05-23-2011, 03:12 AM #1
|C++|
< ^ > < ^ >
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); whats the point of opengl if you have 3dsmax where you can create your own 3d images and then use them in c++ to make games??it might sound like a really dumb question to you all but im new to the api business, just finished learning c++.
05-23-2011, 03:17 AM #2
Ritztro
I am a Game Developer
Originally posted by SLiiTH3R View Post
whats the point of opengl if you have 3dsmax where you can create your own 3d images and then use them in c++ to make games??it might sound like a really dumb question to you all but im new to the api business, just finished learning c++.

OpenGL is what you use to load the models lol. It is pretty much everything graphics so you actually could use all three but not just two.
05-23-2011, 03:46 AM #3
|C++|
< ^ > < ^ >
so all opengl is good for is loading objects??
05-23-2011, 06:14 AM #4
Ritztro
I am a Game Developer
Originally posted by SLiiTH3R View Post
so all opengl is good for is loading objects??

No, it does everything with graphics. Trust me, anything with cross-platform graphics uses opengl (except for xbox and windows, windows can but people like to use directx) and then they also might load their models into it so they can render them. Just look up what has been made with it and what it does.
05-25-2011, 06:44 PM #5
3DS Max is a modelling and rendering tool.
OpenGL is what uses the models created in 3DS Max and renders them in real time to allow you to interact.

Here's a question, what renders the frames you see when you play a game. Its obviously not 3DS Max. Its the 3D engine that the game uses whether that's DirectX or OpenGL.

Stuff you don't need to know :

Also, most graphics cards are optimized for OpenGL and DirectX where 3DS Max (Mentalray Render engine [Standard]) renders frames using the CPU (other third-party render engines for 3DS Max e.g: VRay can render utilizing the GPU by running the render process through OpenGL)
Last edited by TheUnkn0wn ; 05-25-2011 at 06:49 PM.
05-25-2011, 08:27 PM #6
Ritztro
I am a Game Developer
Originally posted by TheUnkn0wn View Post
3DS Max is a modelling and rendering tool.
OpenGL is what uses the models created in 3DS Max and renders them in real time to allow you to interact.

Here's a question, what renders the frames you see when you play a game. Its obviously not 3DS Max. Its the 3D engine that the game uses whether that's DirectX or OpenGL.

Stuff you don't need to know :

Also, most graphics cards are optimized for OpenGL and DirectX where 3DS Max (Mentalray Render engine [Standard]) renders frames using the CPU (other third-party render engines for 3DS Max e.g: VRay can render utilizing the GPU by running the render process through OpenGL)

Thanks, you summed it up better than me.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo