02-29-2016, 11:51 PM #1
Geo
Don't Believe The Title
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); OK so before I write a little more, here is the build I plan on getting in July (Subject to new hardware releases) You must login or register to view this content. there is stuff missing but thats stuff I may already own such as main storage etc. so ignore that.

Main topic here though is GPUs... The build there has a R9 390X which is just about in my price range for the whole build. Obviously a very beefy card packing 8GB GDDR5 to utilize.

People I show this build to though suggest nvidia, and I love nvidia, had a 760 for 3 or so years now but its getting on in terms of current gen graphics so its time to future proof. But getting an nvidia card for a similar price would mean in turn a heavy downgrade... And I'm here thinking, why get less for the brand? I understand nvidia cards can do things better or "more efficiently" But I would like to hear some geniune thoughts onto what you would do staying in the same price range and your own experiences. I need to start some software research differences myself such as drivers and optimization but would love to here from other people and/or to be educated in the cards differences.
03-01-2016, 12:23 AM #2
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by Geo View Post
OK so before I write a little more, here is the build I plan on getting in July (Subject to new hardware releases) You must login or register to view this content. there is stuff missing but thats stuff I may already own such as main storage etc. so ignore that.

Main topic here though is GPUs... The build there has a R9 390X which is just about in my price range for the whole build. Obviously a very beefy card packing 8GB GDDR5 to utilize.

People I show this build to though suggest nvidia, and I love nvidia, had a 760 for 3 or so years now but its getting on in terms of current gen graphics so its time to future proof. But getting an nvidia card for a similar price would mean in turn a heavy downgrade... And I'm here thinking, why get less for the brand? I understand nvidia cards can do things better or "more efficiently" But I would like to hear some geniune thoughts onto what you would do staying in the same price range and your own experiences. I need to start some software research differences myself such as drivers and optimization but would love to here from other people and/or to be educated in the cards differences.

Anyone who claims to want to future proof should just have stopped posting there. There is no such thing. Plain and simple. AMD has a horrible history of putting out what on paper seem like really good cards but have the worst drivers possible available for them. Not to mention it's a running gag that if you own one you won't need to worry about having to heat your room.

At the end of the day amd will be amd. They will take something add more numbers to it and make it seem better. Look at their cpu's. More vram is nice but are you really going to be using that much? Probably not. Is it nice to have? Sure.

Originally posted by another user
I understand nvidia cards can do things better or "more efficiently"

Really you just answered your own question.
03-01-2016, 12:45 AM #3
Geo
Don't Believe The Title
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
Anyone who claims to want to future proof should just have stopped posting there. There is no such thing. Plain and simple. AMD has a horrible history of putting out what on paper seem like really good cards but have the worst drivers possible available for them. Not to mention it's a running gag that if you own one you won't need to worry about having to heat your room.

At the end of the day amd will be amd. They will take something add more numbers to it and make it seem better. Look at their cpu's. More vram is nice but are you really going to be using that much? Probably not. Is it nice to have? Sure.

Really you just answered your own question.

Just spent the last couple hours doing research as said in thread and you're right in terms of AMD. Happy with the choice to swap it out for a 980 Superclocked and its only come to £50 more which is not as bad a blow as some other 980 variants. And when I get the parts later this year I may have gained that back in price drops anyway.
03-01-2016, 08:01 PM #4
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
AMD isn't shit. I'd pick a R9 390 over a GTX 970 any day. I have a GTX 980 TI though Smile
03-02-2016, 12:28 AM #5
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Geo View Post
Just spent the last couple hours doing research as said in thread and you're right in terms of AMD. Happy with the choice to swap it out for a 980 Superclocked and its only come to £50 more which is not as bad a blow as some other 980 variants. And when I get the parts later this year I may have gained that back in price drops anyway.

amd cards arent bad they are made to run hot which means in the summer ur gunna sweat ur balls off in the winter ur nice and warm. the gtx cards are generally better at the higher end they run cooler and are usually smaller/ quieter
Last edited by Toke ; 03-02-2016 at 04:10 PM.
03-07-2016, 01:26 AM #6
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by Rawr View Post
AMD isn't shit. I'd pick a R9 390 over a GTX 970 any day. I have a GTX 980 TI though Smile

Don't fool yourself.
03-08-2016, 12:26 AM #7
Rath
Today Will Be Different
I've always used Nvidia. Mainly because I've always had nothing but positive experiences with Nvidia. Not once have I had driver issues. However, on a purpose built computer -- that I haven't used in over two years -- I used AMD and had to deal with a plethora of driver issues.
03-09-2016, 06:11 AM #8
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
Don't fool yourself.

R9 390 and GTX 970 and pretty much neck-in-neck in performance at 1080p. R9 390 has better performance at higher resolutions due to the extra VRAM. On the GTX 970, once you go over 3.5GB VRAM, the last 0.5GB runs slower and you will experience stutters in games. I once played Skyrim with heavy mods on my GTX 970 and I experienced stutters like a bitch.

R9 390X vs GTX 980. The GTX 980 will beat the R9 390X in most games, but there are some games that the R9 390X win in. In the games the the GTX 980 win, you'll get around 5-10 extra FPS. Woohoo, 5-10 extra FPS! But look at the price of a GTX 980 versus a R9 390X.

In lower-end budget PCs, you almost always see AMD cards being recommended.

In recent DX12 tests, AMD GPUs surpass NVIDIA GPUs.

In areas where it gets cold, AMD GPUs can also be used as heaters.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo