Post: Please Help. Windows won't start... want to backup files on HDD.
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM #1
lilnatsfan44
At least I can fight
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Whenever Windows tries to boot it gives me a blue error screen every time, even if I try Safe Mode or any other mode.

Now here's what I'm asking. Do you guys think I could boot a form of linux from a CD or USB and then transfer the files on my harddrive to a USB drive?
05-04-2011, 07:36 PM #2
andge12
Gym leader
I've heard people use Knoppix? But it might wipe your PC. Google around for it.
05-04-2011, 07:46 PM #3
lilnatsfan44
At least I can fight
I'll give it a try.

From WikiPedia: Usage - Knoppix can be used to copy files easily from hard drives with inaccessible operating systems. To quickly and more safely use Linux software, the Live CD can be used instead of installing another OS.
05-04-2011, 07:46 PM #4
Masta Of Evil
Feeling Evil?
Originally posted by lilnatsfan44 View Post
Whenever Windows tries to boot it gives me a blue error screen every time, even if I try Safe Mode or any other mode.

Now here's what I'm asking. Do you guys think I could boot a form of linux from a CD or USB and then transfer the files on my harddrive to a USB drive?

You could probably use ubuntu, but idk if it can read/write ntfs? worth a try.

EDIT: you could use this You must login or register to view this content. as it lets you read write ntfs in ubuntu.
05-04-2011, 07:55 PM #5
FlutterShy
Big Daddy
The same thing happened to me I lost over 2000 songs and 3 amazing Minecraft worlds XD. Hope you get your stuff =D
05-05-2011, 01:00 AM #6
lilnatsfan44
At least I can fight
Just did a system restore by using the windows recovery option and chose the oldest restore point. computer is fine now

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo