Post: CTurt has allegedly jailbroken on the Playstation 4
12-12-2015, 08:46 PM #1
Specter
Pro Memer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Update:

Please refer to You must login or register to view this content. for more on this subject

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In advance, thanks to Red-EyeX32 for pointing this out in a Skype conversation. I'd also like to clarify that since PS4 was built off FreeBSD, the sandboxes are called "jails", so jailbreaking is the correct term.

At about 9:28AM EST, CTurt has claimed that he has managed to break the webkit process out of a FreeBSD "jail" (or sandbox). For those who don't know, jailbreaking was coined as you were "breaking out of a jail" or sandbox that an application is in, as if an application is sandboxed and you gain remote code execution, the damage is contained within that jail (very similar to sandboxie which is used here to check programs for Remote Access Trojans).

Now this hasn't been confirmed however CTurt is a known, trusted source of information and has already released some tools such as the PS4 Playground Tools and his open source PS4 SDK. He's also stated within the last hour or so that he has managed to dump RAM from process such as "SceShellUI". This is a huge step forward towards the possibility of custom firmware for the Playstation 4. Below are snapshots of the tweets of his announcement of the You must login or register to view this content. as well as the You must login or register to view this content..

You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.

Now there's still much to be done, including lots of reversing and other exploring to do, however as I've said it's a big step. This only works on firmwares 1.76 or lower, but that doesn't mean indefinitely that there won't be more exploits in the coming future for higher firmwares.
Last edited by Frosty ; 02-16-2016 at 09:31 PM.

The following 56 users say thank you to Specter for this useful post:

Jiggy, /SneakerStreet/, 1291-_-MoDz, 2much4u, AlexNGU, amjed, Andyiglesias1, Basic_Code, Red-EyeX32, Chop, chuck54321, Dan Dactyl, DawidB, dawoodk786, Devious, DexTeamFTW, DMAAR-7777, DPO23, EncepT, Frosty, Grezinn, H-A-X-O, Tears, Helping-Hand, InfinityPlanets, Jimmy, Johan0131, Kam, kareltjie, Kryptus, LaughTracks, LostSoulSiskel, Meega HD, Monster-Energy, NickBeHaxing, Not Rage, Darth Saul, .EXE, Adrian, RF0oDxM0Dz, Kronos, Jon Snow, TEXAS24_ReStEr, upgradetoday, vicious_results, Vondy Supreme, wajdi9, xDebugKiller, XM7MD_VX, Xx-GIPPI-xX, XxBlud23xX, xXx-.-Moder, zAutoAiiM_
03-04-2016, 06:43 PM #92
XxBAE_cHiCkEnNot Happy or SadMoDz-xx reporting in! is this a jailbroken?????????????????????????????????DrackDrack
Last edited by KappaRossbob123 ; 03-04-2016 at 06:46 PM.
03-04-2016, 11:31 PM #93
Originally posted by KappaRossbob123 View Post
XxBAE_cHiCkEnNot Happy or SadMoDz-xx reporting in! is this a jailbroken?????????????????????????????????DrackDrack

No. ..
03-05-2016, 12:14 AM #94
Originally posted by Frosty View Post
I believe that save resigning would come first, if nothing else. Perhaps there will be an exploit like with the PS3 backup on 4.65 and lower where we can dump certain files from the PS4. (So I can retrieve my PS4 trophy folders Winky Winky ) If PS4 save resigner was released to certain, private people, they could make a good amount of money off it with trophy shops.

That's going to be my priority Winky Winky

The following 2 users say thank you to Red-EyeX32 for this useful post:

eazynow82, sirjakey
04-02-2016, 07:03 PM #95
GuzModz
Climbing up the ladder
nobody is able to jailbreak ps3 superslim yet and now thinking or even trying jailbreak ps4?...is this Dreaming?or Trolling? Choco
04-02-2016, 08:59 PM #96
Originally posted by GuzModz View Post
nobody is able to jailbreak ps3 superslim yet and now thinking or even trying jailbreak ps4?...is this Dreaming?or Trolling? Choco

because of PS4s operating system, there are quite a number of exploits, i heard that there are exploits even on the latest firmware but not released publicly.

PS3s latest firmware is more secure than ps4 because ps3 had years(over 5 years) to patch up exploits with every update.

While PS4, it didnt release that long ago, they havent patched all the exploits in the os.

so basically, ps3 had more years to fix thier exploits and they've gotten to a stage where its really hard, while the PS4, theres still many undiscovered exploits(atleast i think)
Last edited by TheOneAndOnly22 ; 04-03-2016 at 12:51 AM.
04-02-2016, 11:11 PM #97
Originally posted by TheOneAndOnly22 View Post
mate, PS3 and PS4 run different OS.
because of PS4s operating system, there are quite a number of exploits, i heard that there are exploits even on the latest firmware but not released publicly.

PS3s latest firmware is more secure than ps4 because ps3 had years(over 5 years) to patch up exploits with every update.

While PS4, it didnt release that long ago, they havent patched all the exploits in the os.

so basically, ps3 had more years to fix thier exploits and they've gotten to a stage where its really hard, while the PS4, theres still many undiscovered exploits(atleast i think)

Both systems run on FreeBSD.
04-03-2016, 12:18 AM #98
jqq
Hurah!
Originally posted by GuzModz View Post
I know right? Would be cool for the PS3 super slim to get jailbroken , but I guess not?! Sal
04-03-2016, 12:50 AM #99
i knew PS4 runs freebsd but didnt know PS3 runs freebsd, well i was wrong.

anyway what i was trying to say is that ps3 is that the lastest ps3 fimware is hard to crack due to ps3 having lots of security updates and patches over time Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo