09-21-2011, 04:51 AM #1
gavros7
Treasure hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); hey guys,

today i started to download a star wars 200gb rip and i got a windows error which said something about exceeding my storage...now, when i go to my incomplete torrents folder i see the folder is over 350gb in size, i cant understand why the folder is so big when i havent actually started the majority of my downloads (i only have 3 in line). Im finding this to be a big problem and i was wondering if there is any way to fix it and get my storage back

appreciate any help
09-21-2011, 10:36 AM #2
Chrom3D
Big Sister
Originally posted by petridis26 View Post
hey guys,

today i started to download a star wars 200gb rip and i got a windows error which said something about exceeding my storage...now, when i go to my incomplete torrents folder i see the folder is over 350gb in size, i cant understand why the folder is so big when i havent actually started the majority of my downloads (i only have 3 in line). Im finding this to be a big problem and i was wondering if there is any way to fix it and get my storage back

appreciate any help

Star Wars? The saga? Is it that big?

Anyways, How big is your HDD, and the torrents should only be like a few kb's, so they have to be download. .torrent, isn't that big...
09-21-2011, 10:43 AM #3
gavros7
Treasure hunter
Originally posted by Chrom3D View Post
Star Wars? The saga? Is it that big?

Anyways, How big is your HDD, and the torrents should only be like a few kb's, so they have to be download. .torrent, isn't that big...

yeh the complete saga (its actually 246gb lol)...but yeh, when i mean the incomplete torrent i dont mean the .torrent file, but the file that is being is currently being downloaded. it seems that even if i do say 1% of a 10gb file in bit torrent my laptop says that the file is 10gb, even though it has not been 100% downloaded...any thoughts to why windows does this? oh and my hdd is 576gb

thanks for replying
09-21-2011, 10:57 AM #4
Chrom3D
Big Sister
yeh the complete saga (its actually 246gb lol)...but yeh, when i mean the incomplete torrent i dont mean the .torrent file, but the file that is being is currently being downloaded. it seems that even if i do say 1% of a 10gb file in bit torrent my laptop says that the file is 10gb, even though it has not been 100% downloaded...any thoughts to why windows does this? oh and my hdd is 576gb

thanks for replying

Hmm, probably something with your windows recognizing your files x10 times the real size...

Does this only happen with torrents or regular downloads?
09-21-2011, 11:05 AM #5
gola
OVER 9000!
hey guys,

appreciate any help

As soon as you've first started downloading something via torrents it creates the file as the size it will be at the end and then it actually downloads the proper data and puts it into the file while its downloading, it does this to help with DHT (and more than likely less use of the HDD)
09-21-2011, 11:18 AM #6
gavros7
Treasure hunter
Originally posted by Chrom3D View Post
Hmm, probably something with your windows recognizing your files x10 times the real size...

Does this only happen with torrents or regular downloads?

just torrents

Originally posted by Golagoda View Post
As soon as you've first started downloading something via torrents it creates the file as the size it will be at the end and then it actually downloads the proper data and puts it into the file while its downloading, it does this to help with DHT (and more than likely less use of the HDD)

hhmm...i can see that it can be beneficial...but if i was to continue downloading (ignoring the fact that my pc says that i have little space left) will i lose data if i "fill" up my hdd (even though i know there really is space)? (sorry if that is a noob question)
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM #7
gola
OVER 9000!
just torrents

hhmm...i can see that it can be beneficial...but if i was to continue downloading (ignoring the fact that my pc says that i have little space left) will i lose data if i "fill" up my hdd (even though i know there really is space)? (sorry if that is a noob question)

I don't know exactly what you meant by that but it will probably depend on how much space you have left, how much do you have?

Torrenting keeps a small cache of the files when its being added to the proper file but that's pretty small so unless you add a bunch more torrents or download heaps of things it probably won't matter.
09-21-2011, 11:46 AM #8
gavros7
Treasure hunter
Originally posted by Golagoda View Post
I don't know exactly what you meant by that but it will probably depend on how much space you have left, how much do you have?

Torrenting keeps a small cache of the files when its being added to the proper file but that's pretty small so unless you add a bunch more torrents or download heaps of things it probably won't matter.

ill try to explain it in a better way....so currently i have freed up some space and my hdd has 100gb free...in my torrent queue i have 14 torrents, 3 are currently downloading, and all up i think i have downloaded about 20gbs worth of data (from that queue). now, when i go to the folder which has the torrents which are incomplete, it says that the folders size is 300gb....so basically i wanted to know if there will be any problems if i use up the space my pc says i have (100gb) even though i know there really is more space available (which is taken up by the incomplete torrents) sorry if it seems complicated, but can u kind of understand what im trying to ask

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo