04-15-2016, 10:31 PM #1
ProPieEater
Bounty hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Okay first off, i don't believe my problem is a software problem so im not even sure if i can ask this here BUT:

I am having trouble connecting my ps3 to my TV. Before i get the same answer result as in every FAQ ever, i want to say that this is more than holding the power button till a beep or 2. Firstly, i did a complete dismantle of the ps3, all the way to the motherboard. It was working just fine before i opened it, i was doing a demonstration for my friend. Of course, i had done this countless other times to help my friends with their PS3 issues, but i had never had an issue like this before. The HDMI port looks fine, and i used my friends ps3 on the same TV and the same HDMI so i know those are not broken. This leaves only room to assume that the HDMI port on the ps3 is broken. I looked at the port from the inside and outside and i don't see a difference between pictures online of working ports. all the pins are the same and everything. The model number is CECH-2501A. One more clue that i may not be interpreting right is that the HDD drive does not load correctly. it flashes for a little, then once more, then stays off until i hold the power button to turn it off. Right before it turns off, the HDD light shines and then the ps3 turns off. even without the HDD, the ps3 should ask me to put in an HDD to use but i don't get that message either. if someone has an idea of something i may have missed while reassembling it, feel free to tell me. here are the steps i took to reassemble so far (should work because it worked on other models):

1. put metal case around motherboard and screw it all in
2. connect the fan to the board
3. put in HDD drive
4. connect power button ribbon to ps3
5. connect power supply to metal tongs on board and connect it both to the board from the left side and the power cable on the right
6. Turn it on

That should be everything i need to run the ps3. i dont need the blu ray drive, i dont need the metal controller antennas

NOTE:
1. everything turns on correctly, the fan is spinning, i have a solid green light, but i dont see a display or attempt to display on TV. My TV doesn't even sense it is connected and it is turned on like it should. i do, however, need to hold the power for it to turn back off. that means its not booting correctly like it should.
2. The controller does not connect to the ps3 on a wired connection
3. It has connected to my TV before in this state. i had this problem yesterday and i left it alone for 10 minutes and then it worked for whatever reason.

Please let me know if i forgot something in the reassembly
04-15-2016, 11:39 PM #2
could be a dying nor chip ? or the long boot times aka post times can be telling u some part of the console is dying like ram chips or nor chip
04-16-2016, 12:11 AM #3
ProPieEater
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by 9733
could be a dying nor chip ? or the long boot times aka post times can be telling u some part of the console is dying like ram chips or nor chip

is there a way to test that theory?
04-16-2016, 11:44 AM #4
Dro
i<3myPs3
Originally posted by ProPieEater View Post
Okay first off, i don't believe my problem is a software problem so im not even sure if i can ask this here BUT:

I am having trouble connecting my ps3 to my TV. Before i get the same answer result as in every FAQ ever, i want to say that this is more than holding the power button till a beep or 2. Firstly, i did a complete dismantle of the ps3, all the way to the motherboard. It was working just fine before i opened it, i was doing a demonstration for my friend. Of course, i had done this countless other times to help my friends with their PS3 issues, but i had never had an issue like this before. The HDMI port looks fine, and i used my friends ps3 on the same TV and the same HDMI so i know those are not broken. This leaves only room to assume that the HDMI port on the ps3 is broken. I looked at the port from the inside and outside and i don't see a difference between pictures online of working ports. all the pins are the same and everything. The model number is CECH-2501A. One more clue that i may not be interpreting right is that the HDD drive does not load correctly. it flashes for a little, then once more, then stays off until i hold the power button to turn it off. Right before it turns off, the HDD light shines and then the ps3 turns off. even without the HDD, the ps3 should ask me to put in an HDD to use but i don't get that message either. if someone has an idea of something i may have missed while reassembling it, feel free to tell me. here are the steps i took to reassemble so far (should work because it worked on other models):

1. put metal case around motherboard and screw it all in
2. connect the fan to the board
3. put in HDD drive
4. connect power button ribbon to ps3
5. connect power supply to metal tongs on board and connect it both to the board from the left side and the power cable on the right
6. Turn it on

That should be everything i need to run the ps3. i dont need the blu ray drive, i dont need the metal controller antennas

NOTE:
1. everything turns on correctly, the fan is spinning, i have a solid green light, but i dont see a display or attempt to display on TV. My TV doesn't even sense it is connected and it is turned on like it should. i do, however, need to hold the power for it to turn back off. that means its not booting correctly like it should.
2. The controller does not connect to the ps3 on a wired connection
3. It has connected to my TV before in this state. i had this problem yesterday and i left it alone for 10 minutes and then it worked for whatever reason.

Please let me know if i forgot something in the reassembly

Try with AV cables and do the power button thing to reset video settings. Let us know if something comes on the screen. Be wise on how often/long you run the console in a situation like this.

Also, did you put thermal paste on the console? Noticed you said you took it apart down to the motherboard but didn't say anything about thermal paste.
Last edited by Dro ; 04-16-2016 at 12:01 PM.
04-16-2016, 01:23 PM #5
ProPieEater
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Dro View Post
Try with AV cables and do the power button thing to reset video settings. Let us know if something comes on the screen. Be wise on how often/long you run the console in a situation like this.

Also, did you put thermal paste on the console? Noticed you said you took it apart down to the motherboard but didn't say anything about thermal paste.

a/v cables dont work either. And yes i did replace the thermal paste. You think it might be the paste?

The following user thanked ProPieEater for this useful post:

Dro
04-16-2016, 01:49 PM #6
ProPieEater
Bounty hunter
one more thing i forgot to mention, i had just recently taken a nor backup and re-flashed it using an e3 flasher. i dont think this is the problem though because it does turn on normally
04-16-2016, 03:04 PM #7
Dro
i<3myPs3
a/v cables dont work either. And yes i did replace the thermal paste. You think it might be the paste?

If you put paste on it, I'd trust it just wanted to make sure you did.
That is not good though. With what you have tested, that leaves us with either bad flash or bad GPU...

one more thing i forgot to mention, i had just recently taken a nor backup and re-flashed it using an e3 flasher. i dont think this is the problem though because it does turn on normally

In that case, I can almost guarantee your problem is GLOD from a bad flash. You can fix this by flashing a good backup to the ps3 (if you have one..)
Last edited by Dro ; 04-16-2016 at 03:09 PM.
04-16-2016, 03:24 PM #8
ProPieEater
Bounty hunter
If you put paste on it, I'd trust it just wanted to make sure you did.
That is not good though. With what you have tested, that leaves us with either bad flash or bad GPU...

In that case, I can almost guarantee your problem is GLOD from a bad flash. You can fix this by flashing a good backup to the ps3 (if you have one..)

i have a good backup, but im trying to keep my jb. should i just reflash my good backup, re-backup, and flash the newly patched backup?
04-16-2016, 03:31 PM #9
Dro
i<3myPs3
i have a good backup, but im trying to keep my jb. should i just reflash my good backup, re-backup, and flash the newly patched backup?

Exactly.
04-16-2016, 03:40 PM #10
ProPieEater
Bounty hunter
Exactly.

ill try it when i get home. ill let you know what happens

The following user thanked ProPieEater for this useful post:

Dro

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo