01-07-2012, 10:15 PM #1
arsn14
You talkin to me?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); So just wanted to get an opinion of the people of the forum about computer programming, Where should I start? I meant which language should start with first and then where should I head to next?

Just trying to get a feel for what would be a great foundation to build upon.
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM #2
USAB
Are you high?
You must login or register to view this content.

The following user thanked USAB for this useful post:

arsn14
01-07-2012, 10:46 PM #3
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Originally posted by arsn14 View Post
So just wanted to get an opinion of the people of the forum about computer programming, Where should I start? I meant which language should start with first and then where should I head to next?

It doesn't really matter where you start, only that you get started, and continue after starting.

On that note, if you're young, choose something that you want to program. Just as an example, if you want to create a website, perhaps look into HTML and CSS (it shouldn't take too long to "get it") and then look into a language with some real programming constructs, like JavaScript. On the other hand, if you're young and are interested in game development, a game development specific language might help (such as Blitz Basic or DarkBASIC).

If you're older and up for the challenge, there's plenty of free, online computer science or programming courses available. A lot of prestigious universities offer "open courseware" (free, online classes) that pertain to computer science.

As far as choosing a first language, it really doesn't matter, you'll be fine with any language, and you can always learn more (I'd say that most programmers would be fairly skilled in at least 5+ programming languages). However, since you're new to programming, a language that's a little more readable might be beneficial, something like Visual Basic .NET, Python, or Ruby (I'd recommend Python) might be best for you.

The following 2 users say thank you to Epic? for this useful post:

arsn14, Rip The Jacker
01-07-2012, 11:57 PM #4
Chrom3D
Big Sister
So just wanted to get an opinion of the people of the forum about computer programming, Where should I start? I meant which language should start with first and then where should I head to next?

Im learning C#. Not far in the progress, but Im taking some break to make it more fun. I would say it's a good and quite powerful language to start with. Afterwards Im going for java or C++. Both of them when time comes.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Originally posted by Epic
It doesn't really matter where you start, only that you get started, and continue after starting.

On that note, if you're young, choose something that you want to program. Just as an example, if you want to create a website, perhaps look into HTML and CSS (it shouldn't take too long to "get it") and then look into a language with some real programming constructs, like JavaScript. On the other hand, if you're young and are interested in game development, a game development specific language might help (such as Blitz Basic or DarkBASIC).

If you're older and up for the challenge, there's plenty of free, online computer science or programming courses available. A lot of prestigious universities offer "open courseware" (free, online classes) that pertain to computer science.

As far as choosing a first language, it really doesn't matter, you'll be fine with any language, and you can always learn more (I'd say that most programmers would be fairly skilled in at least 5+ programming languages). However, since you're new to programming, a language that's a little more readable might be beneficial, something like Visual Basic .NET, Python, or Ruby (I'd recommend Python) might be best for you.

HTML is a markup language, not a programming language. :carling: Good you said "and then look into a language with some real programming constructs" Winky Winky
Last edited by Chrom3D ; 01-07-2012 at 11:59 PM.

The following user thanked Chrom3D for this useful post:

arsn14
01-08-2012, 12:26 AM #5
tokzikate
Gym leader
Python is a great place to start, for Object Oriented Programming(OOP).
Python's syntax is also quite easy to get used to, as it is quite a high-level language(meaning that if you can understand english, you can understand python.)

After python, you will probably realise that you want to write programs with a GUI, not just command line programs.
So the next language you should learn should be C#, or Visual basic, though I recommend C#.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: you can write gui programs in python, although it is far more difficult than writing programs with gui's in C#/Visual Basic ---
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following user thanked tokzikate for this useful post:

arsn14
01-08-2012, 12:53 AM #6
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Originally posted by tokzikate View Post
Python is a great place to start, for Object Oriented Programming(OOP).
Python's syntax is also quite easy to get used to, as it is quite a high-level language(meaning that if you can understand english, you can understand python.)

After python, you will probably realise that you want to write programs with a GUI, not just command line programs.
So the next language you should learn should be C#, or Visual basic, though I recommend C#.

Edit: you can write gui programs in python, although it is far more difficult than writing programs with gui's in C#/Visual Basic ---

How is it more difficult to write GUI programs in Python?

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Originally posted by Chrom3D View Post
Im learning C#. Not far in the progress, but Im taking some break to make it more fun. I would say it's a good and quite powerful language to start with. Afterwards Im going for java or C++. Both of them when time comes.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

HTML is a markup language, not a programming language. :carling: Good you said "and then look into a language with some real programming constructs" Winky Winky

I'm well aware HTML is a markup language, but the statement I made was prefaced by "if you're young". The goal isn't necessarily to teach a six year old to become a programming master, but simply to interest him/her in programming. I'd say that HTML is a good way to do that, as it leads fluidly into other skills in other languages. Now, I'm not saying that the OP is only six, I'm just saying that if he was young, HTML is a good, simple way to get interested and build something actually interesting.

The following 2 users say thank you to Epic? for this useful post:

arsn14, Chrom3D
01-08-2012, 12:57 AM #7
tokzikate
Gym leader
Visual Basic and C#, were pretty much made, to be used to create GUI programs, as you can just drag and drop controls and forms.
Python, on the other hand, doesn't have any default modules, to allow drag and drop GUI creating, although, I have heard of a Third-Party module called "Qt", that has drag and drop support for creating GUI's in python.
To sum it all up: Python was developed to be a CLI(command line interface) language, whereas Visual Basic and C# were not.

~tokzikate

Last edited by tokzikate ; 01-08-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Epic?
01-08-2012, 01:03 AM #8
Chrom3D
Big Sister

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I'm well aware HTML is a markup language, but the statement I made was prefaced by "if you're young". The goal isn't necessarily to teach a six year old to become a programming master, but simply to interest him/her in programming. I'd say that HTML is a good way to do that, as it leads fluidly into other skills in other languages. Now, I'm not saying that the OP is only six, I'm just saying that if he was young, HTML is a good, simple way to get interested and build something actually interesting.

Personally I wouldn't advice anyone to start with HTML, but I see where your going Winky Winky and I like the idea. People are different.

HTML could be good as the OP may accomplish stuff fast. In other words he may get the picture of the opportunities you get within programming. Winky Winky

The following user thanked Chrom3D for this useful post:

Epic?
01-08-2012, 02:28 AM #9
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Originally posted by tokzikate View Post
Visual Basic and C#, were pretty much made, to be used to create GUI programs, as you can just drag and drop controls and forms.
Python, on the other hand, doesn't have any default modules, to allow drag and drop GUI creating, although, I have heard of a Third-Party module called "Qt", that has drag and drop support for creating GUI's in python.
To sum it all up: Python was developed to be a CLI(command line interface) language, whereas Visual Basic and C# were not.

~tokzikate

Alright, I get where you're coming for, but let me just clear some stuff up.

Neither Visual Basic nor C# were designed to create GUI programs, and the ability to drag-and-drop controls is not a construct of either language. Windows Forms is an API included as part of the .NET framework (which both Visual Basic .NET, C# .NET, and any other ".NET" languages run on). This is not necessarily a construct of Visual Basic or C#, rather a part of .NET (though since C# and the modern implementation of Visual Basic run on .NET, you could say it is a default module). The drag-and-drop interface is part of Visual Studio, which generates code as you drag-and-drop (code that makes use of WinForms, and code you can write yourself should you choose).

Frameworks like Qt or GTK (You must login or register to view this content.) are comparable to WinForms, except in some basic, underlying functionality (as I believe WinForms actually wraps around the Windows API). There's also plenty of drag-and-drop GUI builders for Python (You must login or register to view this content.).

That being said, WinForms (and WPF, especially WPF) are as good or better than Python GUI frameworks and the Visual Studio forms designer is significantly better than most GUI builders for Python.

tl;dr - Python is equally adept at the creation of GUIs as C# or Visual Basic. The WinForms framework is comparable to any of the many GUI frameworks that Python can make use of. The drag-and-drop interface is a feature of Visual Studio, and there are many comparable GUI builders for Python.
Last edited by Epic? ; 01-08-2012 at 02:32 AM.

The following user thanked Epic? for this useful post:

tokzikate
01-08-2012, 03:02 AM #10
tokzikate
Gym leader
Thanks for that, I actually learnt quite a bit! Smile
I understand what you mean now, and I can see that you were right :p

~tokzikate

Alright, I get where you're coming for, but let me just clear some stuff up.

Neither Visual Basic nor C# were designed to create GUI programs, and the ability to drag-and-drop controls is not a construct of either language. Windows Forms is an API included as part of the .NET framework (which both Visual Basic .NET, C# .NET, and any other ".NET" languages run on). This is not necessarily a construct of Visual Basic or C#, rather a part of .NET (though since C# and the modern implementation of Visual Basic run on .NET, you could say it is a default module). The drag-and-drop interface is part of Visual Studio, which generates code as you drag-and-drop (code that makes use of WinForms, and code you can write yourself should you choose).

Frameworks like Qt or GTK (You must login or register to view this content.) are comparable to WinForms, except in some basic, underlying functionality (as I believe WinForms actually wraps around the Windows API). There's also plenty of drag-and-drop GUI builders for Python (You must login or register to view this content.).

That being said, WinForms (and WPF, especially WPF) are as good or better than Python GUI frameworks and the Visual Studio forms designer is significantly better than most GUI builders for Python.

tl;dr - Python is equally adept at the creation of GUIs as C# or Visual Basic. The WinForms framework is comparable to any of the many GUI frameworks that Python can make use of. The drag-and-drop interface is a feature of Visual Studio, and there are many comparable GUI builders for Python.

Epic?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo