Post: [OFW 4.70] How to install custom Patch for MW2 and Host Mod Menu
04-13-2015, 10:10 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Firstly I'd like to say that I, of course, was not the first person to do this. I spent at least 4 days trying to figure this out, all because of 1 stupid .bin file I couldn't get. But none-the-less I have got a MW2 Mod Menu running on a 1.11 Patch, plus Official Firmware v4.70. I Would leave this alone, but I felt that there were too many different videos about the same thing and I ended just getting all confused. So if you've seen similar methods but not got anywhere I want you to forget about all of it, because you're gunna learn how to do this right now.
Quick warnings: I'm not responsible if you mess up and do something bad to your console, also DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS METHOD ON CFW. There are easier ways of doing this on CFW and it'd be stupid to do it this way (you lose CFW this way).

How to Get Your PS3 Backup
The first thing you'll need is your PS3 Backup. If you already know how to get a back up, skip to the next subheading.

1. Power up your console and have it updated to 4.70.
2. Go to System settings.
3. Plug in a Hard drive or other external storage (Capacity required is dependant of how much you have on console. I would backup all savedata/music/etc and do a quick format. to do this got to the format utility under system settings).
4. Go down to Backup Utility.
5. Follow the instructions to backup from there, very simple.
6. Wait for backup to complete and you're 1 step closer to getting them Mods Smile

Getting A Clean MW2 1.11 Patch
A clean patch is the official update for a game. This is what we are going to edit to get our mods >Smile

1. Open up your internet browser and go to your favourite search engine, such as Google or bing.
2. Type in something along the lines of "MW2 1.11 PKG Download". You must donwload the patch as a PKG file.
3. Here is a link that has all MW2 PKG Files:
You must login or register to view this content.
4. Once downloaded, it's best to keep organised so make a folder just for the PKG and Patch_mp.ff (We'll come to that second bit next).
When doing this step, be sure to download the correct Region. To find out your games' region codes, look at the disk case on the thin edge at the bottom it should say something like BLES00123 or BLUS00123.

Great! So far we've got our backup and our Clean patch. There are only a few things left to do!

Choosing a Mod Menu...
There are many out there that are all great, so feel free to do some browsing, just be sure that you are looking for v1.11 patches though, otherwise this won't work.
Here is the one that I use, it's brilliant as it has some of the other great patches on it that you can change to ingame, such as Elitemossy v8, or Jarniboi!
It is the xXDKMODZGR V1 EDIT. This download is for BLES00683 ONLY. You must find a mod menu that comes in your file region, so it's a good idea when searching to add your region code at the end of your search.
Once you've chosen and downloaded a MW2 1.11 patch_mp.ff file for your region we can move on to the next step.

Decypting PKG File
This is where we mod our clean MW2 Patch, and make it not so clean. You'll first need to download a tool. It comes as a .zip/.rar file so be sure you have an extraction tool for that (Winrar is a common favourite).
1. Scroll all the way down, past the screenshots, to the download section and download the latest version of the PKG Decrypter and Extracter tool.
2. Once it is downloaded go ahead and run it (not necessary but as Admin is always preferred).
3. Double click the address bar in the program and a windows explorer window should open up.
4. Go to where you put your Clean MW2 Patch PKG.
5. Click ok to select your PKG and click the small 'Extract' button. The program will ask you if you want to verify it, click no. It doesn't matter too much if you press yes though.
6. In the same place as your PKG File you should now have a folder with the same name as the PKG (Minus the '.PKG' at the end).

Ok so no we've got our PKG extracted, and ready to mod.

Modding our Extracted PKG
This bit is a lot less exciting then you'd imagine.
1. Find your Modded MW2 Patch_mp.ff that you downloaded earlier.
2. Right click it and select 'Copy'
3. Go to where you put your PKG file.
4. Go into the Extracted PKG folder, then into the BLES00683 (or whatever your region code is) folder, then into the USRDIR folder.
5. Right click anywhere in this window and select 'Paste'. When it asks you if you want to replace, click Yes, or Replace all.
6. Tada. You now have your very own MW2 Modded Patch.

We do not need to re-encrypt this folder back to a PKG, because that would just be ridiculous.
Instead we need another tool. It is called PeXploit. Now this is where I kept hitting a wall because of IDPS.bin. The normal version of the tool requires your console ID which we can no longer get, therefore rendering the tool useless. BUT, there is a Lite version of the tool that does not require the console ID. This tool however does not have as much option as the original tool.
Here is the link to the Pexploit Lite tool (P.S. Took me a few hours to find this, so I think I deserve a clap. Just one though):
Credit to thedarkprogramer ^^^ "Without this man, we would not be where we are today." That's a quote, from my brain.
Right so now you've downloaded that, it's time to take it easy.

Putting The Patch In Your Backup
Start by Backing up your backup. Yes. A backup of a backup. Very smart idea. Anything that happens to your backup is quite easily reversed, but it's always a good idea to backup.
1. Open Pexploit Lite.
2. Click the 'Extracted PKG' button at the top of the GUI.
3. Click the 'Load Backup' Button.
4. Go to your External hard drive and go into PS3>EXPORT>2123123123. Open up the archive.dat file in this directory.
5. Wait for the program to do it's thing.
6. Click the 'Load Packages' button.
7. Go to where your Extracted, and now modded, PKG is.
8. Select the BLES00123 folder and click ok.
9. In the 'Usernumber' Box type in 00000050. That's Six 0s and then '50'.
10. Click 'Patch and Go'. Wait for it to do it's magic, and hey-presto you now have a Modded Patch installed to your PS3 Backup.

Restoring PS3 Backup
This is where we go back to our PS3 and go to System Settings, Backup Utility, Restore. Make sure Hard Drive is plugged in and then follow on-screen instructions to restore your backup.
Once it is completed you now have a 4.70 OFW PS3 with a custom Patch installed onto it. BUT, to be able to play this new patch, you must do a Bypass. There are Proxy servers that do this for you, but I have no idea about that stuff and I'm just going to show you what I did.

Bypassing MW2 Updates
There are such things as 'Kiosk' or 'Shop' Firmwares for PS3. Say you walk into a computer shop (2 years ago) and there is a PS3 on display you can play. The firmware they are on is a demonstration firmware, which bypasses all game updates. There is also an install packages section, which is what Jailbreak users use to install such things as Multiman File manager. IT DOES NOT WORK. Don't try to install Homebrew stuff on an OFW console, it just doesn't work. The PS3 basically goes like this "Oh look, new software. Let's have a look at it's licensi- What's that? There is none? Oh well, looks like you're not being installed here." So don't be silly.
All you have to do to bypass is download 4.70 Kiosk Firmware (You might want the reverter just in case too) and install via recovery mode. We'll go through that now.

Installing Kiosk FW
1. Download 4.70 Kiosk FW from the web. This should be a file of around 196MB, so you may be waiting a little while.
2. Once it has downloaded grab you External HDD again.
3. Go to Computer and then your External HDD.
4. In here, there should already be a PS3 Folder on the Root of your HDD.
5. Go into the PS3 Folder and make a New Folder and name it UPDATE
6. Copy your PS3 4.70 Kiosk Firmware into this directory. Make sure the name of the file is PS3UPDAT.PUP otherwise the PS3 won't recognise the file.
7. Go to security settings on your PS3. Go to the 'Change Passcode' bit and enter your current password. Then change it to 0000. This will make things less complicated later on.
8. Turn off your PS3.
9. Put your PS3 into recovery mode. Steps 10 - 13 will explain how to do this, so feel free to skip ahead if you already know how.
10. Press and hold the PS3 power button until it beeps twice and then turns itself off.
11. Press and hold again, but this time it will beep twice then have 2 fast consecutive beeps instead of turning off.
12. Let go of the power button after these 2 beeps.
13. Plug in a PS3 Controller using a USB Cable and press the PS Button.
14. Go down to System Update. You should probably plug your external into your PS3 round about now.
15. Follow on-screen instructions to install 4.70 Kiosk Firmware.
16. Once it has installed and updated your PS3 will restart.

Hurray! You've done it! You've successfully got a MW2 patch onto your PS3 running 4.70 OFW (well Kiosk fw, but it's still official and not Custom Firmware!).
Every time you turn on your PS3 go to Security settings, and whilst hovering over that press L1 R1 Select and Square all at the same time. Then you'll enter your passcode, which we set to '0000'. At the bottom of system settings there will be the false and tricksy Install Package Files option. This is the option of Satan and Death. Never go there. Ever. You have been warned!

Once you've entered your Passcode go ahead and open up MW2 and go to multiplayer online, start a private match and your patch should run (if you've done everything right). If it does not run, re-download the clean patch making sure it's got the correct region code, and find a new Mod menu patch, again checking the region code.
To get your friends to join, have them delete there MW2 Patch and tell them to find a MW2 1.11 Bypass proxy. They should then be able to join Smile

I hope that this has helped all of you Official Firmware users. I have only ever had CFW once, and that was back when 3.55 just came out. I was stupid enough to update my PS3 and lost it. Ever since, I have missed those MW2 lobbies... But now I've got them again and felt I had to share my method with the world. TOOK TOO LONG TO FIGURE THIS OUT AND TO NOT GO BATSH*T CRAYCRAY WHEN IT WORKED.
Seriously though, credit where it is due to all of those who created the tools required, who provided Clean patches, and the good old Modding Community Smile
I'd also like to thank PS3HAX, and NGU, not for anything in particular. Just a quick thanks. If there are any problems or questions, post in the comments or add me on PSN at W3syw00d.
Hosting MW2 1.11 Bypass Menu, free of charge with infections Winky Winky

P.S If you want to go back to non kiosk firmware, just download a 4.70 Reverter and go into recovery mode and install that. It'll restore your PS3 to it's former self. Download can be found easily Smile

Rant over.

Edit [19/07/2016]: All links provided in the post are still working :P Been having some fun hosting these menus for people. Also I have no idea about Macs and whether or not the programs work with them, so I apologise for being unhelpful at this stage :/ Oh and another P.S, if you're going to complain about them not fixing MW2 so that people stop modding go somewhere else to do it. This entire thread is devoted to modding MW2, but I doubt you're going to go through each one telling them that it should be fixed. Just leave it out :P
Last edited by Googleit1 ; 07-19-2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Replying to mac users

The following 7 users say thank you to Googleit1 for this useful post:

FRINZ, Gummy101, koekiemonstarr2, LostAndCramb, lumbzpk, X-UNDEAD_NINJA2
05-12-2015, 05:27 AM #2
FRINZ
I’m too L33T
good stuff.
05-13-2015, 05:14 AM #3
You can do this or simply upload your 1.11 patch.ff and than delete default_mp. And boom go online.
05-15-2015, 01:36 PM #4
Thanks buddy Smile
05-15-2015, 01:37 PM #5
Originally posted by FRlNZ View Post
good stuff.

Thanks man Smile
05-15-2015, 01:38 PM #6
X-Nothing-X
There's way Too Much..
I'm saying this as an owner of 2 CFW systems.

I hope they patch MW2, and completely change the code. That game is great, and you can't even play it any more.

The following user thanked X-Nothing-X for this useful post:

05-15-2015, 03:41 PM #7
Originally posted by X View Post
I'm saying this as an owner of 2 CFW systems.

I hope they patch MW2, and completely change the code. That game is great, and you can't even play it any more.

They won't, waste of money to them. It's simply to much money to fix mw2, and why would they?
05-15-2015, 04:50 PM #8
Originally posted by Googleit1 View Post
Firstly I'd like to say that I, of course, was not the first person to do this. I spent at least 4 days trying to figure this out, all because of 1 stupid .bin file I couldn't get. But none-the-less I have got a MW2 Mod Menu running on a 1.11 Patch, plus Official Firmware v4.70. I Would leave this alone, but I felt that there were too many different videos about the same thing and I ended just getting all confused. So if you've seen similar methods but not got anywhere I want you to forget about all of it, because you're gunna learn how to do this right now.
Quick warnings: I'm not responsible if you mess up and do something bad to your console, also DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS METHOD ON CFW. There are easier ways of doing this on CFW and it'd be stupid to do it this way (you lose CFW this way).

How to Get Your PS3 Backup
The first thing you'll need is your PS3 Backup. If you already know how to get a back up, skip to the next subheading.

1. Power up your console and have it updated to 4.70.
2. Go to System settings.
3. Plug in a Hard drive or other external storage (Capacity required is dependant of how much you have on console. I would backup all savedata/music/etc and do a quick format. to do this got to the format utility under system settings).
4. Go down to Backup Utility.
5. Follow the instructions to backup from there, very simple.
6. Wait for backup to complete and you're 1 step closer to getting them Mods Smile

Getting A Clean MW2 1.11 Patch
A clean patch is the official update for a game. This is what we are going to edit to get our mods >Smile

1. Open up your internet browser and go to your favourite search engine, such as Google or bing.
2. Type in something along the lines of "MW2 1.11 PKG Download". You must donwload the patch as a PKG file.
3. Here is a link that has all MW2 PKG Files:
4. Once downloaded, it's best to keep organised so make a folder just for the PKG and Patch_mp.ff (We'll come to that second bit next).
When doing this step, be sure to download the correct Region. To find out your games' region codes, look at the disk case on the thin edge at the bottom it should say something like BLES00123 or BLUS00123.

Great! So far we've got our backup and our Clean patch. There are only a few things left to do!

Choosing a Mod Menu...
There are many out there that are all great, so feel free to do some browsing, just be sure that you are looking for v1.11 patches though, otherwise this won't work.
Here is the one that I use, it's brilliant as it has some of the other great patches on it that you can change to ingame, such as Elitemossy v8, or Jarniboi!
It is the xXDKMODZGR V1 EDIT. This download is for BLES00683 ONLY. You must find a mod menu that comes in your file region, so it's a good idea when searching to add your region code at the end of your search.
Once you've chosen and downloaded a MW2 1.11 patch_mp.ff file for your region we can move on to the next step.

Decypting PKG File
This is where we mod our clean MW2 Patch, and make it not so clean. You'll first need to download a tool. It comes as a .zip/.rar file so be sure you have an extraction tool for that (Winrar is a common favourite).
1. Scroll all the way down, past the screenshots, to the download section and download the latest version of the PKG Decrypter and Extracter tool.
2. Once it is downloaded go ahead and run it (not necessary but as Admin is always preferred).
3. Double click the address bar in the program and a windows explorer window should open up.
4. Go to where you put your Clean MW2 Patch PKG.
5. Click ok to select your PKG and click the small 'Extract' button. The program will ask you if you want to verify it, click no. It doesn't matter too much if you press yes though.
6. In the same place as your PKG File you should now have a folder with the same name as the PKG (Minus the '.PKG' at the end).

Ok so no we've got our PKG extracted, and ready to mod.

Modding our Extracted PKG
This bit is a lot less exciting then you'd imagine.
1. Find your Modded MW2 Patch_mp.ff that you downloaded earlier.
2. Right click it and select 'Copy'
3. Go to where you put your PKG file.
4. Go into the Extracted PKG folder, then into the BLES00683 (or whatever your region code is) folder, then into the USRDIR folder.
5. Right click anywhere in this window and select 'Paste'. When it asks you if you want to replace, click Yes, or Replace all.
6. Tada. You now have your very own MW2 Modded Patch.

We do not need to re-encrypt this folder back to a PKG, because that would just be ridiculous.
Instead we need another tool. It is called PeXploit. Now this is where I kept hitting a wall because of IDPS.bin. The normal version of the tool requires your console ID which we can no longer get, therefore rendering the tool useless. BUT, there is a Lite version of the tool that does not require the console ID. This tool however does not have as much option as the original tool.
Here is the link to the Pexploit Lite tool (P.S. Took me a few hours to find this, so I think I deserve a clap. Just one though):
Credit to thedarkprogramer ^^^ "Without this man, we would not be where we are today." That's a quote, from my brain.
Right so now you've downloaded that, it's time to take it easy.

Putting The Patch In Your Backup
Start by Backing up your backup. Yes. A backup of a backup. Very smart idea. Anything that happens to your backup is quite easily reversed, but it's always a good idea to backup.
1. Open Pexploit Lite.
2. Click the 'Extracted PKG' button at the top of the GUI.
3. Click the 'Load Backup' Button.
4. Go to your External hard drive and go into PS3>EXPORT>2123123123. Open up the archive.dat file in this directory.
5. Wait for the program to do it's thing.
6. Click the 'Load Packages' button.
7. Go to where your Extracted, and now modded, PKG is.
8. Select the BLES00123 folder and click ok.
9. In the 'Usernumber' Box type in 00000050. That's Six 0s and then '50'.
10. Click 'Patch and Go'. Wait for it to do it's magic, and hey-presto you now have a Modded Patch installed to your PS3 Backup.

Restoring PS3 Backup
This is where we go back to our PS3 and go to System Settings, Backup Utility, Restore. Make sure Hard Drive is plugged in and then follow on-screen instructions to restore your backup.
Once it is completed you now have a 4.70 OFW PS3 with a custom Patch installed onto it. BUT, to be able to play this new patch, you must do a Bypass. There are Proxy servers that do this for you, but I have no idea about that stuff and I'm just going to show you what I did.

Bypassing MW2 Updates
There are such things as 'Kiosk' or 'Shop' Firmwares for PS3. Say you walk into a computer shop (2 years ago) and there is a PS3 on display you can play. The firmware they are on is a demonstration firmware, which bypasses all game updates. There is also an install packages section, which is what Jailbreak users use to install such things as Multiman File manager. IT DOES NOT WORK. Don't try to install Homebrew stuff on an OFW console, it just doesn't work. The PS3 basically goes like this "Oh look, new software. Let's have a look at it's licensi- What's that? There is none? Oh well, looks like you're not being installed here." So don't be silly.
All you have to do to bypass is download 4.70 Kiosk Firmware (You might want the reverter just in case too) and install via recovery mode. We'll go through that now.

Installing Kiosk FW
1. Download 4.70 Kiosk FW from the web. This should be a file of around 196MB, so you may be waiting a little while.
2. Once it has downloaded grab you External HDD again.
3. Go to Computer and then your External HDD.
4. In here, there should already be a PS3 Folder on the Root of your HDD.
5. Go into the PS3 Folder and make a New Folder and name it UPDATE
6. Copy your PS3 4.70 Kiosk Firmware into this directory. Make sure the name of the file is PS3UPDAT.PUP otherwise the PS3 won't recognise the file.
7. Go to security settings on your PS3. Go to the 'Change Passcode' bit and enter your current password. Then change it to 0000. This will make things less complicated later on.
8. Turn off your PS3.
9. Put your PS3 into recovery mode. Steps 10 - 13 will explain how to do this, so feel free to skip ahead if you already know how.
10. Press and hold the PS3 power button until it beeps twice and then turns itself off.
11. Press and hold again, but this time it will beep twice then have to fast consecutive beeps instead of turning off. Let go of the power button after these 2 beeps.
12. Let go of the power button after these 2 beeps.
13. Plug in a PS3 Controller using a USB Cable and press the PS Button.
14. Go down to System Update. You should probably plug your external into your PS3 round about now.
15. Follow on-screen instructions to install 4.70 Kiosk Firmware.
16. Once it has installed and updated your PS3 will restart.

Hurray! You've done it! You've successfully got a MW2 patch onto your PS3 running 4.70 OFW (well Kiosk fw, but it's still official and not Custom Firmware!).
Everytime you turn on your PS3 go to Security settings, and whilst hovering over that press L1 R1 Select and Square all at the same time. Then you'll enter your passcode, which we set to '0000'. At the bottom of system settings there will be the false and tricksy Install Package Files option. This is the option of Satan and Death. Never go there. Ever. You have been warned!

Once you've entered your Passcode go ahead and open up MW2 and go to multiplayer online, start a private match and your patch should run (if you've done everything right). If it does not run, re-download the clean patch making sure it's got the correct region code, and find a new Mod menu patch, again checking the region code.
To get your friends to join, have them delete there MW2 Patch and tell them to find a MW2 1.11 Bypass proxy. They should then be able to join Smile

I hope that this has helped all of you Official Firmware users. I have only ever had CFW once, and that was back when 3.55 just came out. I was stupid enough to update my PS3 and lost it. Ever since, I have missed those MW2 lobbies... But now I've got them again and felt I had to share my method with the world. TOOK TOO LONG TO FIGURE THIS OUT AND TO NOT GO BATSH*T CRAYCRAY WHEN IT WORKED.
Seriously though, credit where it is due to all of those who created the tools required, who provided Clean patches, and the good old Modding Community Smile
I'd also like to thank PS3HAX, and NGU, not for anything in particular. Just a quick thanks. If there are any problems or questions, post in the comments or add me on PSN at W3syw00d.
Hosting MW2 1.11 Bypass Menu, free of charge with infections Winky Winky

P.S If you want to go back to non kiosk firmware, just download a 4.70 Reverter and go into recovery mode and install that. It'll restore your PS3 to it's former self. Download can be found easily Smile

Rant over.

Very detailed . Good work
06-01-2015, 02:27 AM #9
Im on a mac so i dont know if this will work but the program i use to extract the .pkg wont do it any help?
06-16-2015, 06:52 PM #10
I hate to say it, but if you're against modding MW2 why are you here? Go complain somewhere where people will actually care about stuff like that, because this section is all about modding mw2. Js.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo