THREAD: Robert Bowling- Perfect Weapon Balancing Not Possible
  1. 02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
    Chaz
    Tremble Underfoot
    Chaz
    Tremble Underfoot
    NextGenUpdate
    Robert Bowling States That Weapon Balancing is Subjective
    Source: You must login or register to view this content. // By: Chaz-Angus // Feb 20. 2012

You must login or register to view this content.

In a recent interview, Creative Strategist for Infinity Ward, Robert Bowling, stated
    that crafting a perfectly balanced game is one of the hardest parts of making the game.

"I think ideal balance is possible, but perfect balance is subjective to the individual player," said Bowling in a recent interview with NowGamer. "So if we nerf shotguns, the people who love shotguns are going to be angry, and if we buff shotguns, the people who love shotguns will be happy, but everyone else will be upset. But Bowling admits that finding a perfect balance is "entirely subjective, as it all depends on your preferred play style."

Bowling also answered some questions about the obviously over-powered, and possibly over-used,
    Type 95. Bowling isn't oblivious to the criticism that the Type 95 receives.

"We do, and it’s because the Type 95 is a very easy weapon to use," said Bowling, "where something like the MK14 – which is what I’ve actually been using recently – is a very powerful weapon, but in my opinion it requires more skill to use than the Type 95."

It's not just down to player skill, however, with Bowling saying that - due to Type 95's "lower barrier to entry" - there's more exposure to the weapon, "so it’s only natural that it’s the gun that gets the most comments."

In the end, Bowling states that a players ability to get kills isn't determined by individual weapon stats.
    It is about skill level and a players own ability to get kills. If you wish you can read the full article You must login or register to view this content..

As much as I want to say Robert Bowling is wrong and the game is horrible, (just an opinion, don't get butthurt)
    he is absolutely right. No FPS that I have played so far in my lifetime has been perfectly balanced. It inevitably
    comes down to your own skill level and ability to get kills. Bowling is right on this one guys. No matter how you look at it.

Thanks for reading and stopping by!

Chaz-Angus :fa:

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

, , , , ,

3. 02-22-2012, 10:29 PM
    xSiiK---AT0MIK
    ಠ_ಠ
    xSiiK---AT0MIK
    ಠ_ಠ
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by Angus View Post

In the end, Bowling states that a players ability to get kills isn't determined by individual weapon stats.
    It is about skill level and a players own ability to get kills. If you wish you can read the full article You must login or register to view this content..

As much as I want to say Robert Bowling is wrong and the game is horrible, (just an opinion, don't get butthurt)
    he is absolutely right. No FPS that I have played so far in my lifetime has been perfectly balanced. It inevitably
    comes down to your own skill level and ability to get kills. Bowling is right on this one guys. No matter how you look at it.

Thanks for reading and stopping by!

Chaz-Angus :fa:

i think we all know skill has nothing to do with MW3 its the bullshit lag or camping just like every other cod game

some games have has near perfect weapon balance like MOH:AA or R:FOM so he cant say no games perfect its just a shit excuse for sum1 that cant be ****ed doing anything about it

can easily summarize it into a list

gotta be a piss take?: FMG's, ACR, PP90, MP7, type95, flash and stuns, reaper, pavelow
    too good: assault rifles, most smgs, JAVLIN/Stinger

absolute wank: all other launchers, all grenades, ALL SNIPERS, ALL NON machine pistol secondarys, ALL LMG's

balanced: p90, CM901, osprey gunner

there are also guns that are extremely poor when having lag like the mk14 it can take up to 8 shots yes 8 shots from close range with lag or on the other hand guns that can kill in 1-2 bullets from any range.. namely the type 95

2 guns with the right balance out of how many?

treyarch have always been IW's bitch for reasons i cant understand, they always upstage IW in all departments for example weapon balance has always been as close as cod can get to perfect even the MP40 on W@W wasent OP people just assumed it was and stuck with it, the type95 or tommy gun would kill faster up close

lag comp was experimental when tryarch did it so we cant blame them for it getting forced on them but IW has had 2 years to work on it and its even worse
  4. The Following User Thanked xSiiK---AT0MIK For This Useful Post:

5. 02-22-2012, 11:07 PM
    hitman2120
    Do a barrel roll!
    hitman2120
    Do a barrel roll!
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by AT0MIK View Post
    i think we all know skill has nothing to do with MW3 its the bullshit lag or camping just like every other cod game

some games have has near perfect weapon balance like MOH:AA or R:FOM so he cant say no games perfect its just a shit excuse for sum1 that cant be ****ed doing anything about it

can easily summarize it into a list

gotta be a piss take?: FMG's, ACR, PP90, MP7, type95, flash and stuns, reaper, pavelow
    too good: assault rifles, most smgs, JAVLIN/Stinger

absolute wank: all other launchers, all grenades, ALL SNIPERS, ALL NON machine pistol secondarys, ALL LMG's

balanced: p90, CM901, osprey gunner

there are also guns that are extremely poor when having lag like the mk14 it can take up to 8 shots yes 8 shots from close range with lag or on the other hand guns that can kill in 1-2 bullets from any range.. namely the type 95

2 guns with the right balance out of how many?

treyarch have always been IW's bitch for reasons i cant understand, they always upstage IW in all departments for example weapon balance has always been as close as cod can get to perfect even the MP40 on W@W wasent OP people just assumed it was and stuck with it, the type95 or tommy gun would kill faster up close

lag comp was experimental when tryarch did it so we cant blame them for it getting forced on them but IW has had 2 years to work on it and its even worse

Finally someone who gets it.

The guns don't have to be identical to be well balanced; there are a lot of factors that a developer can play around with to properly balance the guns such as magazine size, damage, recoil, fire rate, amount of starting ammo, hipfire crosshair size and even iron sights. Overpowered guns are "overpowered" because they excel in too many categories. The MP7 for example, has extremely low recoil, moderate fire rate, fairly high damage, pretty large mag capacity and one of the best default iron sights. Put extended mags and silencer on it and you have a face-raping machine.

There is nothing the PM-9 or the P90 can do that the MP7 can't do better and that is an obvious sign of poor balancing.

Treyarch has always been overshadowed because of the sub-par CoDs they used to make such as CoD3 but ever since then they have really made strides in their development. In my opinion Black Ops was hands down the best CoD to launch on consoles, second only to the original MW. Unfortunately the majority of the player base are pitiful and whether they admit or not they need a crutch because frankly, they are just awful. They need their claustrophobic maps to kill someone within 10 seconds or else they will get bored. So of course IW in their never-ending crusade to one up Treyarch put in deathstreaks and support to make everyone feel like a winner.

IW may be loved but they sure haven't reciprocated the feelings to their fan base. How long did it take them to fix a simple rock glitch in the MW2 map pack? Many people may not know this but while developing the original MW they even kept the ideas of perks and killstreaks a secret from Treyarch. It was not until a few months prior to launch did they reveal the revamped gameplay and so Treyarch had to rush to put in these features for their iteration in the series. Sure IW got a lot of praise in the process but in the end who got shafted? The consumers who rode the hype train to buy WaW only to be disappointed because IW was too selfish to share info with their fellow devs.
  6. The Following User Thanked hitman2120 For This Useful Post:

7. 02-23-2012, 03:29 AM
    NextGenUpdate
    I doubt that it will to be completely honest.

It is kind of :dumb: to have a attachment proficiency on a gun with no attachments stare
  8. 02-23-2012, 03:42 AM
    Cubs
    Next year is the year..
    Cubs
    Next year is the year..
    NextGenUpdate
    how bout no guns, no knifes, no anything. all you do is run around and jump at each other.
  9. 02-23-2012, 04:57 AM
    Chaz
    Tremble Underfoot
    Chaz
    Tremble Underfoot
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by RippinandTearin View Post
    how bout no guns, no knifes, no anything. all you do is run around and jump at each other.

This gave me a really good chuckle :lol:
  10. 02-23-2012, 07:15 PM
    Dylan_NGU
    Little One
    Dylan_NGU
    Little One
    NextGenUpdate
    Now that you mention it, I honestly do remember R:FOM being extremely well-balanced.
    Maybe not perfectly balanced, but pretty damn close! I remember that was the first multiplayer game I
    ever played. Oh the memories :happycry:

I know. I hate that resistance 3 is not good. R:FOM was amazingly balanced. Human vs. Human was perfectly balanced IMO. Human vs. Chimera was as well balanced as it could be. Chimeran had the rage mode, and could see through walls, but to constantly use it you would be at half health. Then the Humans could run, crouch, and had a mini-map on their HUD. Then all weapons were pickup. GOD BRING THIS GAME BACK TO ITS PRIME!!!
  11. 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
    Chaz
    Tremble Underfoot
    Chaz
    Tremble Underfoot
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by NGU View Post
    I know. I hate that resistance 3 is not good. R:FOM was amazingly balanced. Human vs. Human was perfectly balanced IMO. Human vs. Chimera was as well balanced as it could be. Chimeran had the rage mode, and could see through walls, but to constantly use it you would be at half health. Then the Humans could run, crouch, and had a mini-map on their HUD. Then all weapons were pickup. GOD BRING THIS GAME BACK TO ITS PRIME!!!

I personally like Resistance 3 Smile

Yet thinking about balance, Fall of Man was definitely superior.