Post: Will the PS4 be lead system and receive primary support from third parties?
08-14-2013, 01:18 AM #1
rls1321
Pokemon Trainer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); When the current generation of systems began, Microsoft was on the market unchallenged for a full year (or a year and a half if your in Europe). And because of that, many third parties became accustomed to the xbox 360 long before the Playstation 3 even hit the market. The result of that was that many third parties used the xbox 360 as the lead platform for their games. This meant that the Playstation 3 versions of games weren't given proper and optimal support as a result. Now, eventually, third parties began to adjust and learn the Playstation 3 architecture. Some even made it the lead for games. Now, there is parity between the games with almost non existent differences (if any at all). But regardless, this gave the Playstation 3 a negative stigma

You must login or register to view this content.

However, The Playstation 4 will come out extremely close to the Xbox One, maybe even before it. Which means now, one of the biggest advantages Microsoft had is now gone. This was one of the biggest reasons that developers garnished a comfort zone with the with the competition that they hadn't with the Playstation 3 until much later. The system also has a more personal computer like infrastructure now as well. This gives reason to believe that developers will become comfortable with the Playstation 4 rather quickly regardless of their skill level.

A secondary reason that possibly shows that the Playstation 4 will get well-deserved proper support from multiplatform games is in the sales numbers. When we look at the pre order sales numbers on a global scale, The Playstation 4 is outselling the Xbox One heavily. Even in Microsoft's home base of America, the Playstation 4 has a very noticable lead in terms of pre order sales. If third party developers are giving attention to these numbers, then it's extremely likely that they'll make a point to give the Playstation 4 much more notice early on compared to how they did so much later for the Playstation 3.

Lastly, there's pricing. The Xbox 360 even to this day can be found at $50 cheaper at the lowest tier SKU in contrast to the PS3. Which means for the duration of the current generation, the PS3 was the one at the price disadvantage. Eventually, the Playstation 3 did outsell the Xbox 360 worldwide, but it took almost the entire generation to do it. However, thus far with both the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One prices revealed, the Playstation 4 is the one with the price advantage as things stand. So we have a machine that on paper is more powerful and at the same time cheaper than the direct competitor. And for many people, pricing means all the difference in the world.

Now that Sony has fixed some of their biggest issues of the Playstation 3 era in timing, sales, and pricing, will this make third party developers give lead preference to the Playstation 4?

The following 10 users say thank you to rls1321 for this useful post:

.James, Mythusala, Isaac Clarke, iWONDERif, juelz2013, Jango, AFG, Scullzyy, Swifter, Xcesar1911X
08-14-2013, 01:34 AM #2
Jango
I love my kitteh
tltr, but I thanked the post because I like the ps4 tank :y:

The following 3 users say thank you to Jango for this useful post:

Mezzid, AFG, Scullzyy
08-14-2013, 02:09 AM #3
Nice post. But I like the tank as well Happy
08-15-2013, 11:50 AM #4
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
If most games sell on the PS4 vs Xbox yep.
Bigger install base , release date won't have much of an impact more that software sales.
08-15-2013, 02:27 PM #5
CyberNomadic
Web Developer
It seems that third parties are going to be paying attention to the PS4.
08-15-2013, 06:21 PM #6
.James
Who’s Jim Erased?
I really hope they do, Jack Tretton said in an interview that publishers are telling them it's more powerful than the Xbox One, also the PS4 is now far easier to develop for so hopefully third parties will give them the most support.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo