Post: News: Microsoft Vs. Sony: 2 Giants With Different Leap On Hacking
02-22-2011, 03:10 PM #1
kyskidz
Big Sister
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); You must login or register to view this content.
With the recent legal battles with hackers & consumers, Sony has signaled a message to all their consumers that they did not own the products they purchased, they just rent it. Sony can remove the ability of any products anytime they want and modifying a Sony product you owned, is illegal.

The same cannot be said for Microsoft though, later this Spring they set to release their own SDK for Kinect after several open source hacks has been done to the revolutionary motion controller that interestingly joined by a prominent PS3 hacker, Marcan, who founded fail0verflow team and AsbestOS PS3 Linux project.

Microsoft, How They Handle
It is started with the Jailbreaking on the Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7. The hacking tool from ChevronWP7 lets anyone to run unsigned codes on their WP7 phones – which practically the same based on what PS3 hackers did to Sony game console and not to mention the hacks could lead to piracy too. But, did Microsoft takes initiative to sue them? No, completely opposite. They sent gifts, discuss and work with them. Something that Sony top executives not fond of. And we also know how Microsoft handle Kinect hacks

Sony, like.no.other™
Sony’s stance on hacking is ludicrously aggressive. Afraid that the hackers would break in the console, Sony removed the OtherOS functionality with the new firmware update last year. Thousands of Linux PS3 users were mad at Sony’s move, and even filed a lawsuit against them. Sony’s respond? It’s a shock and disappointment

Originally posted by another user
A Playstation is a combination of hardware and software that ‘is functioning properly in accordance with SCEA guidelines’. The hardware is warranted to run free from defects for a year. The software and firmware (the operating system) only has to function in accordance with SCEA guidelines. This can change at any time and may be automatically changed, changed if the hardware is repaired or changed if a user-installed upgrade is accepted by the user. The purchaser has no right to expect any features provided by software or firmware to continue for the period within which the hardware remains functional.

SCEA reserve the right to destroy any data, content, functionality or usability automatically without warning the user. This may also happen with warnings and as a result of actions taken at the same time as any service or repair of hardware is undertaken.

SCEA do not warrantee that the PS3 will continue to play Blu-ray discs, play games online through the PSN, play new PS3 authorised software, play old PS3 authorised software or play any software without explicit authorisation from SCEA. Neither does SCEA warrantee that any authorised games or services, subscription or otherwise, will be available to the owner at any time after purchase.

Yes, it’s that far off. They believed that what the customers need are not their priority as long as they can protect their profit. An email by PS3-Linux maintainer, Geoffrey Levand, would justify that though. Now, after the PS3 root keys has been leaked by Geohot, Sony is going all out against him and other hackers.

They even request Google, to send them the IP addresses of the viewers who watched Geohot’s PS3 Jailbreak Youtube video. As far as we can tell that the latest 3.56 firmware is not being hacked yet, there are rumors that Sony will release hack-proof SKU shows how they are taking ridiculously serious on the matter but did not care about a particular someone who is affected by OtherOS removal.

The Fight
It is disgusting to know that they can use their legal power to sue the hackers for circumventing their product but not on how they break into the PS3 owners privacy? The limit is just to wide for them to look upon what’s inside people’s USB thumb-drive.

source
You must login or register to view this content.
02-22-2011, 05:28 PM #11
Originally posted by packarda12 View Post
From his page statistics it says hes 16.

Duh ?

My bad, didn't notice, I'm having a slow day i suppose :embarrassed:
02-22-2011, 06:01 PM #12
xXCoLt
Vault dweller
Originally posted by kyskidz View Post
the source is there, its not like ive tryed makin it out as my own, so do1 idiot

Ye i was chatting with my buddy all weekend about this its amazing what Microsoft is doing with Kinect.

Making the source code available to all Devs to run there own Unsigned code is amazing. This huge corporation would rather learn from there consumers rather than scare them off with a lawsuit that could not be paid in a 200 year span....
Anyways i fully agree with Microsoft and what they are doing , it will only make a better product in the long run...

Sony why dont you learn a little something from the competition?

Another little thing about this 3.56 rootkit, i have not looked into it much but it would NOT be the first time for Sony to pull a stunt like this: **SOURCE** ( Wiki)

You must login or register to view this content.
02-22-2011, 06:57 PM #13
If SONY's founding father (died in 199Cool Man (aka Tustin) was still alive SONY would be more humble, but now that new people are in its like the illuminati took control of them and forced hem to be ass h*le's :FU:

The following user thanked krazyfoolof2010 for this useful post:

Mr Grumpy
02-22-2011, 07:02 PM #14
iTruceFret
[move]From now on, call me DRAGON.[/move]
Sony's gay. They refuse to let the OWNERS, hence, THE PERSON WHO BOUGHT THEIR EXPENSIVE CONSOLE, to have fun, and do wtf we want with it.

The following user thanked iTruceFret for this useful post:

xXCoLt
02-22-2011, 07:05 PM #15
xXCoLt
Vault dweller
Originally posted by Truce View Post
Sony's gay. They refuse to let the OWNERS, hence, THE PERSON WHO BOUGHT THEIR EXPENSIVE CONSOLE, to have fun, and do wtf we want with it.

Trust me man, take a look at that link i posted to see just how dirty Sony Can be...

The following user thanked xXCoLt for this useful post:

iTruceFret
02-22-2011, 07:10 PM #16
i don't even own my ps3?? **** you sony. ****. you.

The following user thanked ChillChiefly96 for this useful post:

krazyfoolof2010
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM #17
juddylovespizza
I'VE GOT JUNGLE FEVER
Did you forget about Xbox JTAGS, MS didn't like them it earned you a permaban. Good though how you used to be able to change it though ha.
02-22-2011, 07:17 PM #18
xXCoLt
Vault dweller
Originally posted by BlackOpsPost View Post
i don't even own my ps3?? **** you sony. ****. you.

LOL o LoL basically what they are claiming.

If you buy a 4 wheel drive vehicle and two years later the dealership in which you bought it from Turned your vehicle into a 2 wheel drive car how would you react? I believe its the exact same scenario... Scamssss

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Originally posted by Juddy View Post
Did you forget about Xbox JTAGS, MS didn't like them it earned you a permaban. Good though how you used to be able to change it though ha.

Exactly they had KVM chips or whatever to change your key.
02-22-2011, 07:19 PM #19
iTruceFret
[move]From now on, call me DRAGON.[/move]
Originally posted by xXCoLt View Post
Trust me man, take a look at that link i posted to see just how dirty Sony Can be...

Are you ****ing kidding me?
Poor design
Russinovich presented evidence that the software employs unsafe procedures to start/stop the rootkit, which could lead to system crashes (Blue Screen of Death) and that inexpert attempts to uninstall the software can lead to the Windows operating system failing to recognize existing drive(s). The Sony rootkit is designed to hide any files, registry keys and processes whose name starts with the string $sys$, making it very easy for writers of worms and other malware to also hide their files by simply using the same name. Within weeks there were several trojans and worms taking advantage of this functionality in machines already compromised by the Sony rootkit.

Other actions
It was reported on December 24, 2005 that then-Florida Attorney General Charlie Crist was investigating Sony BMG spyware.[31

New York and California class action suits
Class action suits have been filed against Sony BMG in New York and California.[29

And another lawsuit filed in Texas. Sony is a bunch of flaming ****ing idiots. Piracy, is another problem. But as far as we, the people, owning this system, is our right. Not theirs.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo