07-14-2013, 07:31 AM #1
RADDY1993
< ^ > < ^ >
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Tutorial and tool by aicjofs

I was bored so i thought i would play with my daughters NABI2, after looking around the net i found this great tool which roots your NABI2 and installs google play and much more. This is not my tutorial or tool so all credit goes to the creators which are at the top of this thread. So if your like me and want to spice up your NABI2 then check out the info below, once you open the tool it gives you all the directions so dont worry i did it and all is good .

NABI LAB v2

You must login or register to view this content.

This is a tool for performing various automated tasks on the Nabi 2. It's written as a windows command line batch file, and v1 has been tested . Hopefully this means all the bugs are worked out, most issues have been typos on my part. It's an attempt to include all recent developments in Nabi 2 rooting, Gapps install, recovery methods, and modding and provide and all in one experience. Alot of this is my own original work, and other parts are creations of others intact or modded for Nabi use. Using the latest known working methods, it hopefully prevents users from having to install, break things, uninstall, recover, try new method, ask forum questions, try another method, and all the while for those with kids having them ask why you broke their toy.

Overview

-Install ADB/Fastboot digitally self-signed drivers.
-Root the Nabi 2
-Install Gapps(Play Store, etc)
-Fix Android is upgrading message
-Make a stock backup of unrooted device
-Install a stock 1.9.37 in the event of loss of backup.
-Install stock, or TWRP recoveries
-Tablet Information
-Lockscreen modding tool
-NabiLab patching system to install updates to this program
-Fix TWRP touchscreen issues
-While not a built in function using the tools to fix broken Wifi

-Install ADB/Fastboot digitally self-signed drivers.
-Root the Nabi 2
-Install Gapps(Play Store, etc)
-Fix Android is upgrading message
-Make a stock backup of unrooted device
-Install a stock 1.9.37 in the event of loss of backup.
-Install stock, or TWRP recoveries
-Tablet Information
-Lockscreen modding tool
-NabiLab patching system to install updates to this program
-Fix TWRP touchscreen issues
-While not a built in function using the tools to fix broken Wifi

Download

Read the installation section below to determine which version you want.

File names:
NabiLabFull.zip 1.1GB

NabiLabLite.zip 97MB

NabiLabv2Update.zip 10.1MB(upgrade patch for v1 users)

Installation

There are 2 versions of Nabi Lab: Full and Lite. The full edition is 1.1GB and includes a stock 1.9.37 backup of the system, data, and boot partition. It's usefulness is really only of interest to those that need to restore to a stock backup. It should be a rather limited group of people as you should have a backup of your system already that you could use in lieu of this. However in the event you have lost your backup, or have mangled the system to the point you aren't sure what to do, the option to restore to stock 1.9.37 is in the full edition. The likely download of choice is the Lite edition at a more manageable download size of 97MB. It has all the tools of NabiLab just without the ability to restore a stock backup(which of course you have one of your own). The upgrade patch zip is for v1 users.

NEW INSTALLS

1) Download Nabi Lab
NabiLabFull.zip 1.1GB
NabiLabLite.zip 97MB

2) Extract the zip files to a location of your choosing. Run the NabiLab.bat file.

PATCH INSTALLS(For version 1 users)

1) Download NabiLabv2Update.zip 10.1MB

2) Extract the zip IN to the directory NabiLab is in not FROM the directory. What ever your unzip program it should be extracting to X:\somefolder\somefolder\yourNabiFolder\ If you do it right there will be a file RunOncePatch.bat in the same folder as NabiLab.bat, and a NabiPatch.zip in a new folder called patch in your NabiLab folder.

3) Run RunOncePatch.bat

note: This is only necessary this time, any future patches will be applied by downloading a NabiPatch.zip, and installing inside the NabiLab program.

Prerequisites

1) ADB enabled in Android. Enter Mommy/Daddy mode. Open settings->developer options->put a check mark in USB debugging.

2) Unsure you are on version 1.9.37. Enter Mommy/Daddy mode. Open settings->About Tablet->Product Version. If it's at something less then 1.9.37 go up to the "Update" selector and check update and install. You may have to do this more then once.

Notes: At this point it is believed that the Madagascar Nabi 2, and UK version have product versions of 1.9.34, and 1.9.35/6 respectively. You can attempt to use NabiLab at those versions but I cannot guarantee results. Most things should work however.

Usage

Obviously using this product on your Nabi 2 voids the warranty and I take no responsibility for the damage you cause.

MENU 1 - Installing drivers

The provided drivers are for Windows XP,Vista, 7 and 8 32bit and 64bit. They are modded version of the drivers by 1wayjonny found in this thread. The mod to those drivers are adding the Nabi, and the HP Touchpad Tenderloin(only because I have one). The are digitally self signed by "NabiLab".

Menu Option 1 - Auto Install

Check in the top left corner under Detected OS to see if it matches your configuration. The most important part is if it says "x86"(32bit) or "AMD64"(64bit) this is what the auto installer is going to install. If you don't know right click "my computer" and look under system type. If everything looks right proceed. An installer will launch and guide you through install.

Menu Option 2 - Manual Install

If you want to manually install, an explorer window will launch allowing you to pick the NabiDriver32.exe or NabiDriver64.exe. In case it needs stating the NabiDriver32 is for 32bit OS, and NabiDriver64 is for 64bit.

Notes: The driver can be uninstalled by going into control panel and add/remove programs, select Nabi Driver and click uninstall. The digital certificate for Nabi lab is installed in Trusted Root Certification Authorities. Probably the easiest way to view is internet explorer. Go to tools->internet options->content->certificates. It can be removed from here should you feel it's a security risk. I don't think it installs properly on XP, so if you want to add it go to your program files folder->NabiLab->driver and find the NabiLab.cer, right click and select install. When you come to option of where to install manually select Trusted Root Certification Authorities.

MENU 2 - Root, Gapps, Recovery

Menu Option 1 - Install Root, Recovery and Gapps

This option is best used if you have a brand new Nabi. At this point you should have met the prerequisites of enabling ADB in Android and upgrading to 1.9.37. Follow directions, most sticking points are pressing the volume + and then pressing the volume - button twice and making sure recovery kernel is the one highlighted. After its complete you should have a rooted Nabi, with Gapps and a backup of your unmodified Nabi in the folder TWRP/BACKUPS/YOURSERIAL/stockunrooted on your device. Not a bad idea to copy this off the Nabi to your computer if you need to free space or have it in a second location.

Menu Option 2 - Install Root and Recovery

Same as above but doesn't install Gapps. Some people have trouble with option 1 taking the Gapps install, I personally have never experienced it but the option is this one, or I guess if you are an elite hacker that just wants root.

Menu Option 3 - Install Gapps

Same Gapps installed in the Option 1. Useful for re-installing Gapps, and/or getting rid of the Android is Upgrading message. It is the immensely popular t499user Gapps with the 2 stray .odex removed. No sense in reinventing the wheel. This makes NO backup of you Nabi. You will have to already have installed TWRP.

Menu Option 4 - Install Root

Installs root. Nothing fancy here, and likely unneeded but here for completeness if you find yourself in a strange situation. One that comes to mind is that you have a stock backup which you restored and don't want to do another backup so you would just run this and the gapps install. It makes NO backup. You will have to already have installed TWRP.

Note: The layout of this is based on the original work by jmztaylor, modified for what we currently know about the Nabi and tweaked accordingly.

MENU 3 - Return Nabi to Stock Condition

The menu options will only be available if you have downloaded Nabi Lab full. If you have a stock unrooted backup you should try that first.

Menu Option 1 - Return Nabi to Stock 1.9.37. Android can boot.

This is useful if you just want to return your Nabi to stock for regular use, sale, or warranty(morals aside). This is the mode to use if you can boot Android. This operation will take some time to run, so let it. Upon completion TWRP is still installed, to entirely restore to stock you will need to install the stock recovery(see Menu 4). You have the option to put on external or internal storage. Although I don't think I compiled TWRP to use "in place" install, which would mean it still copies to internal. I'm not sure on this one, so internal is probably the best bet, but I have performed it on external and it works fine. You will need space on internal storage to do it.

Menu Option 2 - Return Nabi to Stock 1.9.37. Android not booting.

This is useful if you are in a situation that has left Android unbootable and you have no backup. Otherwise it's the same as Option 1. You will boot to TWRP and then perform the restore. Again TWRP will still be installed afterward, no be completely at stock you will have to remove it by Main Menu 4. I have it this way in the event you plan to immediately reroot it.

Notes: If you want to view this menu in the lite version, you need to open the file havefiles.txt, it is located in the stockimage folder. Change the line backup=false, to backup=true. You can then view the menu. You can then copy files you wanted to the stockimage folder and restore. Since the restore portion is manual I'm not sure why you would ever use it this way but if you want to play around that's how to enable it.

MENU 4 - Install Recoveries

Menu Option 1 - Install TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi Version 1.9.37

Installs TWRP 2.3.3.0. This is the version that everyone should be trying to use first before trying other versions. This is the version that has symlinked paritions since it is thought currently their might be different partition structures for various Nabi's. Newer Nabi kernel and fixes touchscreen issues for some people that were using 2.2.2.1.

Menu Option 2 - Install TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi Versions prior to 1.9.37

Use this option if Option 1 didn't work for you. Older Nabi kernel, otherwise same as Option 1.

Menu Option 3 - Install TWRP 2.2.2.1

This is the original TWRP from the first Nabi rooting thread. Use this if the other 2 don't suit you, or you just trust my compile skills, which may be prudent...

Menu Option 4 - Install Stock Recovery

Installs stock recovery. This is useful for taking an OTA, or completely returning Nabi to stock.

Menu Option 5 - About Recovery Installer

A leftover from my initial recovery installer, I was too lazy to remove it.

MENU 5 - Tablet Information

Nabi Information, serial, version, build date, device mode, internal/external size, detected backups.

Note: This only detects if a backup folder is present, not if there are backups actually inside the folder. The only way this would be the case is if you manually deleted them or just made a empty folder in there, so be aware. Also if you have made a ramdisk modifying init.rc, used creative symlinking to swap internal and external SD, or used a prebuilt app to swap this screen may be incorrect.

MENU 6 - Lockscreen Mod Tool

Don't use this if you have updated to v2.0.5, I haven't tested but the framework-res.apk was updated in the 2.0.5 update and if you are using the old one you could throw yourself in to a bootloop

Menu Option 1 - Install custom lockscreen

Use this to install a custom lockscreen. You will need a picture that is in .png format and is 1440 x 903. A explorer window will open up showing you the location to put the picture. The file MUST be name lockscreen.png, there is one there that is black, you can overwrite it be there MUST ALWAYS be a lockscreen.png file in that folder if you use the tool. Bad things could possibly happen if it doesn't. You have the option to manually install the lockscreen, or automatically install it after the zip is built. In either case it copies whatever you named the zip(you are prompted for a name) to the internal SD, along with a file called lockorig.zip. The lockorig.zip is there if you mess up and Android won't boot you can manually install the lockorig.zip in TWRP to put it back to stock.

Menu Option 2 - Install stock lockscreen

Use this to return to stock. Remember if you used Option 1 there will already be the stock lockorig.zip on your internal storage.

MENU 7 - Patch NabiLab

Menu Option 1 - Install Patch

For any updates to Nabi Lab this is where you can automatically load them. Basically you will download NabiPatch.zip and place the entire zip in the patch folder. No unzipping just the single file. Then run this option.

Note: Since this option wasn't in NabiLab v1, we have to do some trickery when coming from version 1 to install, so the procedure is different, all subsequent patches will be the above method however. Coming from version 1 you will need to download NabiLabv2update.zip and extract it into the NabiLab directory such that RunOncePatch.bat is in same directory as NabiLab.bat, and the other file NabiPatch.zip is in the folder "patch", then run the RunOncePatch.bat If you extract into your NabiLab directory it won't be a problem, the hint you didn't do it right will be if the RunOncePatch.bat isn't right there with NabiLab.bat

Credits

jzmtaylor - Original Nabi root. Nabi device code from which to build newer TWRP
t499user - Gapps fix
Dees_Troy - TWRP build tutorial
Eric Karz - Lockscreen Modding, NabiLab scripting
1wayjonny - Universal Driver base code
TeamWin - They are the guys that make TWRP possible
08-16-2013, 05:14 PM #2
Default Avatar
rmholly
Hi,

Thank you for this manual on nabilabs. You seem to know quite a lot about it and I am afraid I don't know anything. :(

I bought two nabis and followed a video to install gapps without rooting. I was successful. I did get the "android is updating" message at bootup. I also wasn't able to install the OS updates but everything else worked fine. I decided I wanted to "unroot" - although according to the video, I didn't actually root it. After hours and hours of research and trying different things, I downloaded the full version of nabilabs and have been trying to get it back to the original system. Let me add that I do not have an original backup (that I am aware of). I have already moved the few things off the nabis (pictures, etc.) that I care about so I really just want it to be back to factory completely.

I get through most stages but then it just stays at the black screen with the nabi logo. I can't tell if something is installing because you reference that it "takes ahile". I am afraid I have really messed it up and just need some guidance. I can certainly follow instructions but I am not familiar with terminology and I haven't found sufficient instructions for someone like me (who has no clue!).

If you think you can help, I would soooo appreciate it! I have never asked for advice online so I am not even sure if I am supposed to ask you!

Many thanks in advance - Renee
08-17-2013, 05:45 AM #3
RADDY1993
< ^ > < ^ >
Im by no means a expert on this, you could try a factory reset heres a video

if that does not work go here You must login or register to view this content. someone will be able to help you.
08-19-2013, 03:35 PM #4
Default Avatar
rmholly
Thank you for responding. I can't reset it so I will keep looking Smile

Thanks again.
12-25-2013, 06:15 PM #5
my nabi 2 needs updates, but whenever i go to download and install them it goes to twrp and it wont let me update my nabi....help

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo