Post: XBOX Game Developers Begin to Feel Limited With 9GB DVD Storage Cap
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM #1
Default Avatar
_____
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Recently, an unnamed developer has stepped forward and declared that the 9GB storage capacity limit on the dual layer DVD is beginning to restrict game developers in their options while creating a game; they must decide which corners to cut in order to meet the size constraint, or sell a game over two discs, as in the case of Mass Effect 2. With the 50GB Blu-ray discs already a standard for the PS3, it is no wonder that dev's are beginning to grow weary this issue. So will Microsoft make a radical change in the format of its game discs? Almost definitely not. But with games becoming exponentially more technical and complex as the time goes by, this may give the PS3 an upper edge.

When the 360 was originally released, no one ever thought a game would take over 9GB of space; now those days are long past. But we must wonder, with 3D already a reality and a possibility of a new resolution standard sometime in the near future, is it only a matter of time until 50GB Blu-ray discs aren't enough?

Source: You must login or register to view this content.
02-19-2010, 04:50 PM #2
FuzzaMuzza
NGU Master
Yeah, 9 GB is quite the limit as MW2 is 11 GB on PC so they must compress it quite a bit
02-20-2010, 03:05 PM #3
Shepleklet
u mad cuz ur ***git
I am in love with my Xbox 360, it is an incredible console. However, that is why it hurts so much more for me to admit that they really are failing at the moment. :(
It is an incredible console but for Microsoft to survive in the gaming industry they really are going to have to follow Sony's example and move with the times. :\
02-20-2010, 03:25 PM #4
Aren't Sony working on a terabyte disc?
Then we shall have no trouble fitting games onto a disc Smile

But I do think that the Xbox has an online advantage, but Sony are coming up behind them and if Microsoft don't start to take steps again then the PS3 will easily pass them out!
Just my thoughts
02-20-2010, 08:19 PM #5
I bet it's Rockstar who feels limited, because they had to compress GTA IV's graphics and audio so it could fit on the 360's Disc. They also had to compress it on PS3 because they didn't want to give PS3 users an advantage.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo