07-08-2012, 12:56 AM #1
USSR
Great Communist Nation
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Due to the massive shortage of IT/web design professionals in my country (Northern Ireland) I have decided to take up web design as a part time/hobby, in the hopes of getting a few side jobs in the future. I really have no idea where to start. Does anybody have guides or some tips on where to start? Most of the requirements for jobs list PHP, MySQL and java as needed. Which one should I start first, and are there any books on them?

USSR
07-08-2012, 12:16 PM #2
Sloth
Banned
Originally posted by USSR View Post
Due to the massive shortage of IT/web design professionals in my country (Northern Ireland) I have decided to take up web design as a part time/hobby, in the hopes of getting a few side jobs in the future. I really have no idea where to start. Does anybody have guides or some tips on where to start? Most of the requirements for jobs list PHP, MySQL and java as needed. Which one should I start first, and are there any books on them?

USSR

Java and PHP are scripting languages Mysql is a database

I would probably use PHP for web design as most people want that.

The following user groaned Sloth for this awful post:

Pichu
07-08-2012, 02:42 PM #3
Well each has a important purpose in the web design world. With Java Script you can create an interactive and dynamic web experience.
07-08-2012, 07:22 PM #4
ProgrammerUK
Save Point
If you are a beginner then I would start with HTML 5 and then move onto PHP and other languages. You can find a lot of web design tutorials on YouTube from a guy called thenewboston. He has the best tutorials on YouTube IMO Smile
07-12-2012, 05:20 AM #5
Due to the massive shortage of IT/web design professionals in my country (Northern Ireland) I have decided to take up web design as a part time/hobby, in the hopes of getting a few side jobs in the future. I really have no idea where to start. Does anybody have guides or some tips on where to start? Most of the requirements for jobs list PHP, MySQL and java as needed. Which one should I start first, and are there any books on them?

USSR
you need to understand html firstly before hand if you do not understand css/javascript/html you will not get a basic understanding of how the page is created . php and mysql are more server side php is in web docs ,mysql is server tables and wont make sense until u do php as thats calling to the tables where the data is stored

also research basic encryption methods asymmetrical and symmetrical and figure out how to use each for the specific task at hand
07-13-2012, 04:49 AM #6
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Cookiemonstaz View Post
Java and PHP are scripting languages Mysql is a database

I would probably use PHP for web design as most people want that.

Javascript not Java, Java is a object oriented programming language developed by Oracle.

Java and Javascript are two completely different things.

You will need to know HTML/CSS/Javascript (AKA HTML5) as well as PHP.

Since in PHP you can insert HTML5 context into it. Everything with PHP is server side, for interaction, javascript is still required as well as basic HTML/CSS written in with the PHP for website design.

Before you state something, know it.
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM #7
Sloth
Banned
Originally posted by Pichu View Post
Javascript not Java, Java is a object oriented programming language developed by Oracle.

Java and Javascript are two completely different things.

You will need to know HTML/CSS/Javascript (AKA HTML5) as well as PHP.

Since in PHP you can insert HTML5 context into it. Everything with PHP is server side, for interaction, javascript is still required as well as basic HTML/CSS written in with the PHP for website design.

Before you state something, know it.

:0 sorry It was 4am when I wrote that at 4 am
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM #8
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring

USSR

To clarify what other people have already said:

You'll first and foremost want to learn HTML, probably HTML5, which is the latest version of HTML. You'll also want to learn CSS (probably CSS3, the latest version). Finally, you should learn JavaScript. JavaScript would be the first programming language out of HTML and CSS. It's also not hard, and is an excellent language for new programmers. All these languages (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) are client-side. They are sent from the web server on which the website is running to the client/user's computer. Their computer's browser then executes the code, and renders the output to the screen. These are all the languages you'll need to know to build visually interesting and interactive websites. Note that while there are alternatives to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, they are the most common and popular options.

To develop more advanced and dynamic websites, you'll want to learn a server-side language. Websites created with a server-side language will result in websites that are at least partially run on the server. In such a system, your website will first run as a program on your server, prior to being sent to the client. This allows you to do more interesting processing, including maintaining data, which will allow you to do things like create websites with user accounts. Arguably the most popular server-side language is PHP. Often times, server-side languages are accompanied by databases. Databases allows your server-side program/website to store data for long amounts of time. One such database is MySQL.

Java is another server-side language.

The following user thanked Epic? for this useful post:

USSR

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo