01-10-2017, 02:04 AM #1
CyberHidden
You talkin to me?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); So my local C drive is a 128gb ssd m.2 and I only want it running just my operating system, I have a 1tb hard drive that I wanted to put my program files in I tried just copying and pasting it to the D drive but that doesnt work it always occupy's my local C, some games I have saved like steam uplay onto my local D. If the program/game I use doesn't give me the option to save to my local D it will automatically goto my local C. Point is my local c drive only has 5 gigs left and I don't to finish consuming more space. I have a extra ssd but if I cannot get my program files to either goto my local d drive which obviously my harddrive than i will forever have to delete things off my local C. Sorry if I sound dumb or whatever my grammar is f'd up since english isn't my native language. Thanks in advanced
01-10-2017, 08:13 PM #2
Hydrogen
Super Mod
Originally posted by CyberHidden View Post
So my local C drive is a 128gb ssd m.2 and I only want it running just my operating system, I have a 1tb hard drive that I wanted to put my program files in I tried just copying and pasting it to the D drive but that doesnt work it always occupy's my local C, some games I have saved like steam uplay onto my local D. If the program/game I use doesn't give me the option to save to my local D it will automatically goto my local C. Point is my local c drive only has 5 gigs left and I don't to finish consuming more space. I have a extra ssd but if I cannot get my program files to either goto my local d drive which obviously my harddrive than i will forever have to delete things off my local C. Sorry if I sound dumb or whatever my grammar is f'd up since english isn't my native language. Thanks in advanced

Have you tried backing up some files, and then resetting your PC?
01-11-2017, 03:59 AM #3
CyberHidden
You talkin to me?
Originally posted by Hydrogen View Post
Have you tried backing up some files, and then resetting your PC?

I mean honestly what files should I back up, I can think of a few things to put in a usb to download after the reset. But than what will I need to do to get all my files to goto my local D instead of my C?
01-11-2017, 04:33 AM #4
Default Avatar
Oneup
So my local C drive is a 128gb ssd m.2 and I only want it running just my operating system, I have a 1tb hard drive that I wanted to put my program files in I tried just copying and pasting it to the D drive but that doesnt work it always occupy's my local C, some games I have saved like steam uplay onto my local D. If the program/game I use doesn't give me the option to save to my local D it will automatically goto my local C. Point is my local c drive only has 5 gigs left and I don't to finish consuming more space. I have a extra ssd but if I cannot get my program files to either goto my local d drive which obviously my harddrive than i will forever have to delete things off my local C. Sorry if I sound dumb or whatever my grammar is f'd up since english isn't my native language. Thanks in advanced

Well some programs are always going to install to the C drive. It's poor programming on their part, however just doing a copy and paste to the D drive also will not work for a few reasons.
1.When you install a program it could also add keys to the registry and those keys could contain the programs path. In this case drive C so you can break an installation doing that.
2.Some programs could also modify the environment path (this could break if you move it to a new folder / drive)

You are better off just uninstalling the programs you would like on the D drive and just re-install them and select the D drive.
When you said you copy and pasted them, that was all you did and it would keep the other files on the C drive since they weren't deleted, just copied. So that explains why they still exist on the C drive.
01-11-2017, 05:18 AM #5
CyberHidden
You talkin to me?
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
Well some programs are always going to install to the C drive. It's poor programming on their part, however just doing a copy and paste to the D drive also will not work for a few reasons.
1.When you install a program it could also add keys to the registry and those keys could contain the programs path. In this case drive C so you can break an installation doing that.
2.Some programs could also modify the environment path (this could break if you move it to a new folder / drive)

You are better off just uninstalling the programs you would like on the D drive and just re-install them and select the D drive.
When you said you copy and pasted them, that was all you did and it would keep the other files on the C drive since they weren't deleted, just copied. So that explains why they still exist on the C drive.

yea I do that whenever I install new programs register them to D drive, but so much space is being taken from my c drive idk if its adobe premier or whatever it is dont like it cause it has it with the red warning instead of blue.
01-11-2017, 06:58 AM #6
Default Avatar
Oneup
yea I do that whenever I install new programs register them to D drive, but so much space is being taken from my c drive idk if its adobe premier or whatever it is dont like it cause it has it with the red warning instead of blue.

You must login or register to view this content.
This program will display what is taking up how much space.

The following user thanked Oneup for this useful post:

CyberHidden
01-11-2017, 02:44 PM #7
Sparrow
Big Papi
I just reinstall the OS when I need to do a clean up, get all the old files in a windows.old folder.
02-07-2017, 09:48 PM #8
Father Luckeyy
Retired - Lead Content Manager

Have your tried back up whatever files you have and restoring your pc?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo