhere, up, down, left, right. So as much can get away.
4. If you choose to stand it up do not have it too high off the ground, if it's knocked it could be fatal.
5. Dont put it on Carpet, all sorts of dust and fibres can get trapped in the XBOX
6. Wipe the back fans a tissue every now and then to keep it clean.

Playing Hours:

Simple, playing over about 5 hours a day is a good way to get RROD, Stop at about 4 hours just to make sure.
Just little things can help make RROD more likely, so don't play too long.

Some Stupid Methods to Fix RROD

1.Once it has RROD leave it for a few hours and come back, wrap it in a damp towel for
a few hours, come back and see if it works, ( May not work for everyone)
2. This one is just retarded - put it in the microwave for 10 minutes. Jeez...

Just Send it into MicroSoft, God Damnit...

I Hope i helped you and if you think i missed anything PM me or post it and ill Squeeze it in, Thanks.

Some Pictures to help explain The Motherboard when lying down Situation:

You must login or register to view this content.
Here you can see that this is the side you lay it down on.

You must login or register to view this content.
Here is what i meant, put some books there to let Air Escape.

The following 4 users say thank you to iDeska for this useful post:

joshuajoshua2, Kaspa, ls18, Temphaa
08-23-2009, 01:58 PM #2
cool, nice guide
08-23-2009, 02:19 PM #3
Kaspa
MUDAMUDAMUDA!!!
I don't have an xbox yet, looking to get one, thanks for the guide Smile
thanked.
08-27-2009, 12:56 AM #4
dont matter, it will still screw up, and you'll have to send it bak to microsoft, like 90% of us do LOL
08-27-2009, 01:54 PM #5
DiXiEnOrMoUz28
A.K.A Daboss1288
well i got something to add to the list that might help install games to your hdd i installed all the games i play alot and the annoying sounds and loud noises the 360 make go away and it doesnt run as hot due to the fan not constantly on and the system not working as hard so if your like me and play alot i would do this along with keeping space around the 360
10-03-2009, 01:40 AM #6
Originally posted by daboss1288 View Post
well i got something to add to the list that might help install games to your hdd i installed all the games i play alot and the annoying sounds and loud noises the 360 make go away and it doesnt run as hot due to the fan not constantly on and the system not working as hard so if your like me and play alot i would do this along with keeping space around the 360

Good post. I appreciate it
Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.
10-03-2009, 01:47 AM #7
Dopey
NGU :/
hmmm really its just common sense...
i have my xbox on a wooden shelf laying down. the fans should never be blocked! besides that youll eventually get rrod. they rushed into releasing it and yea...
10-03-2009, 03:02 AM #8
This helps to

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvBvGAMXmc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - How to prevent The Red Ring Of Death[/ame]

1.Place your Xbox at least 20 cm far from any walls.

2.Put it in such an area where fresh air can pass easily.

3.Consider your playing limitations. Over use or excessive playing can increase overheating problem. Even the life of the console normally depends upon how frequent you use it.

4.Option: use extra fan in case the area where you have kept your console does not have any ventilation, it may help the console to cool gradually avoiding overheat. These fans can be purchased for 30 dollars which is not expensive compared to any repairing charges.

5.Last but not the least, turn the console off when not in use. It will not only avoid heat but also saves electricity.

6. If you don't have the original box use something else similar to this.
10-03-2009, 03:14 AM #9
xScreamo!
Trading Kids For Angel Dust
Xbox SUX!!!!!!!! lol i like xbox and ps3
10-03-2009, 05:38 AM #10
н1web
Always Faithful
In my opinion that's just way too much unnecessary precautions to take just to assume you'll be able to play your console safely for a longer than average lifespan. After my 3rd RROD on my own personal console I went and installed hardware mods to ensure it wouldn't happen again. I just bought a second 360 off ebay for $80 it was an elite RROD about 2 weeks ago got it home inspected it and performed a reball on the graphics and processing units which fixed it perfectly (replacing the lead free solder spheres under the chips with lead solder) then on mine I installed a koolance liquid cooling kit which I modified to be all internal since I didn't like the idea of a external reservoir and with the extra space given by removing the huge heat sinks I installed a few extra 12v fans to increase airflow.

On the other 360 I installed the new upgraded GPU and CPU heatsinks for the 360, installed a talismoon fan and increased it's voltage and added a speed control unit to increase airflow on warmer days and I created more "stealth" air ducts on the sides they look like they were factory designed I was told but they work great you can really feel the air blowing out they direct air from the surface of the motherboard and haven't had issues with either system and doubt I will but too me better than hoping and poking all these crazy guesses on how to make the system live longer.

Overall though I think it's ridiculous 360 users have to spend extra money to repair their console they already paid for just to keep it in satisfactory condition but I actually enjoy taking it apart and fixing them and still prefer it over my ps3.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo