04-19-2015, 08:34 PM #1
Tipton_Modz
Treasure hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Sorry about noob question's New to modding on the pc
What happens if we get banned from a game on steam?
Is it best to mod on a steam game or stand aloan game
would i have to buy Gtav again if i got banned?
04-20-2015, 06:17 PM #11
Rath
Today Will Be Different
Originally posted by Sniqers101 View Post
You doubt the validity? Seems like I know a bit more than you Considering you can't seem to comprehend what Punk Buster actually does and that it originated on cod 4. You write "in regards to punkbusters" dude PunkBuster is one program there are no others hahaha. Also You're telling me Punk Buster has something to do with banning? You have no idea if that's what you're saying. Being kicked from a server and being able to join that server then getting kicked again isn't being banned haha. Go learn.

VAC had a ban wave, well done, there's been 2 semi big waves over a year haha. That is far from sufficient enough to keep up with all the modders. What percentage of games on PC ban people? BAN NOT KICK. It Would be under 10%. Name five go on, i could name fifty games that don't.

And the e-sports guys are known that's why they got banned for cheating ahah, You/me/any regular gamer won't get banned from private cheats. Go gain some knowledge because from what it looks like what you think you know is far from reality. I would have been banned at least once in the past ten years if "ban waves" were an ongoing thing and made any impact on the modding community. Guarantee you Rockstar won't ban people and if they do it'll be in 6 months time.

Your lack of knowledge is killing me, you can't debate with someone who clearly knows nothing. Stick to your console.

First off, I'll start with your last statement. How can I stick to a particular device, when I don't have one? If you have played on PC as long as you claimed, which I highly doubt because most people on this forum don't even know how fun Wolfenstein 3D was, much less Doom.

Secondly, Punkbusters isn't the only anti-cheat software. As I mentioned there were others like VAC, Warden, Fairfight, and Gameguard, just to name a few more. Saying that PB originated on CoD4 is probably the most idiotic thing I've read on the internet regarding anti-cheat. You also don't seem to understand how PB enforces their bans, like other anti-cheats it only applies to PB protected servers. Most people also seem to have issues understand GUID and hardware bans, along with their enforcement. You also seem to have a misunderstanding of what being banned entails, so I'll explain it in the simplest terms and I will use NextGenUpdate as an example.

You flame an admin, you subsequently receive a ban. You connect to the website, however you're prompted with a notification saying you're banned. Every site feature is restricted, but you can still connect. Just because you can connect doesn't mean you're not banned. The same can be applied to PB bans, just because you can connect momentarily before your ban is enforced, doesn't mean you're not banned.

I'll go ahead a touch base on private cheats. The developers who create private cheats for rent are having to constantly update their cheats to remain undetected. If no one was being banned for using them, why would a developer waste their time updating them? Outside the realm of functionality and features, they have no real need to update them, right? Obviously they're being detected, people are being banned for using them, and the developers go back to the drawing board to find ways to circumvent an update in cheat detection.

Lastly, depending on the anti-cheat you can edit models and do other visual mods without being banned. Most developers could careless if you do that. Unless your model change is intended to give you an advantage in a first person shooter, mainly Counter Strike. As of right now no one knows whether Rockstar is running anti-cheat, well at least client side. For all we know they could be running server sided anti-cheat. Regardless, most if not all anti-cheat actively scans memory, check for known cheat modules, modifications to game functions, API hooks, and even model edits. I highly recommend actually knowing what you're talking about before attempting to give a witty reply.

The following 2 users say thank you to Rath for this useful post:

KeyWest2014, ResistTheSun
04-20-2015, 06:38 PM #12
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
This, no one gets banned on PC lol

Last time I was on PC yes that was the case back in the 90s.
Right now it depends on the title with ban waves coming or studios being pro active in avoiding cheaters.

Dude Punk Buster originated on cod 4. That has never stopped anyone from modding the shit out of any game. If they "BAN" you, that means you cannot play that game with your current ip. Punk buster kicks you if you have mods or cheats, that's not banning just so you know lol. I mod and have never been banned yet I see on google, the ones that do get banned are from being reported not a banwave. If their was such thing as a ban wave they'd do it consistently every month... Doesn't happen, never has.

Renting private cheats will eventually get you banned? Find me someone that's got banned from that hahaha. Do you even mod PC games?

This is a thread about banning not being kicked from a server, and reality is 99% of PC modders do not get banned. If this wasn't true, my friends or I would have been banned in the last ten years.

Punk Buster is 15 years old, was created for Team Fortress to counter cheats by some dude on his own.

Depends on the game but loads of systems being used to counter cheats which is why whole thing is underground.
Pay per month files get sent to you with dozens of updates per month like a github project.
Certain titles which are listen servers over a server you can avoid a ban but sooner or later going to catch up on you.

Long list of systems being used to counter cheats. Gone are the dark age of PC cheats now a major business with studios playing cat and mouse.
04-20-2015, 06:39 PM #13
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by Modz View Post
Sorry about noob question's New to modding on the pc
What happens if we get banned from a game on steam?
Is it best to mod on a steam game or stand aloan game
would i have to buy Gtav again if i got banned?

GTA runs two DRM systems steam and Rockstar social club. Both of these look for cheaters in some form.
Likely if Rockstar find you no more GTA online and if Valve find you no more GTA/anything.
04-20-2015, 07:06 PM #14
Tipton_Modz
Treasure hunter
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
GTA runs two DRM systems steam and Rockstar social club. Both of these look for cheaters in some form.
Likely if Rockstar find you no more GTA online and if Valve find you no more GTA/anything.

like no more online intill we change ip address or buy game again ?
04-20-2015, 07:21 PM #15
Rath
Today Will Be Different
like no more online intill we change ip address or buy game again ?

Depends on the ban. It could be GUID or hardware related, I've not heard of IP bans except in one instance on BF4 where admins were abusing certain features provided by NFO to ban certain players by restricting a certain port. Basically using the server ddos protection to indirectly ban players from official servers.
04-21-2015, 12:46 PM #16
Default Avatar
Oneup
Dude Punk Buster originated on cod 4. That has never stopped anyone from modding the shit out of any game. If they "BAN" you, that means you cannot play that game with your current ip. Punk buster kicks you if you have mods or cheats, that's not banning just so you know lol. I mod and have never been banned yet I see on google, the ones that do get banned are from being reported not a banwave. If their was such thing as a ban wave they'd do it consistently every month... Doesn't happen, never has.

Renting private cheats will eventually get you banned? Find me someone that's got banned from that hahaha. Do you even mod PC games?

This is a thread about banning not being kicked from a server, and reality is 99% of PC modders do not get banned. If this wasn't true, my friends or I would have been banned in the last ten years.

Uh come again? Punk buster was around long before Call of Duty 4. Punk buster did not ban based on IP's. They are one of the following:

1.hardware ban
2. GUID ban
3. CD Key ban

There were no ban waves for PB, it was a streaming anti cheat and if you were caught you were banned on the spot. PB would also kick you if PB was out of date or if you had a setting set that the server did not like. Yes this is not a ban, no one claimed kicks were bans. There is a difference and PB does ban people.
You don't know what you are talking about.
04-21-2015, 02:50 PM #17
Tipton_Modz
Treasure hunter
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
Uh come again? Punk buster was around long before Call of Duty 4. Punk buster did not ban based on IP's. They are one of the following:

1.hardware ban
2. GUID ban
3. CD Key ban

There were no ban waves for PB, it was a streaming anti cheat and if you were caught you were banned on the spot. PB would also kick you if PB was out of date or if you had a setting set that the server did not like. Yes this is not a ban, no one claimed kicks were bans. There is a difference and PB does ban people.

hardeware ban like they would ban something on my pc or router?
guid ban ill google that one
04-21-2015, 02:56 PM #18
Default Avatar
Oneup
hardeware ban like they would ban something on my pc or router?
guid ban ill google that one

Kinda like a mac ban except it was actually looking at the hardware mac address. Not like a reg key or anything.

The following user thanked Oneup for this useful post:

Tipton_Modz
04-26-2015, 03:20 AM #19
Rath
Today Will Be Different
Originally posted by 1UP View Post

1.hardware ban
2. GUID ban
3. CD Key ban

I wish I had the ability of getting a point or facts across with as few words as possible. Thank you for going into greater detail than I could, with like 75% less words lol.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo