01-18-2010, 05:44 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Heres my demons souls review for [JIMERASED]

The game cover..
You must login or register to view this content.

Gameplay

Demon's Souls is a dark medieval adventure. It is basically an open-ended action RPG with real-time combat, a fully customizable avatar with ten different classes, and stat leveling and skill acquisition. Killing enemies nets you souls that are used for, well, everything. Stat boosting, weapon forging, magic spells, items – you name it, you'll need souls to get it. For a Japanese game, Demon's Souls really feels like a WRPG. What really sets the game apart from most others, however, is its staggering difficulty. Was Persona a bit tricky for you? Did Ninja Gaiden 2 seem cheap and unfair? You ain't seen nothing yet. You could take Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth, cram them all together in a possessed blender, and the result would not be as brutal as Demon's Souls.

I'll put it simply: You will die. A lot. Then, you will die some more. Every time you die, all of the souls you gathered will be lost in a bloodstain at the point of your death. If you die again before you make it back to that point, they are lost forever. Enemies can kill you in just a few hits, and they will often gang up on you, sneak up and jump you from behind, or snipe you with arrows and firebombs. Your character is not exactly Ryu Hayabusa either. If you take a typical hack-and-slash approach to combat, you will die hilariously fast. Every dash, every evasive move, every swing of your sword takes stamina, which needs time to recover. Block for too long and your guard will be shattered, at which point you will likely get impaled and killed. When you die in human form, you come back as a spirit with only half of your max HP. Dying in a game normally evidences that something was too difficult for you, and this game responds by making things MORE difficult. All saving is done automatically by the game, and portals back to the nexus world (the game's safe zone and hub for stat boosting and shopping) are few and far between. The game auto saves when you die, and it does it fast too. I tried pulling the plug on my PS3 right after getting shanked by a zombie, and it STILL saved. Oh, and every time you die, all the enemies respawn.

What I really like about Demon's Souls is the fact that it is one of the few games that manages to instill a genuine sense of dread and panic in the player. It's what Resident Evil games tried to do before RE4. You are not a 1st Class member of SOLDIER or a genetically engineered super soldier who can destroy tanks with hand grenades: You are just a guy with a sword and some armor. Other guys with swords and armor can kill you in one hit if you're slow. The difficulty is amazingly well integrated into the game's atmosphere and theme. Imagine if you yourself were actually facing down some giant monster in a dark cavern. You would be terrified and probably get killed in a few seconds, which is what usually happens in this game. It's amazingly consistent. When you see some armored knight with a spear, you have to stop and think about how you will approach; one wrong swing and he'll skewer you. You can't just hold down dash and run everywhere in a new environment; you have to walk carefully, because a pit trap could end your game, or an ambush could catch you with no stamina.

heres a video of some gameplay...
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x948_TUL4-g"]YouTube- Demon's Souls - Gameplay (PS3)[/ame]

Story

It's simple really. King Allanti XII, in seeking power and wealth for his kingdom, accidentally awoke 'The Old One' from his slumber and a great fog has spread across the land of Boletaria. Demons have infested the kingdom and soon, the fog shall cover the entire world unless brave souls are able to slay the demons and lull 'The Old One' back to sleep. You play as one such brave soul, and your actions may allow you to become Boletaria's savior, or something else.

Demon's Souls takes WRPG non-linearity and gives it a JRPG style focus on action. Like Fallout 3 or Fable II, after you finish the first section, you can basically go wherever you want. The game features both character and world alignment systems (called 'tendency'Winky Winky both of which can fluctuate between white and black. Alignment affects not only the story, but also the game's difficulty, spells, accessories, and numerous other character and game attributes. Unlike Fallout 3 or Fable II, you are not going to be spending much time doing things like raising a family, running a blacksmith shop, or completing fetch quests for NPC's. You shape the fate of Boletaria through killing, slaughtering, or slaying demons.

Control
Easy to operate, but hard to master. That is the best way to characterize Demon's Souls' control. You don't have any long attack chains or combos to memorize; rather you have to learn how to time parries with your shield, when to evade, and how to backstab properly. Managing stamina also takes practice, and there is no true pause button, so you have to make sure your equipment is set up right at all times. The camera rotates like most action games, and is occasionally a pain in tight spaces. There really is nothing too involved about using magic or switching weapons, but in a game as unforgiving as this, you have to make the controls second nature.

Sound

Demon's Souls has a weak soundtrack overall. Some of the dramatic orchestral themes during boss fights are fun, and background music is quite suitable when it is there. Most of the time, you won't hear any music at all, so there really is not anything to criticize. Appropriately sinister background tracks during exploration would have really been cool, though I thought the lack of music seemed fitting. Silence is, after all, far more disconcerting when you are wandering around some dark monster-infested cavern. The effect noises are gruesome and grand. I never got sick of the fleshy splashing sound swords make as they carve the hides of human beings.

Wow, that sounded creepy.

The voice work is also passable. It is all English, and the classical style (read: British accents) suits the medieval setting. There isn't a heck of a lot of it though. Like the music, voice work is rather scarce as Demon's Souls lacks long cut scenes. NPC's rarely take much of your time when asking something of you. From a gameplay perspective, I appreciate a game that doesn't bog you down with half-hour periods of just sitting and watching. Yet when I consider all aspects of Demon's Souls' sound, it just is not that impressive.

I told jim about this and he told me to post it here so he would move it and i was going to enter the thing to join the news team but i was like cbb so tell me what you think!
Last edited by JimErased ; 01-20-2010 at 07:33 PM.
01-20-2010, 07:33 PM #2
Nice review, must have taken a lot of time and effort to make!

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo