01-09-2012, 04:36 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey NGU, I have a question and i wanted to ask the people who know best (you guys). Okay so i'm 15 years old and my goal is to develop and app for the apple app store. With minimal programing knowledge, where should i start and how should i work myself up to my goal? I already have ideas for the game and everything! I just need to build up to objective-c.
BTDubs ill rep anyone that helps hah thanks guys!
01-09-2012, 05:50 AM #2
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Originally posted by asian
Hey NGU, I have a question and i wanted to ask the people who know best (you guys). Okay so i'm 15 years old and my goal is to develop and app for the apple app store. With minimal programing knowledge, where should i start and how should i work myself up to my goal? I already have ideas for the game and everything! I just need to build up to objective-c.
BTDubs ill rep anyone that helps hah thanks guys!

You answered your own question, if you want to learn Objective-C, start there! Apple has some You must login or register to view this content., You must login or register to view this content. seems to be a popular book for learning Objective-C.
01-11-2012, 01:10 AM #3
Originally posted by Epic
You answered your own question, if you want to learn Objective-C, start there! Apple has some You must login or register to view this content., You must login or register to view this content. seems to be a popular book for learning Objective-C.

But if i have no knowledge of the c language how will i learn objective c?
01-11-2012, 04:46 AM #4
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
But if i have no knowledge of the c language how will i learn objective c?

I don't think you understand, that's not the way programming works. You don't need one programming language to learn another. Someone who spends 1 year learning C, and another year learning Objective-C would be significantly less skilled and experienced compared to someone who programmed in Objective-C the whole time.
01-11-2012, 02:57 PM #5
Originally posted by Epic
I don't think you understand, that's not the way programming works. You don't need one programming language to learn another. Someone who spends 1 year learning C, and another year learning Objective-C would be significantly less skilled and experienced compared to someone who programmed in Objective-C the whole time.

Oh really? Okay wow haha thats going to save me a lot of time then! Sweet! Thanks dude +rep Smile
01-12-2012, 04:13 AM #6
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Oh really? Okay wow haha thats going to save me a lot of time then! Sweet! Thanks dude +rep Smile

No problem. While programming knowledge builds on itself, programming language specific knowledge doesn't. While programming languages themselves may be based off one another, learning the base is not vital to learning the upper level (otherwise we'd all start programming with switches).
01-13-2012, 08:00 PM #7
GQGK
Skillz

Just a heads up. Are you sure you really know what you're getting yourself into. To release an app on the app store you need:
1. A mac/macbook/iMac any apple computer
2. An iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, basically whatever device you want to release it on
3. $99 That's the Apple Developer Fee
4. A hell of a lot of time. Creating an app takes a lot of time. If you've never programmed before, I really would recommend you focus on obj-c on a mac before you move onto the mobile version of it.
5. A sense of reality. You are not going to be making a game. I can tell you now, if you've never made a game before, don't expect to now. I've been going to school for programming for 3 years now. I didn't make a game until after a year.

Sources: developer.apple.com and me. I've released 3 apps on the Android App Store as well as 2 others on the Apple App Store. I've been studying computer science for 3 years now. Been there, done that.

The following 2 users say thank you to GQGK for this useful post:

Chrom3D, Epic?
01-14-2012, 11:40 PM #8
Chrom3D
Big Sister
Originally posted by GQGK View Post
Just a heads up. Are you sure you really know what you're getting yourself into. To release an app on the app store you need:
1. A mac/macbook/iMac any apple computer
2. An iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, basically whatever device you want to release it on
3. $99 That's the Apple Developer Fee
4. A hell of a lot of time. Creating an app takes a lot of time. If you've never programmed before, I really would recommend you focus on obj-c on a mac before you move onto the mobile version of it.
5. A sense of reality. You are not going to be making a game. I can tell you now, if you've never made a game before, don't expect to now. I've been going to school for programming for 3 years now. I didn't make a game until after a year.

Sources: developer.apple.com and me. I've released 3 apps on the Android App Store as well as 2 others on the Apple App Store. I've been studying computer science for 3 years now. Been there, done that.

Very well explained!

I was going to mention that you needed an apple computer + the device you want to release it on. Objective C isn't really a good way to start for a non experienced programmer or is it?
01-15-2012, 12:09 AM #9
Get a mac
01-15-2012, 11:22 AM #10
GQGK
Skillz
Originally posted by Chrom3D View Post
Very well explained!

I was going to mention that you needed an apple computer + the device you want to release it on. Objective C isn't really a good way to start for a non experienced programmer or is it?

Depends on who you ask. I mean you have to start somewhere and I guess obj-c is as good a place as any. But it's syntax bothers me (speaking as someone who started on Java and moved to C++ and dabbled in obj-c in between). I code for my Android on my mac because I didn't want to deal with obj-c lol

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo