03-29-2011, 12:48 AM #1
The Open Minded
☮✌Peace Maker✌☮
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey mates. Well I found a Linux distribution called NimbleX Linux. I like how it looks and at a tiny size of only 200MB I can carry it on a usb drive to boot it almost anywhere.

My problem is that Pendrive Linux, the program I use to create a bootable usb using a Linux ISO, will not support NimbleX. I have tried finding out how to use an alternative method to mount the ISO to the pendrive, but haven't found anything that looks any good.

If you know a way that I could mount my NimbleX ISO to my pendrive then please let me know mates!

May donate a good amount of VBux for the answer that solves my problem.
03-29-2011, 03:37 AM #2
The Open Minded
☮✌Peace Maker✌☮
Bump. Really no one can give me some tips?
03-29-2011, 12:03 PM #3
<Jimbo>
</Jimbo>
I don't recomens that OS, but... Here you go...

How to create a persistent Nimblex bootable USB flash drive successfully - Tutorial #1 (Using Syslinux)

The tutorial is for the people who get various Grub errors when using the built-in Nimblex USB installer. It might look lengthy but it takes only a couple of minutes for the whole thing.

Features:-
1) Doesn't use built-in Nimblex USB installer
2) Persistent changes enabled
3) Doesn't require the creation of nimblex.data for persistent changes
4) Uses Syslinux as the bootloader

Requirements:-
1) Windows OS
2) Nimblex iso
3) syslinux - Download it from You must login or register to view this content.
4) Winrar or 7-zip
5) HP USB Format Utility - You must login or register to view this content.

Steps:-
1) Format the USB Flash drive using "HP USB Format Utility" as FAT
2) Extract the contents of Nimblex iso to the Flash drive using 7-zip or Winrar
3) Rename "initrd-nx08.gz" to "initrd.gz" and "vmlinuz-nx08" to "vmlinuz" inside the "boot" folder. (you can also delete the "grub" folder - its not needed anymore)
5) Create a folder named "syslinux" anywhere in your PC and extract the downloaded "syslinux-3.63.zip" to it.
6) Open command prompt/DOS and navigate to "win32" folder in "syslinux" and type

syslinux -fma X:

and press Enter
("X" is the drive label of your USB flash drive) BE VERY VERY CAREFUL TO REPLACE "X" WITH THE CORRECT DRIVE LABEL OF YOUR USB FLASH DRIVE!!
7) Copy & paste "vesamenu.c32" from "syslinux\com32\menu" to your USB flash drive (not inside any folder).
8.) Copy the code below in notepad and save the file as "syslinux.cfg" to your USB flash drive (not inside any folder).

Thats it! You will boot into Nimblex with your USB flash drive.

TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT vesamenu.c32

LABEL NimbleX 2008 - Boot in KDM
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw vga=791 splash=silent quiet changes=/nimblex autoexec=xconf;kdm

LABEL NimbleX 2008 - Boot in KDE
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw vga=791 splash=silent quiet changes=/nimblex autoexec=startx

LABEL NimbleX 2008 - Boot in CLI
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw

LABEL NimbleX 2008 - Boot in RAM
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet vga=791 splash toram changes=/nimblex autoexec=startx

LABEL NimbleX 2008 - Safe Install
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw safeinst vga=791 splash=silent quiet autoexec=xconf;kdm

LABEL Boot from the HDD
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Hope this helps! :y: =D

Originally posted by xPEACExMAKERx View Post
Hey mates. Well I found a Linux distribution called NimbleX Linux. I like how it looks and at a tiny size of only 200MB I can carry it on a usb drive to boot it almost anywhere.

My problem is that Pendrive Linux, the program I use to create a bootable usb using a Linux ISO, will not support NimbleX. I have tried finding out how to use an alternative method to mount the ISO to the pendrive, but haven't found anything that looks any good.

If you know a way that I could mount my NimbleX ISO to my pendrive then please let me know mates!

May donate a good amount of VBux for the answer that solves my problem.

The following user thanked <Jimbo> for this useful post:

The Open Minded
03-29-2011, 02:17 PM #4
The Open Minded
☮✌Peace Maker✌☮
Originally posted by 123tonka View Post

How to create a persistent Nimblex bootable USB flash drive successfully - Tutorial #1 (Using Syslinux)

The tutorial is for the people who get various Grub errors when using the built-in Nimblex USB installer. It might look lengthy but it takes only a couple of minutes for the whole thing.

1) Windows OS
2) Nimblex iso
4) Winrar or 7-zip

3) Rename "initrd-nx08.gz" to "initrd.gz" and "vmlinuz-nx08" to "vmlinuz" inside the "boot" folder. (you can also delete the "grub" folder - its not needed anymore)
5) Create a folder named "syslinux" anywhere in your PC and extract the downloaded "syslinux-3.63.zip" to it.
6) Open command prompt/DOS and navigate to "win32" folder in "syslinux" and type

syslinux -fma X:

and press Enter
("X" is the drive label of your USB flash drive) BE VERY VERY CAREFUL TO REPLACE "X" WITH THE CORRECT DRIVE LABEL OF YOUR USB FLASH DRIVE!!
7) Copy & paste "vesamenu.c32" from "syslinux\com32\menu" to your USB flash drive (not inside any folder).
8.) Copy the code below in notepad and save the file as "syslinux.cfg" to your USB flash drive (not inside any folder).

TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT vesamenu.c32

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw vga=791 splash=silent quiet changes=/nimblex autoexec=xconf;kdm

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw vga=791 splash=silent quiet changes=/nimblex autoexec=startx

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet vga=791 splash toram changes=/nimblex autoexec=startx

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=7120 root=/dev/ram0 rw safeinst vga=791 splash=silent quiet autoexec=xconf;kdm

LABEL Boot from the HDD
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Thanks for this man. I'll be trying it out soon.

Just a quick quesion. Can you reccomend a good Linux distrobution that will fit on and run off of a 512 MB pen drive? Just not sure why you "don't recomens that OS"
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM #5
Cody_h4x
Nobody is like me
Very well explained couldnt say it better myself but yea that will work Happy
03-30-2011, 06:11 PM #6
The Open Minded
☮✌Peace Maker✌☮

1) Windows OS
2) Nimblex iso
4) Winrar or 7-zip

syslinux -fma X:

and press Enter

TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT vesamenu.c32

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz

LABEL Boot from the HDD
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

The download link for the syslinux is down. Can you please link me to a working one.

If this works I'll donate at least 25,000 vBux.
03-30-2011, 06:15 PM #7
<Jimbo>
</Jimbo>
Here you go! Smile
You must login or register to view this content. Direct link! And free of course! =D

Originally posted by The
The download link for the syslinux is down. Can you please link me to a working one.

If this works I'll donate at least 25,000 vBux.

The following user thanked <Jimbo> for this useful post:

The Open Minded
03-30-2011, 07:10 PM #8
The Open Minded
☮✌Peace Maker✌☮
Here you go! Smile
You must login or register to view this content. Direct link! And free of course! =D

Ok I'm going to test all of this out now. :y: I will let you know how it goes.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Here you go! Smile

Well I'm finished and have not encountered any errors. I haven't actually booted it yet to check it but I donated since your answer was good. :y:

I'll donate more if I boot it up and all works well.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo