03-15-2015, 02:23 PM #1
pcfreak30
>> PCFreak30.com Happy<<
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); **This is a re-post of a very, very old thread that I felt needed exposure again to ensure more people see and benefit from it and is not limited to COD AW, but I thought AW was likely the most popular COD forum as of now. Please spread this if you can. Thanks..**

Hello everyone. I have not been around in a long time, but you can blame the many that don't appreciate what those who invest their time in greatly, contribute.

Anyways, I figured if there was one thing I would like to pass on from what I have done and learned, it is how to start off correctly.

I ask for you to link any beginner, "noob", "n00b", or "leech" to this thread. I asked a while back to a mod if this could get stickied, but they couldn't guarantee it. None the less I am posting now anyways to get it off my chest.

So Lets Begin.
What is Modding?

The Wikipedia definition: Modding is a slang expression that is derived from the verb "modify". Modding refers to the act of modifying hardware, software, or virtually anything else, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer. The term modding is often used within the computer game community, particularly in regard to creating new or altered content and sharing that via the web.

The blunt definition: For us, modding is altering the game to add/remove stuff, make mini-games. menus/cheat menus/mod menus, and modify the environment (super jump, super speed, ETC).

Why Should I Mod?

[INDENT=2]There are many reasons to mod. For me, it was fun, a challenge, and a learning experience. [/INDENT]
When you mod, it should be just for that. You should be wanting to mod to have some fun. If its not fun, why do it. All of this is a challenge, a puzzle. If you expect to be handed the solved puzzle, close this site, and sell your JTAG/RGH/JB-Homebrew PS3. Most of all you should be wanting to learn. If you don't want to learn and practice you will never gain the skills to do things on your own. This is the problem with many modders, its it is what needs to be corrected.

Why Should I NOT Mod?
This is the million dollar question. We have all seen examples of this. A guy gets a YouTube, starts posting videos about what he thinks is modding, and spams his channel asking for subscribers and views. He comes on forums like this and tries to act like a big shot, or act a very basic question, then may put it on YouTube as a guide. While this may be a bit stretched, its the general idea.

Many modders are now under the age of 12, or even 10. Thing is they are bored online, find a game, and they want to have "fun" by getting "cool" stats, a menu, jump around, and say "Look at me". You should NOT EVER, ever never ever mod for the purpose of fame or glory. It is not what modding is about. If you have issues at home, or school and are not getting attention from friends or your family (
neglection), talk to someone about it, or get help if the situation is bad enough.
Modding for the sake of looking cool to raise you self-esteem is NOT a proper reason to mod and should NOT be done.
Trying to get as many subscribers/views as possible on YouTube is NOT a reason for modding if that is the sole reason. YouTube subscribers and/or
views do not rate or make one better than the other.

What You Need To Know To Mod
Too many people just look up modding, watch a YouTube video, and then try themselves. After they think they are a cool "hacker"/"modder" and get cocky. Really you do need to have some skills to mod.

Modding is half reverse-engineering and half programming. You need to be able to take something and figure out how it was made. By doing so, you split it up into its core parts. Then you can modify a single part. To modify it, you must speak computer. This means you NEED programming skills to mod ever. Taking "code" you found and using it isn't modding. Unless you can write something from scratch, your not a true programmer, or a real/decent modder.

So how do you go about programming? My suggestion is go on W3Schools.com and learn JavaScript. You can also learn python. Once you understand the basics of programming, you will be able to edit game code for real and even write your own.

Reverse engineering is the challenge part of modding. You are given a set of files, with no instructions. The only thing you can do is use your current skills to examine the files and figure out whats what. This is how the modders ' with true skills and talent do their work.

I hope this helps you understand where to start off. As I think of new things, I may add it, or I may never update this thread. A lot of "established" modder's feel this way as I have talked to most. This is ment as a wake-up call to the new comers.

Happy Modding!

The following 7 users say thank you to pcfreak30 for this useful post:

Im_YouViolateMe, jwm614, Miyata, John, Saint Goofy, Stunz

The following 2 users groaned at pcfreak30 for this awful post:

Cameron.., Dacoco
03-15-2015, 03:25 PM #2
Thank you sir for this thread. Now, can anybody tell me what is a SPRX plz?
03-15-2015, 04:14 PM #3
Script Kiddie
At least I can fight
holy shit your alive Eek

The following user thanked Script Kiddie for this useful post:

Miyata
03-15-2015, 06:09 PM #4
pcfreak30
>> PCFreak30.com Happy<<
Originally posted by RileyErased View Post
holy shit your alive Eek

What, am I an urban legend now or something? ROFL. I have always been around watching once in a few months. I just moved on to more important things since im not a kid and need money. Am not really interested im messing with modding publicaly as long as I feel my past mistakes will come to bite me in the ass and shit just repeat itself.

Originally posted by modz View Post
Thank you sir for this thread. Now, can anybody tell me what is a SPRX plz?

Would appreciate if you would not troll. But if your serious (as random as that may be), its the equiv to a DLL on windows or a XEX library on xbox. A set of code made for reuse to be used with multiple programs.
03-20-2015, 12:43 PM #5
Originally posted by pcfreak30 View Post
**This is a re-post of a very, very old thread that I felt needed exposure again to ensure more people see and benefit from it and is not limited to COD AW, but I thought AW was likely the most popular COD forum as of now. Please spread this if you can. Thanks..**

Hello everyone. I have not been around in a long time, but you can blame the many that don't appreciate what those who invest their time in greatly, contribute.

Anyways, I figured if there was one thing I would like to pass on from what I have done and learned, it is how to start off correctly.

I ask for you to link any beginner, "noob", "n00b", or "leech" to this thread. I asked a while back to a mod if this could get stickied, but they couldn't guarantee it. None the less I am posting now anyways to get it off my chest.

So Lets Begin.
What is Modding?

The Wikipedia definition: Modding is a slang expression that is derived from the verb "modify". Modding refers to the act of modifying hardware, software, or virtually anything else, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer. The term modding is often used within the computer game community, particularly in regard to creating new or altered content and sharing that via the web.

The blunt definition: For us, modding is altering the game to add/remove stuff, make mini-games. menus/cheat menus/mod menus, and modify the environment (super jump, super speed, ETC).

Why Should I Mod?

[INDENT=2]There are many reasons to mod. For me, it was fun, a challenge, and a learning experience. [/INDENT]
When you mod, it should be just for that. You should be wanting to mod to have some fun. If its not fun, why do it. All of this is a challenge, a puzzle. If you expect to be handed the solved puzzle, close this site, and sell your JTAG/RGH/JB-Homebrew PS3. Most of all you should be wanting to learn. If you don't want to learn and practice you will never gain the skills to do things on your own. This is the problem with many modders, its it is what needs to be corrected.

Why Should I NOT Mod?
This is the million dollar question. We have all seen examples of this. A guy gets a YouTube, starts posting videos about what he thinks is modding, and spams his channel asking for subscribers and views. He comes on forums like this and tries to act like a big shot, or act a very basic question, then may put it on YouTube as a guide. While this may be a bit stretched, its the general idea.

Many modders are now under the age of 12, or even 10. Thing is they are bored online, find a game, and they want to have "fun" by getting "cool" stats, a menu, jump around, and say "Look at me". You should NOT EVER, ever never ever mod for the purpose of fame or glory. It is not what modding is about. If you have issues at home, or school and are not getting attention from friends or your family (
neglection), talk to someone about it, or get help if the situation is bad enough.
Modding for the sake of looking cool to raise you self-esteem is NOT a proper reason to mod and should NOT be done.
Trying to get as many subscribers/views as possible on YouTube is NOT a reason for modding if that is the sole reason. YouTube subscribers and/or
views do not rate or make one better than the other.

What You Need To Know To Mod
Too many people just look up modding, watch a YouTube video, and then try themselves. After they think they are a cool "hacker"/"modder" and get cocky. Really you do need to have some skills to mod.

Modding is half reverse-engineering and half programming. You need to be able to take something and figure out how it was made. By doing so, you split it up into its core parts. Then you can modify a single part. To modify it, you must speak computer. This means you NEED programming skills to mod ever. Taking "code" you found and using it isn't modding. Unless you can write something from scratch, your not a true programmer, or a real/decent modder.

So how do you go about programming? My suggestion is go on W3Schools.com and learn JavaScript. You can also learn python. Once you understand the basics of programming, you will be able to edit game code for real and even write your own.

Reverse engineering is the challenge part of modding. You are given a set of files, with no instructions. The only thing you can do is use your current skills to examine the files and figure out whats what. This is how the modders ' with true skills and talent do their work.

I hope this helps you understand where to start off. As I think of new things, I may add it, or I may never update this thread. A lot of "established" modder's feel this way as I have talked to most. This is ment as a wake-up call to the new comers.

Happy Modding!

If I had powers in this section I would sticky :fa:
03-24-2015, 05:03 AM #6
pcfreak30
>> PCFreak30.com Happy<<
Originally posted by Black
If I had powers in this section I would sticky :fa:

I messaged an admin, but it seems I was plain ignored. Would appreciate if staff at-least considered sticking this so its a proper reminder to new comers.
03-24-2015, 06:54 AM #7
SC58
Former Staff
Also, Just because you have a Modded Console and uses mods people make don't mean you're a "Modder", You're just a person who uses mods, A Modder is one who makes (Not leech) and reverse engineer thing's them self. That's how i look at it True story

You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by SC58 ; 03-24-2015 at 06:56 AM.

The following 3 users say thank you to SC58 for this useful post:

Im_YouViolateMe, pcfreak30
03-24-2015, 10:26 AM #8
Originally posted by pcfreak30 View Post
I messaged an admin, but it seems I was plain ignored. Would appreciate if staff at-least considered sticking this so its a proper reminder to new comers.

Contact BigTrain. He'll respond. Now, could you just explain overall what eboots, selfs/elfs, .ff files, sprx, ppc, cfg, gsc, and other common files are? I know most of them (not very much on sprx, since I've never tried sprx plugins), but it'd be nice if all their definitions and more were in one thread instead of making a user Google search across different forums. Gives more reason to sticky, no?
03-24-2015, 08:38 PM #9
Cameron..
Little One
I see why an admin ignored your request for this to be a sticky.
03-24-2015, 10:38 PM #10
This isn't how to properly start modding at all.. more like a "I hate how these kids who use already made programs call themselves modders"

Besides that modding is a very big word. To the normal fair unknowing public, altering the memory with netcheat or whatever to cheat is considers modding.

In the scene that's for noobies, we get it, but you shouldn't hate on kids who think they are modding.
Or hate on the definition of modding. This is some kind of elitism.

What you and I think, is comparable how to atheists and beliebers beliebe in God.
Oh but that isn't the true god, he doesn't exist, God is a she, no god is everything and doesn't have a gender blablabla.

The point is, that you need to place yourself in other people's shoes, to understand why they define something the way they do.
And then forget about all that cause nobody should care about 1 word so much when there are 1,025,109.8 words in the English vocab. Also, ain't nobody got time for that.

Some simply prefer to be end users and modify their games in one way or the other.

The following user thanked Ishimura for this useful post:

Cameron..

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo