02-07-2013, 06:30 PM #1
Ben
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey guys, I got my Nexus 4 about a month ago and have been experimenting with rooting and modding ever since. So I've decided to write this thread to help NGU members out a bit and get a background about rooting and modding Android Devices. This thread is going to have multipages just to keep it clean and so people can access sections more easily.

Why should I root

There are some pros and cons to rooting your device:

PROS

First of all, "rooting" allows you to access system files and alter them in any way you like and as a result, giving you more control over your phone. Once rooted you can add custom themes, change your recovery image, alter your bootloader, alter the "toolboxes" so the Linux system operates more efficiently, and add Linux Binaries. You can also add special apps that wouldn't run on normal devices, such as Super User which allows certain apps to access root privileges. Once super user has been installed, you can install more apps that will allow you to control the CPU frequency and limit the running of certain memory draining apps to increase battery life and responsiveness, and install either wired tethering or WiFi tethering.

Thanks to rooting your device, you can also back up your data onto an SD card. This allows you to restore your data if something goes wrong. Another great advantage is you can install custom made ROMs, kernels, and other files to enhance the way your phone works, looks, and feels.

CONS

There are unfortunately some cons when rooting. One major disadvantage is that if you root your phone you might void your warranty, both from your carrier and manufacturer. Thankfully most things are recoverable and fixable as long as you follow all directions listed by the developers of the ROM or root method.

There is also the chance of bricking your device if you don't check if the ROM or root is not compatible with your phone. So always check if you the ROM you are installing is compatible with your device or else you can brick your device! ALSO NEVER REMOVE YOUR BATTERY WHEN FLASHING A ROM, IT WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE

A big con is you cannot accept OTA (Over the Air) updates pushed to your phone from your cell carrier. If you accept the OTA update, you will lose root. In order to maintain root, you need to wait until the rooted OTA is available then flash it. However, it is possible to maintain root while flashing an OTA. It all depends on your device and cell provider.

How to root you Android Device!

So maybe you've read the page before and thought, I'm going to do it, or maybe you skipped it altogether. Let me remind you, if your device is locked to a certain carrier, rooting might be different for each different carrier model, a good example is a Galaxy SIII. Once again I'll like to point out that root does indeed void your warranty

Here's a table I made on Google Docs that you can check out, it only has a few devices for now but I'll be adding more in the future:

You must login or register to view this content.

You can request a root guide for your device on this thread, I'll try and find one for your device Smile

I've rooted, now what?

There are some apps that are "must-needs" once you've rooted your device:

You must login or register to view this content.- Delete apps (including bloatware, make sure you backup first), move apps, backup apps, freeze apps. Upgrading to Pro is worth it.You must login or register to view this content.- To easily flash ROMs
You must login or register to view this content.- Explores the root of your phone
You must login or register to view this content.- Underclock/overclocks your phone according to profiles that you can set.

More coming soon!
Last edited by Ben ; 02-07-2013 at 06:34 PM.

The following 2 users say thank you to Ben for this useful post:

Toke, zUnboundPatcher
02-07-2013, 06:34 PM #2
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Ben View Post
Hey guys, I got my Nexus 4 about a month ago and have been experimenting with rooting and modding ever since. So I've decided to write this thread to help NGU members out a bit and get a background about rooting and modding Android Devices. This thread is going to have multipages just to keep it clean and so people can access sections more easily.

Why should I root

There are some pros and cons to rooting your device:

PROS

First of all, "rooting" allows you to access system files and alter them in any way you like and as a result, giving you more control over your phone. Once rooted you can add custom themes, change your recovery image, alter your bootloader, alter the "toolboxes" so the Linux system operates more efficiently, and add Linux Binaries. You can also add special apps that wouldn't run on normal devices, such as Super User which allows certain apps to access root privileges. Once super user has been installed, you can install more apps that will allow you to control the CPU frequency and limit the running of certain memory draining apps to increase battery life and responsiveness, and install either wired tethering or WiFi tethering.

Thanks to rooting your device, you can also back up your data onto an SD card. This allows you to restore your data if something goes wrong. Another great advantage is you can install custom made ROMs, kernels, and other files to enhance the way your phone works, looks, and feels.

CONS

There are unfortunately some cons when rooting. One major disadvantage is that if you root your phone you might void your warranty, both from your carrier and manufacturer. Thankfully most things are recoverable and fixable as long as you follow all directions listed by the developers of the ROM or root method.

There is also the chance of bricking your device if you don't check if the ROM or root is not compatible with your phone. So always check if you the ROM you are installing is compatible with your device or else you can brick your device! ALSO NEVER REMOVE YOUR BATTERY WHEN FLASHING A ROM, IT WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE

A big con is you cannot accept OTA (Over the Air) updates pushed to your phone from your cell carrier. If you accept the OTA update, you will lose root. In order to maintain root, you need to wait until the rooted OTA is available then flash it. However, it is possible to maintain root while flashing an OTA. It all depends on your device and cell provider.

How to root you Android Device!

So maybe you've read the page before and thought, I'm going to do it, or maybe you skipped it altogether. Let me remind you, if your device is locked to a certain carrier, rooting might be different for each different carrier model, a good example is a Galaxy SIII. Once again I'll like to point out that root does indeed void your warranty

Here's a table I made on Google Docs that you can check out, it only has a few devices for now but I'll be adding more in the future:

You must login or register to view this content.

You can request a root guide for your device on this thread, I'll try and find one for your device Smile

I've rooted, now what?

There are some apps that are "must-needs" once you've rooted your device:

You must login or register to view this content.- Delete apps (including bloatware, make sure you backup first), move apps, backup apps, freeze apps. Upgrading to Pro is worth it.You must login or register to view this content.- To easily flash ROMs
You must login or register to view this content.- Explores the root of your phone
You must login or register to view this content.- Underclock/overclocks your phone according to profiles that you can set.

More coming soon!

nice thread
02-07-2013, 06:36 PM #3
Ben
Former Staff
Originally posted by Laim
I've seen this before.
/close
:carling:

You better be joking stare
02-08-2013, 09:21 PM #4
I was a bit confused as to what rooting actually allowed you to do on the device. Thanks for the guide.
02-09-2013, 04:56 PM #5
Toke
PC Master Race
it lets your run any program you want weither its a microsoft office type thing my razr has one preinstalled or whatever if it fits you go for i personally don't need it so i don't root my phones unless i have this ancient thing and want to get to 4.0

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo