06-02-2008, 05:49 PM #1
N00B
Do a barrel roll!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); i'd prefer to make this topic STICKY

remember the future of ps3 coming soon this year, u really need to get ready for higher capacity for more incoming games that install itself into H.D ... especially MMORPGS

You must login or register to view this content.

Guide how to Install new hard drive in your PS3

Compatible hard drives need to meet these specifications:

* 2.5" form (generally refered to as a notebook drive)
* Serial ATA interface, also shown as SATA
* 9.5mm Height

Removing the hard disk

1. Touch the power button on the system front for at least two seconds.

The power indicator will turn solid red and the system will enter standby mode.

2. Turn off the system using the main power switch on the system rear.

3. Unplug the AC power cord and detach the other cables from
the system.

For safety reasons, remove the plug for the power cord from the electrical outlet,
and then detach the other cables.

Remove the HDD bay cover on the system's left side.

Use the space at the right edge of the HDD bay cover to pull it out from the system.

If the cover is difficult to remove, gently insert a
small screwdriver in the space and pry the cover off. Be careful not to damage the system or the cover when using a screwdriver.

Free the hard disk from the system.

Remove the blue screw with a crosshead screwdriver.

Raise the metal handle.

Slide the hard disk to the right.

Remove the hard disk from the system.

Use the metal handle to pull the hard disk out from the system.

Replacing the hard disk
When replacing the hard disk, follow the procedure below to remove the metal frame.

Use a crosshead screwdriver to remove the screws (4 places).
These screws are very tight, be sure to find a screwdriver that fits very well, and take your time.
If you strip a screw head and want to purchase a replacement screw see the bottom of this post.

Remove the hard disk from the metal frame.
Lift one end and slide the hard disk out to remove.

Place the replacement hard disk on the PS3? system hard disk's metal frame, and then attach using the screws (4 places).
Do not overtighten the screws.

Install the hard disk in the system.
Fully insert the hard disk in the HDD bay, and then slide it to the left. (I find that using your finger works better than the wire for this)

Attach the blue screw to lock the hard disk in place.
Reattach the HDD bay cover.

Turn on the PS3? system. and congratulations for ur new 250GB Playstation 3 Smile^

The following 3 users say thank you to N00B for this useful post:

deon, JAM-games, trickzz
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM #56
h0tPoCkEt-
Do a barrel roll!
well i found this one can any bodt tell me if it will work for ps3: You must login or register to view this content.
02-13-2009, 01:30 AM #57
RO13ERT159
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by h0tPoCkEt
well i found this one can any bodt tell me if it will work for ps3: You must login or register to view this content.

that hard drive is 7200 rpm it might work but theres not a sure chance and the speed the hd runs may overheat your ps3 id go with a 5400 rpm

heres 1 You must login or register to view this content.
02-13-2009, 01:18 PM #58
Originally posted by h0tPoCkEt

yes it will work great! I have the same one but in 250.

7200rpm is fine and will not overheat anything. Everyone i know is running 7200rpm drives.

As for your other questions.

1. you need an external usb hard drive or a large USB Memory stick. I used a 16gig usb stick drive. Before you swap anything out, put the memory stick or external usb hard drive into the usb port (where you controller charges). Go to the system and do a system "BACK UP". This will back up your files and game saves, etc to the Mem stick or whatever you are using.

Unplug everything and swap the new hard drive in. And yes I did need to go to the playstation website and get the system file so you probably will need to also. its no biggie. It says to do it in your owners manual also. Just needs to be downloaded to the same drive you put your back up on. So go to your computer and plug in your external hd/mem stick and download the file to it.

Once the new HD is installed, plug in your usb hard drive that you put the system file on and your back up on and it will see the system file and start up. Once you go through all the set up again (like when you first bought the ps3) do a "SYSTEM RESTORE" and all your saves etc will be back.

Its not hard at all.
02-19-2009, 02:01 PM #59
Kash43
Keeper
Man great post but I am wondering, do you get the ps3 software? if not how do you get it
02-19-2009, 04:03 PM #60
Sert
Al Capone, Jr.
Co-sign with what 06 sport said. 7200 rpm will not overheat at all. Look at all the reviews on newegg for 7200 rpm in there ps3's, everyone loves 'em. I run a 7200 rpm 250 gb and an intercooler and haven't had any issues. Before anyone starts blasting me for the intercooler, I've had it on for over a year now without an issue (other than it sounds like a jet engine) I didn't have to re-download software at all because it should have been saved with the back-up. Otherwise still running like a champ from release day..
02-23-2009, 11:16 PM #61
X Lash
Samurai Poster
does this work for any size HDD or just the 250gb one?
02-24-2009, 10:33 PM #62
Sert
Al Capone, Jr.
It works for any size hdd, as long as it is a SATA notebook hard drive.
04-03-2009, 01:08 PM #63
Default Avatar
ojl10
nice,

eXooutsider made utube vid and he got hacks for cod 4 on to a pen drive if u ave saw the vid please help me find the thread or give me the codes please.!.
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM #64
Sert
Al Capone, Jr.
They finally came out with a 500 gb 7200 rpm drive. You can buy it here You must login or register to view this content.
Although reading through the reviews it seems like the early models may have some problems.

The following user thanked Sert for this useful post:

trickzz

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo