Post: Infinity Ward not been payed ANYTHING for Modern Warfare 2
03-02-2010, 07:48 PM #1
Shepleklet
u mad cuz ur ***git
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); For those of you who don't know, Activision has fired the two most senior directors of Infinity Ward (Jason West and Vince Zampella), an has locked all other employees out of their offices. This is probably a bullying move to try and get IW to stay with Activision as thier contract ends in March. This is the reason why Infinity Ward are not producing Modern Warfare 3.
You can find all the details on that here:
You must login or register to view this content.

But now let's read this Winky Winky

You must login or register to view this content.

Originally posted by another user
As anyone who follows my Twitter is aware, I spent the better part of Monday night (Tuesday morning on the East Coast) calling everyone I knew who was associated with Activision. Most of them didn’t tell me much of anything. To those people, I apologize for continuously bugging you at all hours of the night. However a few people were willing to give me some information on what was going on at Infinity Ward so long as they were anonymous.

First, the backstory: For those of you who aren’t yet aware, Activision locked down the Infinity Ward offices after a meeting with (former) Infinity Ward bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella. When the story first broke nobody had any Earthly clue why Activision would shitcan the studio co-founders and lock the Infinity Ward offices down like they were trying to quarantine a zombie outbreak, but after several hours of arm twisting I’ve been able to get a few nuggets of information. Note that this is what I have been told by those close to the situation and in no way is meant to be presented as 100% cold hard fact.

1.) Infinity Ward has yet to be paid a single dime in royalties for Modern Warfare 2, which has earned Activision over one billion dollars in revenue. (NOTE: To clarify, everyone who spoke with me mentioned this. Whether or not IW and Activision had an agreement in place for royalty payments is unknown at this time. It’s just curious that everyone brought this up.)

2.) It’s (fairly) common knowledge that Infinity Ward is not owned by Activision, but is under contract with the publisher. (ESad Awesome That was a misunderstanding, on my end, of a statement made to me. I apologize for any confusion.) This Their current contractual obligation expires in October, which could explain why Activision has (allegedly) been looking to dump Modern Warfare 3 off to another developer. The probem with this is that Infinity Ward still technically owns the rights to the Call of Duty franchise (at least partially). Some people close to the situation see Activision’s current actions as a power play to try and bully Infinity Ward into either staying with Activision in one capacity or another (buyout or contract extension) or to at least acquire the Call of Duty name.

(ED NOTE: If the above paragraph makes zero sense, I apologize. It was 4am EDT, I was writing short-hand and half of what was being told went way over my head. The short of it: There’s a contract in place regarding Infinity Ward’s principals that expires in October. Basically IW, while technically owned by Activision, is autonomous in the same way Blizzard is. That’s what the “contract” talk is about. Again, sorry for any confusion.)

3.) Theoretically speaking, after Infinity Ward’s contract expires in October the company is free to rehire both West and Zampella.

But the most interesting fact…

4.) SEC paperwork filed by Activision claims that there were “breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward.” According to a source inside Activision, it is believed that Infinity Ward may have been in discussion with a “rival publisher” about signing a similar publishing agreement that IW currently has with Activision.

When pushed for more specific details, all they would assure me is that it was NOT believed to be Electronic Arts. Whether or not there is any merit to this belief is anyone’s guess.

More information is expected to come out throughout the day as Activision has a lot of explaining to do. We will continue to keep you updated on this increasingly bizarre story, whether news breaks here or elsewhere. Also keep tabs on G4’s Patrick Klepek, who has done a phenomenal job staying on top of the situation.

This is, in my opinion, the most ridiculous thing I have heard in the gaming industry in a long time. Modern Warfare 2 is the most succesful game of all time and Activision are whoring all the money to it. Losing IW to a competing games company would be a major catastrophe for Activision. Who else could be there if EA isn’t… Warner Bros/Monolith or THQI perhaps? Which company actually owns the IP to the Modern Warfare 2 engine?
This is the specific type of action that happens when men who are ALL about profit smell the money an industry makes and starts to lose control and take over. The media and health insurance quality has greatly deteriorated recently due to the fact that the big-wigs at the very top of teh company ladder just don'r care about the end product any more, as long as it sells.
Games used to be created by people who love them, and make a large profit while doing so, but today, although games are still great, the forthcoming disaster will be that the companies that only wqant profit, and don’t even care in the slightest about games themselves. This can only lead the whole gaming industry down a path to ruin.
Infinity Ward has always shown their displeasure with the Infinity Ward-Activision-Treyarch agreement. IW has created the base of the whole CoD franchise in next gen consoles, and has made the IP what it is today. Basically, Activision brought Treyarch on to join the CoD creating group just so they can dry up the franchise as much as they can. Most A grade games today take at least 2 years to create, therefore Infinity Ward and Treyarch switch each year so that Activision can sow the seeds of success every year.
It’s a business. Simple, there is nothing else to it. And Infinity Ward wants to be paid for creating their gem of a creation.

Thanks for reading, please comment! Smile

Shepleklet.
Last edited by Shepleklet ; 03-03-2010 at 12:47 PM.

The following 2 users say thank you to Shepleklet for this useful post:

sinhabits, Tony Danza
03-02-2010, 07:58 PM #2
ps3-dude
Who’s Jim Erased?
This seems ridiculous unless there is something very serious that has been kept quiet?
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM #3
NP Carling26
Trolling is a art
Seems to me like Activision is ****ing Infinity Ward over and in the ass. They are scared of losing their number one source of income, and they aren't paying them for it either, and are instead trying to scare them into resigning.
03-02-2010, 08:31 PM #4
oubt this story was real, I doubt InfinityWard hasn't heard of a lawyer.
03-02-2010, 11:39 PM #5
Typhoon
ARMY SoLdiEr
Activision is dumb. LOL Why would they do this to IW when IMO they made Activision shoot up there. Its nonsense and I doubt IW will re-sign with activision.
03-03-2010, 06:10 AM #6
Originally posted by Typhoon View Post
Activision is dumb. LOL Why would they do this to IW when IMO they made Activision shoot up there. Its nonsense and I doubt IW will re-sign with activision.

They are probably on contract, so they can't resign, but they can quit! And they wouldn't be able to make a call of duty series either, and their name wouldn't be infinity ward anymore.
03-03-2010, 07:42 AM #7
+tA. Rick
Former Staff
IW signed the devil's contract.
"In return, I get your SOULS.....as well as your money.....or you're fired. Smile"

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo