06-17-2015, 05:49 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I have an old Compaq Presario Desktop and I wanna format the HDD but I have been searching around and found that itll mean I have to reinstall my OS. I dont have the original installation disc. So is there a way around this? Can I format it without needing to install my OS again. Btw Its on Windows XP Home Edition 32 bit. Help will be much appreciated.

Or... Can I install another OS. Something like Windows 7? Or is that not possible?
06-17-2015, 05:51 AM #2
Can we get the model number of the computer?
06-17-2015, 05:54 AM #3
Originally posted by ephemera View Post
can we get the model number of the computer?

sr1715an
06-17-2015, 05:56 AM #4
Originally posted by MaoriiModding View Post
sr1715an

May I ask why you are trying to format it?
06-17-2015, 05:59 AM #5
Originally posted by Ephemera View Post

I just have a load of crap on it that I dont want. I have all the stuff I want backed up on my laptop
06-17-2015, 06:03 AM #6

And I wanna upgrade to windows 7 so I thought If I formatted my hdd, that I could just install Windows 7 instead of Windows XP
06-17-2015, 06:03 AM #7
I just have a load of crap on it that I dont want. I have all the stuff I want backed up on my laptop

Well honestly I had two of these machines and I just threw them out. I wouldn't put Windows 7 on the machine if I were you, if you want to format it simply download Windows XP and make a bootable USB out of the download. You should be able to use the COA that's on the casing of the machine as a key.

EDIT: You could put Windows 7 on the machine but you must source it yourself. Just make a bootable USB and when installing windows they give you a Basic/Auto or Custom/Advanced option. Go to advanced and delete all partitions until you have yourself just one partition then click next.
Last edited by Ephemera ; 06-17-2015 at 06:07 AM.
06-17-2015, 06:07 AM #8
Well honestly I had two of these machines and I just threw them out. I wouldn't put Windows 7 on the machine if I were you, if you want to format it simply download Windows XP and make a bootable USB out of the download. You should be able to use the COA that's on the casing of the machine as a key.

I kinda wanna keep it though. Just for personal use. And because I dont have the money to buy a brand new PC, So I though I might just buy better parts for it.

And also thanks for your help!
06-17-2015, 06:08 AM #9
I kinda wanna keep it though. Just for personal use. And because I dont have the money to buy a brand new PC, So I though I might just buy better parts for it.

And also thanks for your help!

I've edited my post, and honestly it's not worth upgrading such an old rig.
06-17-2015, 06:09 AM #10
I've edited my post, and honestly it's not worth upgrading such an old rig.

Ok, Thanks for your help Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo