02-19-2016, 12:05 AM #1
Rath
Today Will Be Different
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Okay, surely everyone has seen Apple's letter regarding the federal government asking for a back door in to iPhone and other devices. If you haven't, then read it. You must login or register to view this content.

If you have, what are your opinions on what Apple is doing? Do you believe they should give into the demands of the FBI? Or stay true to the American people as they currently are? I personally agree with Apple on this one. Sure, we can presume the intentions are good. But the unintended consequences later down the road - the unknown if you will - is what worries me. I truly hope Apple continues to stay true to themselves, and the American people. Apple and the FBI need not to set precedent that could potentially counter the thesis behind encryption. As it has been said, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
02-19-2016, 01:57 AM #2
CyberNomadic
Web Developer
I believe Apple is doing the right thing here and standing for not only their rights as a corporation, but the rights of the people as well..

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but what if there is a backdoor and Apple + the FBI are doing this fake case as a way to make people believe there isn't one.
Last edited by CyberNomadic ; 02-19-2016 at 02:01 AM.
02-19-2016, 02:02 AM #3
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by CyberNomadic View Post
I believe Apple is doing the right thing here and standing for not only their rights as a corporation, but the rights of the people as well..

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but what if there is a backdoor and Apple + the FBI are doing this fake case as a way to make people believe there isn't one.

im already wearing my tinfoil hat i tack welded it to my cyborg body
02-19-2016, 02:03 AM #4
CyberNomadic
Web Developer
Originally posted by Toke View Post
im already wearing my tinfoil hat i tack welded it to my cyborg body

Get in the fridge. The NSA can't hear you when us when we talk in the fridge!!
02-19-2016, 02:11 AM #5
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by CyberNomadic View Post
Get in the fridge. The NSA can't hear you when us when we talk in the fridge!!

make sure u cover ur roof with tinfoil too and your windows and most importantly ur dog
02-19-2016, 02:13 AM #6
Joel
[move]Sal:madsal::laim:[/move]
Originally posted by Rath View Post
Okay, surely everyone has seen Apple's letter regarding the federal government asking for a back door in to iPhone and other devices. If you haven't, then read it. You must login or register to view this content.

If you have, what are your opinions on what Apple is doing? Do you believe they should give into the demands of the FBI? Or stay true to the American people as they currently are? I personally agree with Apple on this one. Sure, we can presume the intentions are good. But the unintended consequences later down the road - the unknown if you will - is what worries me. I truly hope Apple continues to stay true to themselves, and the American people. Apple and the FBI need not to set precedent that could potentially counter the thesis behind encryption. As it has been said, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I don't see what they would find in an iPhone tbh, but I don't see how they should be granted to have a backdoor in the device when they can always check through text message / phone call logs...
02-19-2016, 02:14 AM #7
CyberNomadic
Web Developer
Originally posted by Toke View Post
make sure u cover ur roof with tinfoil too and your windows and most importantly ur dog

Yes, the NSA shall not know my dog's thoughts.
02-19-2016, 05:29 PM #8
Rath
Today Will Be Different
Originally posted by Joel View Post
I don't see what they would find in an iPhone tbh, but I don't see how they should be granted to have a backdoor in the device when they can always check through text message / phone call logs...

There is definitely some ulterior motives regarding the FBI's demand for a backdoor into Apple's devices. I guess we're past the unwarranted wiring tapping days and into the direct access to everyone's device days.
03-03-2016, 07:21 PM #9
JB
[i]Remember, no Russian.[/i]
I've held off against putting my two cents in on this thread for a considerable amount of time so I can fully understand the implications and to see how things would play out over the first week or so. It's been just over two weeks and I now feel it's time for me to add my input and thoughts. It's gonna be a long reply - if you just wanna get the jist of my opinion, there's a tl;dr at the bottom, however I strongly recommend you to read my post completely so you can fully understand the serious implications of this situation.

So, to first help anyone who doesn't fully understand what exactly the government is imposing, they are [s]requesting[/s] ordering Apple to create a so-called GovtOS - a modified build of iOS that, once installed on an iOS-based device, bypasses nearly all security measures that Apple has placed on the device to protect your data in the chance it ends up in the wrong hands. These security measures include the passcode attempt limit, which wipes your device after 10 failed passcode entries, and disallowing passcode entry via any means other than the touchscreen (meaning passcodes cannot be sent electronically via a 30-pin cable/lightning cable, to disable compluter bruteforcing). This was only to be used in the case of the San Bernardino terrorist attacks, of which they recovered one of the terrorist's cell phones, an iPhone 5C. It would allow the FBI to view any and all messages, contacts, call logs and other information that still resided on the phone, without worrying about having the data completely deleted from the device.

Now, the implications. Let's first of all look at this logically. The FBI is effectively asking Apple to make a "master key" that will, when installed on a device, allow them to gain access to the device (they'll still need to bruteforce the passcode, but the master key will allow that with relative ease). This operating system (which does not yet exist) would allow not only the FBI, but anyone with access to it, to gain access to any iOS-based device in the world, with the only catch being you'll effectively need a computer to bruteforce the passcode. This is major, and it isn't good. That passcode is used to encrypt your data (since iOS 9) and make it non-readable to everyone unless supplied to the device and unlocked. Imagine if that operating system ended up in the wrong hands? Devices worldwide could be tricked into installing the compromised operating system, and everyone would be at risk - not one of you with an iOS device would be safe. Everyone's data would be accessible.

The situation we're in is similar to the video above. Would you want someone with malicious intent to get their hands on a "master key" like Bart does in the episode above? I'd personally prefer it was never created in the first place.

Let's now see how this will affect us in the long run. The worst case scenario for an outcome is that this GovtOS gets created, ends up being stolen/leaked/discovered and installed on hundreds/thousands/millions of devices all around the world. Maybe it doesn't come to that at all and it stays safe in the FBI's hands. You must login or register to view this content.:

Originally posted by another user
Manhattan prosecutor Cyrus Vance has said he has a backlog of 175 locked iPhones awaiting the resolution of the Apple-FBI fight, which is almost certain to be decided in high federal courts.

This is exactly the problem that's been pointed out since day one of this issue - this sets a precedence, allowing the FBI to just use it over and over, even if they claim to only need it for one device. Sure, it's more than likely going to help them, but is it worth invading the privacy of millions of users over one case?

And to you guys running Android/Windows Phone/other - don't for a minute think this doesn't apply to you. This entire shitstorm of a case that will potentially protect the privacy of every iOS user will affect you as the case sets a precedence - if they can win against Apple, they can win against Google, Microsoft and so on. Nobody will be safe from this. Today, it's Apple's fight. Tomorrow, it could be Google's. If the FBI win, it's only a matter of time until they start requesting that Google and co. create government backdoors. Don't let these fuckers invade our privacy, our data, our lives. Stand against the ruling and know what's at stake, because this could potentially change everything you've ever considered about privacy.

tl;dr: the FBI wants Apple to remove all the security measures they've placed on iOS over the last ten years so they can read the data of a recovered iPhone from a terrorist attack that, while it may help them crack down on terrorism, will also mean the end to privacy on mobile devices as we know it.

The following 6 users say thank you to JB for this useful post:

edub, Frosty, Kam, JokerRey, Darth Saul, Rath
03-03-2016, 07:56 PM #10
JokerRey
League Champion
Fuck this, I just want to go back to using this sexy beast and avoid this big headache.

You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by JokerRey ; 03-03-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo