06-12-2012, 06:47 PM #1
AppleTechKid
Trustworthy: Level 1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Here is a comparison between the iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S3!

Storage & Memory
The base 16GB models will probably do the most business, but the S3 can scale up to 128GB. The maximum internal storage is 64GB, but the microSDXC slot means that the storage complement in Samsung's flagship handset can be augmented by a further 64GB. The Galaxy S3 also comes with 50GB worth of Dropbox storage, free for two years!
The iPhone 4S, by comparison, also tops out at 64GB of internal storage, but thanks to Apple's need to keep its devices locked down, you won't be able to increase that. You do also get Apple's iCloud service thrown in, which allows you to keep your iPhone backed up to the cloud, making it easy to recover your data if you ever lose the phone.
As far as system memory goes, the iPhone 4S has 512MB while the Galaxy S3 doubles-down to 1GB.

Display
The S3's larger 4.8in screen sports an impressive resolution of 1,280 x 720. While the iPhone's screen is smaller, it also results in a more manageable handset. Also, despite the iPhone's lower screen resolution - 960 x 640 - it's 3.5in size results in a higher pixel density of 330ppi, compared to 306ppi on the Galaxy S3.

You must login or register to view this content.

Both displays are protected by Corning's Gorilla glass but use different technology. The iPhone 4S uses an IPS LCD while the S3 incorporates a PenTile HD Super AMOLED.

Processor
On paper, the iPhone 4S is no match for the raw processing power of the Galaxy S3. Both phones' chips are based on ARM's Cortex A9 but Samsung's Exynos 4412 has twice the number of cores, which run nearly twice as fast - four 1.4GHz cores vs. two 800MHz cores in the Apple A5.

When it comes to the GPU, the S3 uses the Mali-400/MP4, which thoroughly outclasses the PowerVR SGX543MP2 in the A5. Anandtech provided some preliminary results that show how wide the graphics gap is on some benchmarks.

Size
The iPhone 4S is significantly smaller but heavier than the Galaxy S3. The Galaxy S3 has a volume of 83 cubic centimetres (136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm) while the more diminuitive iPhone 4S is shorter and narrower, though slightly thicker at 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm (almost 63 cubic centimetres).

Despite the more compact outer dimensions, the iPhone 4S weighs 140g compared to 133g for the larger Galaxy S3. Far from a drawback, many users have found the iPhone 4S' denser mass to be reassuring, giving the phone a more robust feel. In contrast, some rival handsets boasting of lighter weight risk feeling flimsy by comparison - there seems to be an unspoken relationship between physical size and expected weight in relation to perceived quality.

Camera
Both can record full HD footage, both have eight megapixel sensors and both have front facing cameras (VGA for the iPhone 4S and two megapixel for the S3). In theory, both handsets have similar photographic capabilities, but we'll be testing them side-by-side soon to evaluate which makes the better pocket camera.

Software
The S3 runs Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich while the iPhone 4S runs iOS 5.1.1, two distinct and different mobile platforms altogether.
While Ice Cream Sandwich is the best Android outing yet, the Galaxy S3 runs a customised version of the OS, just like every Android phone without a Nexus moniker. The problem with customised versions of Android is that updates can take an age to appear - the Galaxy S2 has only recently seen an upgrade to ICS, for example.

Because the iPhone is the only phone that runs iOS, there are no different flavours on different handsets. When a new version appears, you can install it to your phone straight away with no fuss, and no need for network operators to roll out a specific build. And when it comes to app support, iOS is still leagues ahead of anything else, including Android. And the iPhone is set to receive a brand new iOS with iOS 6 just announced and should be available in the Fall (2012)

Battery
The iPhone 4S sports a 1432mAh battery with an estimated talk time of 480 minutes on 3G. The S3 has a far larger battery capacity at 2100mAh, which translates to a slightly higher talk time of 620 minutes. Samsung needed to equip the S3 with as large a battery as possible, with the large screen and quad-core processor likely to put a real strain on battery life.

Connectivity
Both phones have Bluetooth 4.0, HDMI out (both via adaptors), GPS and Wi-Fi. However, the S3 comes with NFC, GLONASS, Wi-Fi Direct, HDMI out and a microUSB port. An easy win for the S3, assuming, of course, that you actually need or want the extra features.

Price
The entry level versions of both handsets cost around £499 SIM-free/unlocked. However, when it comes to contract purchases, you're likely to find more generous deals on the S3, despite it being a brand new offering. As always with cheap contracts, though, take a very close look at what you're getting for your money. After all, there's no point stumping up for a high-end smartphone and then finding that your package doesn't include enough data to make use of it!

The following 2 users say thank you to AppleTechKid for this useful post:

Houdini., Stub Hero
06-12-2012, 07:39 PM #2
chitongue
Do a barrel roll!
i have an ipad at home that my fiance won and it's pretty cool in all, but, i can NOT, for the life of me, figure out what all the hype is about iphones and apple products in general.

i'll have my flash tyvm.
06-18-2012, 12:23 AM #3
Game Over
Bounty hunter
s3 is on another level compared to the 4s
06-18-2012, 12:55 AM #4
xVoltagee--
Do a barrel roll!
Great Article Here :y:
06-20-2012, 11:15 PM #5
Theawesomist
Do a barrel roll!
Great article...
I would definitely buy the Samsung Galaxy S3 over the iPhone 4S because Apple's marketing schemes don't work on me. Happy
If you just look above almost everything is in favor of the Galaxy S3.
06-20-2012, 11:38 PM #6
Great Article! Awesome face
06-21-2012, 01:17 AM #7
Millz
Worth the Weight
Probably going to be dropping my iPhone 4 for the S3 once it hits the shelves in Canada. Apple seriously needs to update iOS. Simple isn't cutting it anymore.
06-24-2012, 07:21 AM #8
I'll go for the Samsung Galaxy S3. It has the best specs among the three, quad-core processor, 720p screen and lots of memory at 1 GB or 2 GB (rumor) and storage capacity. When it comes to the design, it is at par if not better then Iphone. check this link You must login or register to view this content. on why you should choose the S3 rather than any other phone
06-24-2012, 08:22 AM #9
Default Avatar
i got bored of ios and starting to love android. i guess my vote is for the galaxy s3.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo