Post: Rac3rX GT6 Tuning Tools / Camber / Gear / Suspension
04-24-2014, 06:38 PM #1
SiNiST3R
Samurai Poster
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Here are some tools I built to help with tuning cars in GT6

The tuning technique works best with no assist.

They are straight forward. And designed to aide tuners tune the car based on how it performs. All of the generic tuning apps or other Bullshit at GTP are generic crap that generically tune cars to feel and drive the exact same so they can do hot Laps in cars that all somewhat feel and handle the same way and that IMO defeats the nature of Gran Turismo in favor of Arcade style bull shit.

Dampers are tuned to spring stiffness, then tuned on the track.

The damper tuner I've been continuously testing and IMO works very well. Damper tuning can provide a lot of performance in the corners. The dampers are most active during transition points in the corners, this is why its important to first balance them to the spring rates. The Dampers literally can take your spring rates out of the equation if they are too strong, so its important to make sure the dampers are not overpowering the spring rates. During transitions in the corner they work when different corners of the car are apposing each other. The damper tuner works on this principle and uses known real world tuning technique to alter handling for the driver as the driver feels out the car/tune, adjusting as the driver needs. Keep in mind there are different techniques the tuner uses an advanced technique over basic quick method.

Neil Roberts
"TFE’s Founder and Chief Scientist, has a deep and successful experience base in top echelon race car and aircraft design and development, along with decades of practical experience in both amateur and professional motorsports. Every facet of TFE’s expertise is available to help you achieve your goals, no matter how challenging."

Neil Roberts On Damper Tuning
You must login or register to view this content.

I may do a write up on a much simpler technique that also uses real world techniques albeit a much quicker style its results are not as refined. It may be useful to establish a baseline tune with the results on page 1 and then use the outcome of that technique on page two to refine, but this is getting complicated.

Gear Tuner

Video Walkthrough of the Gear Tuner Advanced Techniques coming soon.

The Dyno shows a complete graph. (I would still like to refine it with some trig)

Calibration & Input Data.
The data you input is your best gears tuned in the game. You can use this page like the in game tuner with more and better details.

Gear Tuner
Here is where you adjust the gear set to a particular track, adjusting the gears by speed to the corners on the track. You can also adjust the FDG keeping the same gearing.

Shift Point Tuner
On page 3 is the Shift Point Tuner. Here you calculate when speed/rpm its best to shift at in each gear for best acceleration, and to shift under for best tranny braking.

I left the input fields open with the tuned gear set from page 2 displayed. This way you can use the tuner quickly without having to redo pages 1 and 2.

The object is to find the crossover point on the chart. The point first crosses second is the best shift point. If they do not cross you shift at rev limit.

Settings Spreadsheet

All tuning parts are on drop menus, if there are any suggestions let me know.

DOWNLOAD LINK
Gear Tuner / Damper Tuner / Settings Spreadsheet version 3.0

All are opened with Excel

Camber Tuner being revised while I improve its applicability and adapt it to data logger input.
Last edited by SiNiST3R ; 04-18-2015 at 10:19 PM.

The following 18 users say thank you to SiNiST3R for this useful post:

Debiel-2014, Eat_Ur_Food, EliteHaxor, energie93, FarSideX, Fatpabs, Fizzy Joon, Gangsta_NGU, gt416, JK83, kjb39, ll7n, NGU GHOST, recycling.exe, turbo_nova2l, Zambie
07-11-2014, 01:43 PM #47
SiNiST3R
Samurai Poster
These tools a different from a "Quick Tune" app in that they are not going to tune the car for you. These tools are made to assist the tuner in his or her process of tuning. Even though the tools are used its still the individual tuning his or her own car not some generic tune app spitting out crappy settings.

The tuner mid section top converts Spring Rates to a level system of 1 to 10. This is to separate the adjustments from the numerical value in kg-mm. Input a 4 and it will generate the SR that fills the slider 40%. Adjustments in GT6 are relative a "stiff" spring is one that fills the slider most, numerical values in kg-mm are not as important as how much of the available range in used.

Under that is a ride height drop tuner using in instead of mm. This makes using real world drops easier. For example a DC5 ITR using a Skunk2 drop lowers ride height by 2.2in front and 2in rear.

The bottom is just data conversions

Mm to in for drop conversions and then lb-in to KG-mm conversion. As IRL many brands use lb-in for measured spring rates, the conversion makes it easier to try out a real life spring rate. Convert the lb-in to kg-in so it can be used in GT6

The page 2 separates the corner into 5 phases indicated at the top and then allows you to tune the dampers to the phases. The only issue here is I need to update the base settings page 2 works off of. The datalogger revealed about a 20mm hidden amount of travel I need to factor into my calculations. AS IS the dampers are a tad too stiff.

Since you've taken an interest Ill work on that today. I have a update for the gear tuner almost ready, it improves upon the dyno calculations and fixes an error in the dyno graph.

I haven't updated already as I don't see much interest in these tools. The gear tuner is especially good, I can use it and make any gear set from any tuner faster. Its calculations MORE on point then the in game gear tuner, with MUCH more data. The shift point tuner takes it even further and shows the best speed/rpm to shift at in every gear. More interest and I will put more work into them, no interest makes it seem pointless to post updates.
Last edited by SiNiST3R ; 07-11-2014 at 01:58 PM.

The following user thanked SiNiST3R for this useful post:

07-13-2014, 03:34 AM #48
I still dont get one thing: From the damper balancer, how do we use the output "damper settings"? And the damper stiffness? For what exactly we can use these values? If it is for tuning, how we use them, we simply put the output on our setups?

Some instructions would be nice. Most of us, maybe everyone, still didnt figured out how and for what we use these works.
07-13-2014, 04:01 AM #49
SiNiST3R
Samurai Poster
I will put a video together to show how to use it. The output section are the setting you input into the game AFTER using the 5 phase sections to tune the handling through each phase.

Like I said though output will be slightly too stiff, I am updating it based on new found data in data logger.

The following 2 users say thank you to SiNiST3R for this useful post:

robgall1982
07-19-2014, 04:01 AM #50
Default Avatar
666-EG
This is exactly what I needed!

Finally can break some MPH traps.
Can you flip the tranny with this? Thanks.
07-19-2014, 01:14 PM #51
SiNiST3R
Samurai Poster
No need to flip the tranny, that's just a quick easy way to hold short ratios, but not truly the best gear at all. The tranny flip is actually produces slow gearboxes.

Tune gears to the track by adjusting the top speed of each gear as needed. Then lower the FD until she feels right and fast.

You will have to still play with the max speed slider at varying final drive gears to get the range needed on the adjusters, but guaranteed can outrun any tranny flipped gear set. Heck, simply input the tranny flipped gears on page 1 then drop the FD on page 2 and you will have a faster car.
Last edited by SiNiST3R ; 07-19-2014 at 01:19 PM.
08-04-2014, 02:04 PM #52
Bounkass
Are you high?
Why does the spreadsheet say that 1" is 22mm? We all know 1" is clearly 25,4mm...
Last edited by Bounkass ; 08-04-2014 at 02:09 PM.
08-04-2014, 02:44 PM #53
SiNiST3R
Samurai Poster
Conversion error, good eye, I'll fix it. But thanks for the particular way in which you put it Winky Winky

I haven't put much into these aside from the gear tuner. There is new stuff I've figured out, new stuff discovered from FSX's data dump, and new stuff revealed in data logger the suspension stuff needs a serious reworking. More than double additional available stroke and the way that ride height has zero impact on damper stroke until ride height limits are reached makes a HUGE change to the calculations. It actually simplifies Things but that needs to be accounted for.
Last edited by SiNiST3R ; 08-04-2014 at 02:57 PM.
08-24-2014, 05:36 PM #54
xYovillexReborn
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by SiNiST3R View Post
Here are some tools I built to help with tuning cars in GT6

Ill give more details when I can, for now here they are, sorry I will give full explanations on how they work, but they are straight forward.

Check Page 1 and 2 as on page 2 cool adjustments can be done using rev limit, FD and speed cars shifting at

Dampers are tuned to spring stiffness and then balance to the stroke, you need to copy data from the tuner section to the settings section to set in the setting

Updated the gear tuner

The Dyno shows a complete graph. (I would still like to refine it with some trig)

I added a shift point tuner (that is sweet)

Page 1 is calibration and input data. The data you input is your best gears tuned in the game. You can use this page like the in game tuner with more and better details.

On Page 2 in the Gear Tuner. Here is where you adjust the gear set to a particular track, adjusting the gears by speed to the corners on the track. You can also adjust the FDG keeping the same gearing to take advantage of the smaller FDG giving better acceleration (in the game) and you can manipulate what rpm to gear for. Sometime gearing for closer to peak hp may be desired.

NEW on page 3 is the Shift Point Tuner. Here you calculate when speed/rpm its best to shift at in each gear for best acceleration, and to shift under for best tranny braking.

I left the input fields open with the tuned gear set from page 2 displayed. This way you can use the tuner quickly without having to redo pages 1 and 2.

The object is to find the crossover point on the chart. The point first crosses second is the best shift point. If they do not cross you shift at rev limit.

Gear Tuner

Damper Tuner

Camber Tuner being revised while I improve its applicability and adapt it to data logger input.

Do i need jailbreak for this?
08-24-2014, 08:38 PM #55
SiNiST3R
Samurai Poster
No, but you need a PeeCee and Excel they are excel sheets.

The damper tuner is not updated to take into account new discoveries on the suspension. Don't use it until I update it, its more suited to real cars vs the GT6 suspension.

The gear tuner while it may need instructions to get the most out of, its epic, more accurate than PD in game tuner.

The dyno is basic as its making estimations with only 2 points of input. There are 20+ points in the behind the scenes data I will implement when I get the ability to dump the data for any car.
Last edited by SiNiST3R ; 08-24-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo