01-03-2019, 01:20 AM #1
Japarican89
Climbing up the ladder
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); After reading this news that hit Japan at the moment, I was wondering if my main account is Japanese but I'm living in America would I still have the opportunity to actually utilize save editing for PlayStation 4? I apologize if this post is in the wrong section I am currently using the mobile application and I couldn't really navigate well. https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/01/02/console-modding-illegal-japan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
01-03-2019, 05:14 AM #2
Wosley
Discord: Wosley#6447
Originally posted by Japarican89 View Post
After reading this news that hit Japan at the moment, I was wondering if my main account is Japanese but I'm living in America would I still have the opportunity to actually utilize save editing for PlayStation 4? I apologize if this post is in the wrong section I am currently using the mobile application and I couldn't really navigate well. https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/01/02/console-modding-illegal-japan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Game Save Modding always been illegal not for the law but it breaks Playstation's rules and tos

The following user thanked Wosley for this useful post:

aeneax
01-07-2019, 03:13 PM #3
aeneax
Nothing To See Here
This doesn't directly address your question but "illegal" is thrown around so much in contexts like these that it causes undue fear so I want to clarify a bit if you can bear with me.

At least in common law countries like the US and UK and in most other countries I'm aware of, there's a major difference between illegal on one hand, and on the other hand, breaking an agreement with someone, whether that "someone" is a company like Sony or a person, like a landlord.

It is illegal to steal, and you can go to jail for it, be fined for it, get community service for it, and it will be on an official record of your criminal misconduct although that record goes by different names depending on where you live.

It is not illegal to break an agreement with someone. It is instead a contractual violation. In this case, as Wosley pointed out, it breaks the Terms of Service, or maybe the End User Licence Agreement, or wherever this is spelled out (I'm not sure exactly where and when Sony has put this, especially since terms keep changing). With a contractual violation, if Sony really badly wanted to throw away tens of thousands of dollars (minimum) on lawyers just to go after you, Japarican89, and that seems really unlikely, Sony technically could get, maybe at most, a declaration from a court saying you should not be doing what you're doing. I could go into the reasons why it would be extremely doubtful Sony could do more getting a court to say "knock it off," or would even want to try because of the extreme cost to them in doing so, but it would take a lot of legalese and be too long. So Sony's not doing anything in court about this. But again, I know you asked about JP accounts and I'm unaware of the situation there -- Just clarifying what illegal does and does not mean.

And at least in the US, and again, in most other countries I'm aware of, no government has the right to enforce a contract between 2 parties. So if, say, in the US, the Department of Justice, or an arm of a state or local government, thought this was bad behavior and wanted to do something about it, they would be legally prohibited from doing a single thing. You could go up to the US Attorney General today and say "guess what? I'm modding save files in direct violation of my agreement with Sony" and he wouldn't be able to do jack except probably give you a really evil grimace. The only exception to this would be if it were a matter of national security, and even that's really rare. For instance, in WWII, when defense factory workers making bullets and other vital supplies for troops during wartime were thinking of going out on strike, there was an argument that THEN might be an appropriate time for the government to enforce the labor contracts between the workers and their employers (the factories). I can't remember what the courts decided, but you get the point: It ain't happening with save modification.

So there's illegal, and there's Sony-might-care. This is just Sony-might-care. Sorry I don't know more about your specific question.

The following user thanked aeneax for this useful post:

Darth Saul
01-09-2019, 10:34 AM #4
Cyber discontinued their editor.
02-19-2019, 07:38 AM #5
Has any the Cyber-Gadget cheat Codes for Sword Art Online:Hollow Realization[EU]?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo