Login | Register

If you're having login issues, please clear your cookies and cache!

Poll: What is your preferred Reputation System?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Reputation System - Better now or then?

1. Join Date

Posts n/a

Membership Unregistered / Not Logged In

03-19-2012 03:07 PM #1 Reputation System - Better now or then?

Okay so the staff has been talking about rep (yet again) and about how the prestige system combined with the caps on rep have made it significantly harder members to earn rep and climb the rankings. Not to mention it's nearly impossible for members who have registered after the rep cap to even have a chance of catching members who were around and active before it.

To quote Needa:

Of the 13,000 members who have joined since June 1 2011 and have 5 or more posts.
    there is one with a silver star, 2 with a single brown star, and only 10 total with 1k rep or more.
    We have less than 7 guys since then that are even showing a single gold bar..

There is something flawed in that...
    Now this thread is a poll to see what reputation system YOU prefer, the current, the one we have now, etc. etc.
    Please keep in mind that this is just a general consensus to see what you all prefer, and if one 'wins' the poll, that doesn't mean that system is being enacted. We're just looking for opinions.

Personally, I believe the best reputation system to be the one that was here when I joined - Not regulated at all. No +/- cap truly let members get what they deserve out of their hard work or bad posts. The more effort you put into things, the more effort you'd get out of them. It promoted activity in my eyes, and that is how I would want it to be now. Rep boosters or people who exploit and abuse it would have a more harsh punishment.

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to MATT23116 For This Useful Post:

3. The Following 4 Users Groaned At For This Awful Post:

.Nik (03-19-2012), Brad (03-19-2012), MultipleAccount (03-19-2012), RayJ_chugs (03-19-2012)

4. Join Date

Posts n/a

03-19-2012 11:55 PM #91

Quote Originally Posted by chris2k7sears View Post
    I somehow feel its my fault for removing rep in the first place - Not entirely but that was the reason rep was completely removed and brought back with caps in place. If it is to go back the way it was before the caps then it will only end up getting capped in a few months (like it was before due to rep boosting/rep hate/rep whores who get others to do shit in return for +rep usually -repping other users, ect). Plus with all the talks about rep before its just going to be a continuous circle.
    Well the general consensus between the staff was to revert it and just let it go, and basically punish the rep boosting. There really isn't a way to contain it without completely butchering it and taking it away. Hence why we decided to make the poll

5. Join Date

Posts n/a

03-19-2012 11:58 PM #92

Maybe not all of ngu are rep whores... ?

6. Sync Guest

Posts n/a

03-20-2012 12:07 AM #93

i have to agree with a lot of you but then again some just dont get how awesome it was back then when we used to cooperate and be more active bringing more into the site than what we do now just because we wanted to be on top of the REPUTATION leaderboard, and i know a lot of you are like ehh it's just rep blah blah but that bit of rep we used to get would motivate us more into finding more new stuff and posting things more useful than before now you see the dumpster with more threads than any other sections because of the worthless post people make and nobody finds interest about. if the admins actually took this poll in consideration and listen to the community for ONCE something the actually makes us better members and more active they will choose what's best for us and for the site and choose the best option i can guarantee you will see more members trying a lot more than what we have now for a bit of reputation, we have nothing to work for but for it so we have to gain it some how and the prestige badges are useless this isn't a call of duty site so let's not get ideas from one game when we have hundreds of them to choose from.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sync For This Useful Post:

+Despair Veni. Vidi. Vici.

Join Date May 2011

Posts 710

Membership Elite Founder

03-20-2012 12:17 AM #94

I think we should go back.
    To The Void and Back

Dopey NGU :/

Join Date Jul 2008

Posts 10,031

Membership Donator

03-20-2012 01:32 AM #95

A thread was made asking the community if rep should be changed. The community said they didn't want rep system to be changed. It was changed. This thread is made. We vote to go back to the old one. I bet all my money that it remains the same.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] || [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] || Buy Me A Gift ||

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dopey For This Useful Post:

11. glitchplz Procrasturbation

Join Date Jan 2009

Posts 2,704

Membership Donator

03-20-2012 02:08 AM #96

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    A thread was made asking the community if rep should be changed. The community said they didn't want rep system to be changed. It was changed. This thread is made. We vote to go back to the old one. I bet all my money that it remains the same.
    Interesting point

12. The Following User Says Thank You to glitchplz For This Useful Post:

xOMANx Ninja Turtle

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 374

Membership Standard

03-20-2012 02:08 AM #97

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    The simple fact is that the admin team just ignores the community. Like you said, a thread was made before, but got ignored and kept it the same.

Outsider, along with the other admins should actually leave their input on the rep system. I don't know if it will happen or not.

Assyrian I don't have a college education

Join Date Apr 2011

Posts 2,561

Membership Donator

03-20-2012 03:39 AM #98

Quote Originally Posted by MATT23116 View Post
    People who abuse -rep have and would be punished similar to those who abused the +rep. Same goes with people conspiring to -rep another person.
    What about making it so when someone gets negged with a sarcastic comment, like we all do when it comes to -rep someone, you just deal with it by deleting that -rep by deleting I mean give back the rep taken away of course only if the -rep is really not deserved.. But yeah that would be too much work I think to deal with all PMs.. I can already see the " READ I GOT NEGGED " messages lol..

I say bring back the rep system where there was no cap to +/-rep ! People will post more helpful stuff, and try to do their best to get +rep, I find rep a motivating thing maybe because I joined not that long ago.. So why not let us get the chance to earn some and not find it takes forever to get few stars ?

Also, I am not a staff member I know but wow if a new staff position was made.. Let's say I am one of this new kind of staff for eg, my role would be to check people's profile and when anything wrong happens ( rep boost, abuse of -rep ) occures I just deal with it? Then people who want to complain about it would have to contact ME or any other member of that staff position ? This way sec. mods and mods don't get xxx PMs a day about the same thing.. Plus that would add something new to the site which is cool IMO Just a idea..

PS: DEREKTROTTER rep me :carling:
    Last edited by Aiiden.; 03-20-2012 at 03:47 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Assyrian For This Useful Post:

Storm The Mars Madness

Join Date Jan 2011

Posts 2,421

Membership Donator

03-20-2012 03:45 AM #99

Quote Originally Posted by Egotrip View Post
    People will post more helpful stuff
    This is something NGU could use more of

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Storm For This Useful Post:

Liam Nigel Farage 2015

Join Date Jul 2010