05-19-2011, 12:26 AM #1
TheBigRod
uh-may-zuh-zing
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); 3.61 Firmware Overheating PS3s?[/u]
Source: You must login or register to view this content. | By: Tristan | May 18th, 2011

On some older 60GB & 80GB Fat Models of the Playstation 3, users are complaining to the You must login or register to view this content. that their Playstation 3 is turning off while playing the new title L.A. Noire, after updating to the newly released 3.61 Firmware Sony has upgraded since the Playstation Network breach.

Originally posted by another user
RockStar: "Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat," reads the "answer" to the issue. "There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or 'Red Lighting' after having installed 3.61."

This isn't only happening with RockStar's L.A. Noire, however. Other games are starting to be reported to have the 'overheating process' come into action while in the middle of gameplay.

- The overheating process is where your screen freezes, turns black, then the green light on your Fat Playstation 3 turns red, meaning it shut itself off, or even turns all the way off, showing no lights at all.

RockStar recommends, if this be your case, you contact Sony about the overheating. This really isn't much help, even if they're testing L.A. Noire on different hardware models & firmware versions.

This being said, if you're playing L.A. Noire, you should be careful if you're on an older 60GB or 80GB fat model of the Playstation 3. Also, if this overheating does happen to you, I advise you call Sony that is stationed in your region immediately. Who knows? You might get a free PS3 if it's bad enough.

The following 2 users groaned at TheBigRod for this awful post:

Midnight.eGo, xSOADx
05-19-2011, 12:53 AM #2
Meeky
Dark Knight
Firmware Can't overhate a Ps3.
05-19-2011, 01:01 AM #3
IL--U--IK--IE
At least I can fight
I'm curious to know how a firmware can overheat a console. /facepalm
05-19-2011, 01:15 AM #4
TheBigRod
uh-may-zuh-zing
Originally posted by xOnlyMeBlade View Post
Firmware Can't overhate a Ps3.

Originally posted by IE View Post
I'm curious to know how a firmware can overheat a console. /facepalm

I'm just the messenger, don't ask me. xD
05-19-2011, 01:16 AM #5
gusbus20
Gym leader
umm isnt the firmware what controls all the different things in the ps3?
05-19-2011, 01:17 AM #6
Meeky
Dark Knight
Originally posted by gusbus20 View Post
umm isnt the firmware what controls all the different things in the ps3?

A firmware is like a pacth.Smile
05-19-2011, 01:18 AM #7
Ritztro
I am a Game Developer
Well in the firmware certain functions can be a bit more cpu extensive which will cause an overheat of the system. Trust me I have tried some stuff with my own programs and my computer's temperature has definitely risen. The reason you need cooling fans on gaming computers is because some functions overuse the cpu's limits. This could be what the firmware is doing.

The following 6 users say thank you to Ritztro for this useful post:

AMNE, gusbus20, itsinitial, Ix Benere xI, Joshhyyy-, Kiodte
05-19-2011, 01:19 AM #8
They retracted that statement as Xbox 360 is starting to have issues as well.

Also the firmware can't overheat the PS3 as the fan system is hardware controlled so if the CPU or GPU is getting hot, the fan will increase and push more heat out regardless of game or firmware.

Unless LA Noire has managed to disable the fan or something :/

The following user thanked Awayze for this useful post:

riotmost
05-19-2011, 01:19 AM #9
Ritztro
I am a Game Developer
Originally posted by xOnlyMeBlade View Post
A firmware is like a pacth.Smile

No the firmware is more like an OS. It hides the user from all the hardware and lower level stuff so that they can enjoy the system.

The following user thanked Ritztro for this useful post:

gusbus20
05-19-2011, 01:20 AM #10
gusbus20
Gym leader
Originally posted by Dutch View Post
Well in the firmware certain functions can be a bit more cpu extensive which will cause an overheat of the system. Trust me I have tried some stuff with my own programs and my computer's temperature has definitely risen. The reason you need cooling fans on gaming computers is because some functions overuse the cpu's limits. This could be what the firmware is doing.

yea thats what i figured

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo