11-15-2010, 02:19 AM #1
schaffinosx
To and fro the island.
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Kinect vs. Move vs. Wii
Written by SchaffinOSX (Reporter)

With the Kinect finally having released, it is time for us to step back and analyze each product. Of course, in the months to come there will be heated debate concerning which is the best, and like with the console-wars, no one will ever "officially" win. Putting all fanboy arguments aside, however, hopefully we can look at the facts, and come to a more logical conclusion as to which device is, overall, the best.

So, let us begin:

Price

Kinect - Assuming you already own an Xbox 360 console, the base package of the Kinect will cost you £129.99. Some may argue that it is too expensive. However, if you consider that you only need that much to support as many players as you'd like, the price immediately seems better.

Move - The cheapest thing on this list: £29.99. However, you can't buy the controller, go home, and just start playing. You'll also need a PlayStation Eye. Purchasing both the controller and PlayStation Eye will set you back about £44.99. The quality of the controllers make them well worth the value, but unfortunately, if you want to play with others, you'll have to purchase more controllers.

Wii - The Wii currently costs around £149.99. Chances are that if you want a Wii, you already have one. Although it may not quite stack up against the Kinect of the PlayStation Move, the demographics for the Wii console include a hell of a lot of people, despite what some may say.

Accuracy

Kinect - In terms of realtime movement capture, the Kinect fails in comparison to the PlayStation Move. However, the Kinect and PlayStation Move don't exactly use motion control in the same way, and henceforth comparing the two should be out of the question in this regards. The Kinect is about full body control and broad sweeping motions; both of which the Kinect does very well.

Move - Give Sony a pat on the back. The PlayStation Move isn't just a Wii copycat. In fact, it's better in regards to accuracy. When you move your Move controller, the in-game avatar will do the same in realtime, and exactly as you did it. It certainly opens doors to limitless possibilites, and actually boils down to someone's physical skill. For some that's good news, for others, the Move is just another way to try and make us exercise.

Wii - Although the Wii was the pioneer that set this all in motion (no pun intended), it doesn't stack up against the Kinect or Move. The Wii uses pre-set animations, meaning when you swipe the controller, the character does something essentially the same to what you did, but without taking into consideration the way you did it. The Wii Motion Plus has resolved this to some extent, but still is far from stacking up to that of the PlayStation Move.

Setup

Kinect - Despite that some have deemed the Kinect's setup to be utter hell, this source seems to think otherwise: "[W]e have one in the NowGamer office and we play it in a small room with dim lighting and lots of furniture and it works perfectly fine 100 per cent of the time. Kinect takes a bit of calibration sure, but it works fine for us." Unless NowGamer has a Kinect unlike all others, I think it's safe to say that the setup is fairly simplistic.

Move - The Move, being as precise as it is, requires users to calibrate it each time you play each and every game. Although that sounds like a big inconvenience, it really isn't. You either A.) Point your Move controller at the PlayStation Eye for five seconds, or B.) Lift and Lower the controller so that it frames you properly. Then you're done! Thankfully, the Move isn't very space sensitive.

Wii - Very easy to setup. However, it seems as though plenty of people don't understand certain details of getting started. When the Wii first released, many parents who had gotten their children the console returned it, claiming they had been given a faulty product. You may think you understand it, but hey, check the manual if something isn't working the way you think.

Software

Kinect - As with its competitors, the Kinect reaches out to the more casual gaming market, with titles like Kinectimals, Dance Central, and Kinect: Sports launching on day one. There has been much talk about "phase two" of the Kinect, however, which has brought up the combination of pad and motion control. Another gaming revolution o the way?

Move - Currently, the Move has the widest horizon when it comes to games compatible the the PlayStation Move. With games such as Tumble, Sports Champions, and Start the Party already having been released, and the promising future of Killzone 3 and the Sly Collection, it seems Move owners are in for quite a new, and enjoyable experience.

Wii - Although many argue that the Wii has no good games out there, there are quite a few recommended titles out there for Wii owners to look at: Metroid Prime Trilogy, No More Heroes, Madworld, Okami, New Super Mario Bros, Metroid: Other M, Wario World: The Shake Dimension, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Archives, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and of course, Super Mario Galaxy.

Verdict

As of now, it would seem that the PlayStation Move is the best buy. However, the Kinect has just come out, and its future is bright. In the coming weeks and months, this verdict could change entirely. The real winner here isn't the PlayStation Move, though, but the gamers of the world. Never before have the horizons for gaming been so great, and although the PlayStation Move is the best buy at this time, the Wii, Kinect, and Move are all brilliant devices.

It's a great time to be a gamer.

Source: You must login or register to view this content. & N4G

The following 17 users say thank you to schaffinosx for this useful post:

-Smurf-, Crunk, Drake, gopher517, H!MOM, Infinity, karalex, MARY JANE, Mercinarie, Mr. God, NOFEAR, Perfekt, Reaper, River J, Skylines, TheMagicPancake, Wild.
02-12-2011, 11:46 PM #155
MOVE IS THE MOST ACCURATE:bro:
02-23-2011, 04:32 AM #156
Originally posted by Herbert View Post
Even tho i have the PS3 i personally think the Kinect is the best.

whats wrong with move?
02-23-2011, 08:46 AM #157
rappa
Save Point
kinect for sure, no controller is actually innovative
02-25-2011, 06:32 AM #158
lilkid666
A.K.A Alez003
i have wii but thier games r kinda terible PS3
03-07-2011, 09:08 AM #159
SuperGamecube64
ナンバー1任天堂ファン
I have all 3, But i just prefer the Wii...i think it has better games.. ans they came up with the idea first...i just prefer the Wii and think its the best Smile
03-07-2011, 04:10 PM #160
From personal experience, the Kinect is extremely hard to use as it is really inaccurate. You need the perfect lighting conditions and a pretty big room.

I own a Wii and although it is fun and more family friendly than the others, it isn't really for "Gamers". Again you need a fairly large amount of space.

The Move I find is really accurate and has some fairly good games, you can use it in almost any room and you can use it in any lighting conditions.

Personally I prefer the Move.
03-08-2011, 10:29 PM #161
Kinect, you are the controller, ps move is just another wii, its like this KINECT > Wii > Move.
03-16-2011, 04:14 AM #162
-Bane-
Bane Does Work. Like Me.
Move and Wii, are both better than kinect.
I have all 3, and I would put Move, Wii, than Kinect.
detection wise.
03-16-2011, 04:39 PM #163
xdRaiLxHD
Do a barrel roll!
its like this KINECT > Move > Wii. the Wii has bad graphics, the Move has a controller , and the kincet has decent graphics and no controller

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo