06-04-2011, 08:31 PM #1
Default Avatar
x iJB x
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); The Death Of Spiderman? - Spiderman: Edge Of Time
Source: You must login or register to view this content. // By: x iJailBreak x // 04/06 2011

There's something intriguing about watching a superhero die. Most of the time, you've known the character for years as someone who triumphs no matter the odds, so when you know that he or she is going to finally fail, you have to watch.

That's why we're drawn to Spiderman: Edge of Time. The haunting image of Spiderman 2099 carrying the broken body of the Amazing Spiderman was how Beenox Studios introduced Spiderman: Edge of Time to the world in April, and it has stuck with me ever since. The thing we took away from that initial taste was a desire to dive deeper into this story that hinges on the wallcrawler's death, and that's exactly what the E3 demo gave us.

Spiderman: Edge of Time follows up on Beenox's success with Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions. Here, a scientist from the future travels back in time and kills the Amazing Spiderman (that's the red and blue hero we all know and love). This sends a shockwave through the universe that instantly changes the timestream. The time-traveling scientist sets up an evil company that shouldn't exist for dozens of year and molds the future in his image.

Spiderman 2099 is the only one who knows how things used to be - how things are supposed to be - because he went through the time portal with the evil scientist. Now, Spiderman 2099 has to work through time and a telekinetic link with Amazing Spiderman to keep the hero from getting killed and unspooling everything.

Players take on the role of Amazing Spiderman and use his web hammers and such to quell enemies from a distance. Spiderman 2099 is much more melee based and meant to get up close and personal with the bad guys. That's not all that shocking as that's how both of those characters played in Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions, but the E3 demo introduced "Hyper Sense." This ability allows Spidey to slow down time and dodge enemy attacks while getting in some shots of his own.

Hyper Sense is critical because it's needed to take on Anti-Venom. Of course, Anti-Venom is Eddie Brock. In the comics, Brock used to be Venom and be a bad guy, but as Anti-Venom he's a force for good and can cure people of aliments. That doesn't matter here as the evil scientist has taken control of Anti-Venom and is going to use him to fight the Amazing Spiderman. That fight might sound like every other fight in a video game, but Anti-Venom can "cure" Spiderman by removing the radioactivity from his blood. Basically, if he gets his hands on Spidey, he can make him normal again.

SPOILERS!

This is what kills Spiderman. Activision confirmed that Anti-Venom is the foe that takes Spiderman's life and kicks off the entire game. I'm not sure if what I saw in the demo was the second time Spiderman faces off against Anti-Venom or if this truly was the fight that ends his life, but when I found out this is the man that would finally kill Spiderman, the fight meant so much more. Anti-Venom kind of hulks up and lunges at Spiderman. The hero tries to talk him down, but eventually Anti-Venom pins him down and... the demo ends in desperation.

It sucks, but it is a good place for Beenox to stop it. Back in April, we saw Spiderman: Edge of Time for the first time and didn't think too much of it other than that image of a dead Spidey. Now, we all want to see that Anti-Venom fight end. Were those the final moments of Parker's life? Do you play through them? We assumed the game started with a cutscene of Spidey dying and then players took over the task of Spider-Man 2099 trying to stop that from occurring. Now, we're thinking we start on a fool's errand to beat an unbeatable foe.

Is this truly to be the end of Spiderman's life, or are we going to be in for a huge surprise? Who knows. But we'll know a lot more after E3 next week.
06-05-2011, 08:58 AM #11
Air.Jordan
Black and Yellow
Ah, Poor Spidey :(
06-22-2011, 01:15 PM #12
lmfao spidey powea
06-29-2011, 11:54 AM #13
why kill spiderman?
07-17-2011, 03:47 PM #14
Spidey death?!?!?! Woooowww that sounds like a must have game
Really loved the Shattered Dimensions and this one seems to be as good or even better.

But I'm pretty sure that at the end Spidey won't die...
They did the same with Superman and a couple of months later guess what... HE'S BACK!!!
That's why they're superheroes... good always overcome evil Happy
07-17-2011, 04:57 PM #15
ProGreen
Do a barrel roll!
You cant kill off a superhero
07-17-2011, 05:15 PM #16
LegenD
Proxze
Why did I read this?!:(
07-17-2011, 07:20 PM #17
ShinigamiUzi
Proud to be a Player
Oh no
My favorite characters die !! Noo
07-17-2011, 07:52 PM #18
This... is... BULLSHIT!

Why would they finish off Spidey ? :cry:

I really don't think so, it wouldn't be right!
07-18-2011, 08:41 PM #19
Smiithy2010
What You Looking At Fool?
Not spidey he cant die :( Spidey was awesome Smile and didnt the guy that plays superman die from falling of a horse ?
Last edited by Smiithy2010 ; 07-18-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo