08-02-2014, 02:59 PM #1
fake333
Do a barrel roll!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Or "Why Game Genie will most likely never be able to do it for you"

If you're like me, you probably realized that Rogue Legacy is a game that becomes easy when you have tons of cash. Unfortunately, there's a number of reasons that programs like Game Genie will never be able to modify it for you. For one thing, Rogue Legacy's save data is constantly changing in size, meaning that values constantly move and making it impossible to narrow down a set location for a value. There's also a weird catch with Rogue Legacy's data that I'll explain in this guide.

So first off, here's what you'll need:

-Bruteforce (Any version, just make sure the database is up to date to include Rogue Legacy)
-A Hex Editing Program (I prefer to use HxD, because it's simple and easy for beginners)
-A PS3 version save for Rogue Legacy (Obviously)
-A USB Drive (Again, super obvious)

Before we go into ANY of the computer portions of this guide, you'll need to actually play Rogue Legacy. It's easiest to start a new file (but can be done with an in-progress one as well) and playthrough as far as you can with your first character. Collect AS MUCH money as you can before you die.

When you pick your next character, DO NOT BUY ANY UPGRADES. You'll want to have as much money as possible. Now keep track of the EXACT amount of money you have. Write it down, make a new notepad document, get a tattoo of it, whatever.

Now you'll want to pause and quit the game to the title screen, then quit to the PS3 XMB menu. Copy your save to the Flash Drive. Load the Flash Drive on your Computer.

Open Bruteforce (Make sure to run it as administrator or it might be a little wonky with Decryption) and decrypt your save file. Now open the "SAVEDAT0" file in your Hex Editor of choice. Again, I prefer HxD.

Now here's the tricky part: finding your money. Rogue Legacy's data has an interesting... gimmick to it. But we'll get to that in a bit. First things first, bring up that number for the money you had. For the sake of simplicity, I'll use 470 as an example. Get out your calculator and convert this to hex. So, 470 becomes 1D6. Now, in the data, money has 8 digits worth of data, so stick zeroes to the front of your current value. so 1D6 becomes 000001D6. You'll see why you do this in a moment.

Ordinarily, this is as much as you'd need to do to find a simple value in standard game data. But as I said before, Rogue Legacy is different. For reasons that are complicated and that I don't even completely understand (despite my whizkid brother's best explanations), the Hex for each value is actually in REVERSE order. But I don't mean just backwards. You have to break up your number into 4 Hex digits. So 000001D6 NOW becomes 00 00 01 D6. From THERE, you reverse the order, making your final number D6 01 00 00.

Still following? Good! From this point on it's easy. Just search (Usually Ctrl+F in Hex Editors) for that final number you got (INCLUDING the zeroes), you'll usually only find one value that matches it, but in some rare cases you might find two or three more. If you want to make sure you found the right one, look at the text strings corresponding to the value you found (usually on the right hand side of the window). Your money value will ALWAYS be near the name of the last or previous character you played as.

Now that you've found the value, change it to whatever you want. The largest the game will recognize is 2,147,836,647 or 7FFFFFFF in Hex (BUT IF YOU PUT THIS IN, MAKE SURE TO REVERSE THE ORDER LIKE I SAID, MEANING FFFFFF7F).

Make your changes and save the file. Re-encrypt the file in Bruteforce and load your save to the PS3, and start up Rogue Legacy. If you followed everything here correctly, then Presto! You have god-awfully stupid amounts of money!

Using this, it makes the game WAY easier (plus makes it easy to get the Thanatophobia trophy). From there, you can just grind for almost every trophy, except for the five trophies for beating the Remix versions of bosses (as you have to use a pre-built character that can't be exploited), the trophy you get for using the class you unlock from beating said bosses on the final boss, and the Platinum as a result.

Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere near the twitch reflexes or skill to beat those bosses, so someone else will have to step up to the plate and deliver saves for those.
Last edited by fake333 ; 08-02-2014 at 03:04 PM.

The following 8 users say thank you to fake333 for this useful post:

alchemistx, BigTrain, ChateauLatour, Isaac Clarke, Loverside97, marolio, PC_, SecAnswer
08-03-2014, 03:38 PM #11
fake333
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by HUYI82 View Post
why don't you just post the hacked save file on here instead of telling people to hex edit it? unless a hacked save won't work with anyones game?

Look up about 5 topics from this one. I've done both.

This was more for people who wanted to do this trophy on their own save for whatever reason.
08-03-2014, 03:52 PM #12
Originally posted by fake333 View Post
Or "Why Game Genie will most likely never be able to do it for you"

If you're like me, you probably realized that Rogue Legacy is a game that becomes easy when you have tons of cash. Unfortunately, there's a number of reasons that programs like Game Genie will never be able to modify it for you. For one thing, Rogue Legacy's save data is constantly changing in size, meaning that values constantly move and making it impossible to narrow down a set location for a value. There's also a weird catch with Rogue Legacy's data that I'll explain in this guide.

So first off, here's what you'll need:

-Bruteforce (Any version, just make sure the database is up to date to include Rogue Legacy)
-A Hex Editing Program (I prefer to use HxD, because it's simple and easy for beginners)
-A PS3 version save for Rogue Legacy (Obviously)
-A USB Drive (Again, super obvious)

Before we go into ANY of the computer portions of this guide, you'll need to actually play Rogue Legacy. It's easiest to start a new file (but can be done with an in-progress one as well) and playthrough as far as you can with your first character. Collect AS MUCH money as you can before you die.

When you pick your next character, DO NOT BUY ANY UPGRADES. You'll want to have as much money as possible. Now keep track of the EXACT amount of money you have. Write it down, make a new notepad document, get a tattoo of it, whatever.

Now you'll want to pause and quit the game to the title screen, then quit to the PS3 XMB menu. Copy your save to the Flash Drive. Load the Flash Drive on your Computer.

Open Bruteforce (Make sure to run it as administrator or it might be a little wonky with Decryption) and decrypt your save file. Now open the "SAVEDAT0" file in your Hex Editor of choice. Again, I prefer HxD.

Now here's the tricky part: finding your money. Rogue Legacy's data has an interesting... gimmick to it. But we'll get to that in a bit. First things first, bring up that number for the money you had. For the sake of simplicity, I'll use 470 as an example. Get out your calculator and convert this to hex. So, 470 becomes 1D6. Now, in the data, money has 8 digits worth of data, so stick zeroes to the front of your current value. so 1D6 becomes 000001D6. You'll see why you do this in a moment.

Ordinarily, this is as much as you'd need to do to find a simple value in standard game data. But as I said before, Rogue Legacy is different. For reasons that are complicated and that I don't even completely understand (despite my whizkid brother's best explanations), the Hex for each value is actually in REVERSE order. But I don't mean just backwards. You have to break up your number into 4 Hex digits. So 000001D6 NOW becomes 00 00 01 D6. From THERE, you reverse the order, making your final number D6 01 00 00.

Still following? Good! From this point on it's easy. Just search (Usually Ctrl+F in Hex Editors) for that final number you got (INCLUDING the zeroes), you'll usually only find one value that matches it, but in some rare cases you might find two or three more. If you want to make sure you found the right one, look at the text strings corresponding to the value you found (usually on the right hand side of the window). Your money value will ALWAYS be near the name of the last or previous character you played as.

Now that you've found the value, change it to whatever you want. The largest the game will recognize is 2,147,836,647 or 7FFFFFFF in Hex (BUT IF YOU PUT THIS IN, MAKE SURE TO REVERSE THE ORDER LIKE I SAID, MEANING FFFFFF7F).

Make your changes and save the file. Re-encrypt the file in Bruteforce and load your save to the PS3, and start up Rogue Legacy. If you followed everything here correctly, then Presto! You have god-awfully stupid amounts of money!

Using this, it makes the game WAY easier (plus makes it easy to get the Thanatophobia trophy). From there, you can just grind for almost every trophy, except for the five trophies for beating the Remix versions of bosses (as you have to use a pre-built character that can't be exploited), the trophy you get for using the class you unlock from beating said bosses on the final boss, and the Platinum as a result.

Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere near the twitch reflexes or skill to beat those bosses, so someone else will have to step up to the plate and deliver saves for those.

This is true. Tested this out last week when the Rogue Legacy keys were found.
But a small technicality, the byte order of the Hex values are in "Intel" format, as opposed to "Reverse".
08-04-2014, 08:19 AM #13
alchemistx
Save Point
can you add this cheat to the bruteforce cheat database please
08-04-2014, 02:16 PM #14
fake333
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by alchemistx View Post
can you add this cheat to the bruteforce cheat database please

Unfortunately, the location of the money value is constantly moving because of how the save files are generated. It would probably not be possible for something like Bruteforce or Game Genie to make a cheat for this, as they wouldn't have an exact location to set a value.

A similar thing happened with Dishonored and a couple other games.
08-04-2014, 09:13 PM #15
i don't understand or something is wrong...

i tried so many times, even with new profile

example:
now i got 270 money in game in hex it's 10E
i try to search for 0E 01 but can't find the value, there is even no 00 00 value in the save

and yes using HxD..

something is wrong?

edit: another example..
now i got 190 money in game, in hex its "BE"
can't seem to find "BE 00"
Last edited by demario ; 08-04-2014 at 09:25 PM.
08-04-2014, 10:18 PM #16
Originally posted by demario View Post
i don't understand or something is wrong...

i tried so many times, even with new profile

example:
now i got 270 money in game in hex it's 10E
i try to search for 0E 01 but can't find the value, there is even no 00 00 value in the save

and yes using HxD..

something is wrong?

edit: another example..
now i got 190 money in game, in hex its "BE"
can't seem to find "BE 00"

You are searching for it correctly, you must have a different save or a different value. you can check this my pressing square in the main menu and seeing just how much gold you have before starting the game.
08-04-2014, 10:50 PM #17
it worked, thank you..

maybe my save was sync'ed from PS4..
what i did is.. i deleted my save file and started new profile on ps3.. worked fine,

thanks again.
08-05-2014, 03:35 PM #18
Gamer08
Can’t trickshot me!
Does this work with a EU savegame too? Has anybody test this?
08-05-2014, 03:44 PM #19
Hey, I'm having trouble decrypting the save file, i'd deleted both my PS3 and PS4 save files and started a new character on the PS3 got to a point where I had abit of money and hadn't bought anything but bruteforce won't give me the option to decrypt the save file. It will for other games, just not this save, am I doing something wrong? it also cross-saved when I started up the new character.

Also my save is EU.
Last edited by bahamut.stigma ; 08-05-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo