02-21-2010, 09:51 PM #1
Paul
Edwards
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Yesterday in the US Patent office this surfaced which has been filed by Sony.

It is a small handheld device which has two trigger buttons either side and an LCD screen which could have the capability to emulate other controllers with the ability to "store" up to three controllers at once.

So rather than picking up your Xbox 360 controller to swap from your PS3, at the press of a button you have the controller in front of you and ready to go.

Also, the controller is backwards-compatible, so not only can you store your PS3 controllers on, but want to flip back to your Sega Megadrive or N64? You've got it, all on your universal controller.

Would you use such a device or would you rather use individual controllers for each console? Answer in the poll!

Source: You must login or register to view this content..
Last edited by Paul ; 02-21-2010 at 09:57 PM.

The following 11 users say thank you to Paul for this useful post:

Antones, Caspa, chris2k7sears, Cpt.S, GenuinelyJames, Gobz, hydey5, psychobe@n, JimErased
02-21-2010, 09:59 PM #2
lmao a universal controller would be stupid. nice first piece of news paul Happy
02-21-2010, 10:13 PM #3
I lose controllers a lot, it could be good and bad XD
02-21-2010, 10:13 PM #4
GenuinelyJames
Too Sexy For A User-Title
Congrats! Nice first news report!!!
02-21-2010, 10:14 PM #5
The concept of a universal controller is quite nice, but it's never going to be successfully implemented because of the competition between all of the three major gaming companies. Sony could happily make that, but Microsoft would whip out their e-peens and slap them round the face, and show them the UNIVERSAL CONTROLOLER360 which has a knob attached to the back for additional usability.

Or not, but you get the idea. The companies will never settle on one joint design.

Also, I don't actually like the design that much. It's interesting, but not for me. I like real things to press on, virtual buttons do nothing for me.
02-21-2010, 10:16 PM #6
Mighty Jebuz
Nerds √16 Ever!
id have to try is seen as the controllers are designed for a certain feel whilst playing the console, could ruin that, plus im assuming sony would have to have permission from xbox and nintendo to use the technology to connect it to their consoles, which could make it expensive for sony and not worthwile.
02-21-2010, 11:22 PM #7
TheFrozenArrow
Stealth Mode [ON] OFF
I'm not sure... I think it would be best to just stay with the regular controllers, but if it's cool enough then I might buy
02-22-2010, 01:56 PM #8
Caspa
Retired Mod
Gratz on your first report Paul Smile
02-23-2010, 03:54 AM #9
StickStickly
That makes me moist.
Touch screen button is the worst idea ever
02-23-2010, 03:56 AM #10
AntonioCro89
Level 1 Trustworthy-
i wonder how much this thing would cost lol