Post: News: Microsoft Vs. Sony: 2 Giants With Different Leap On Hacking
02-22-2011, 03:10 PM #1
kyskidz
Big Sister
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); You must login or register to view this content.
With the recent legal battles with hackers & consumers, Sony has signaled a message to all their consumers that they did not own the products they purchased, they just rent it. Sony can remove the ability of any products anytime they want and modifying a Sony product you owned, is illegal.

The same cannot be said for Microsoft though, later this Spring they set to release their own SDK for Kinect after several open source hacks has been done to the revolutionary motion controller that interestingly joined by a prominent PS3 hacker, Marcan, who founded fail0verflow team and AsbestOS PS3 Linux project.

Microsoft, How They Handle
It is started with the Jailbreaking on the Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7. The hacking tool from ChevronWP7 lets anyone to run unsigned codes on their WP7 phones – which practically the same based on what PS3 hackers did to Sony game console and not to mention the hacks could lead to piracy too. But, did Microsoft takes initiative to sue them? No, completely opposite. They sent gifts, discuss and work with them. Something that Sony top executives not fond of. And we also know how Microsoft handle Kinect hacks

Sony, like.no.other™
Sony’s stance on hacking is ludicrously aggressive. Afraid that the hackers would break in the console, Sony removed the OtherOS functionality with the new firmware update last year. Thousands of Linux PS3 users were mad at Sony’s move, and even filed a lawsuit against them. Sony’s respond? It’s a shock and disappointment

Originally posted by another user
A Playstation is a combination of hardware and software that ‘is functioning properly in accordance with SCEA guidelines’. The hardware is warranted to run free from defects for a year. The software and firmware (the operating system) only has to function in accordance with SCEA guidelines. This can change at any time and may be automatically changed, changed if the hardware is repaired or changed if a user-installed upgrade is accepted by the user. The purchaser has no right to expect any features provided by software or firmware to continue for the period within which the hardware remains functional.

SCEA reserve the right to destroy any data, content, functionality or usability automatically without warning the user. This may also happen with warnings and as a result of actions taken at the same time as any service or repair of hardware is undertaken.

SCEA do not warrantee that the PS3 will continue to play Blu-ray discs, play games online through the PSN, play new PS3 authorised software, play old PS3 authorised software or play any software without explicit authorisation from SCEA. Neither does SCEA warrantee that any authorised games or services, subscription or otherwise, will be available to the owner at any time after purchase.

Yes, it’s that far off. They believed that what the customers need are not their priority as long as they can protect their profit. An email by PS3-Linux maintainer, Geoffrey Levand, would justify that though. Now, after the PS3 root keys has been leaked by Geohot, Sony is going all out against him and other hackers.

They even request Google, to send them the IP addresses of the viewers who watched Geohot’s PS3 Jailbreak Youtube video. As far as we can tell that the latest 3.56 firmware is not being hacked yet, there are rumors that Sony will release hack-proof SKU shows how they are taking ridiculously serious on the matter but did not care about a particular someone who is affected by OtherOS removal.

The Fight
It is disgusting to know that they can use their legal power to sue the hackers for circumventing their product but not on how they break into the PS3 owners privacy? The limit is just to wide for them to look upon what’s inside people’s USB thumb-drive.

source
You must login or register to view this content.
02-22-2011, 03:13 PM #2
Scarface
C.R.E.A.M.
Greatest Copy & Paste You must login or register to view this content. No
Last edited by Scarface ; 02-22-2011 at 03:16 PM.

The following 2 users say thank you to Scarface for this useful post:

TBAGsx9, VesHo
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM #3
kyskidz
Big Sister
Originally posted by CaRLiiTOsZ94 View Post
Greatest Copy & Paste No

the source is there, its not like ive tryed makin it out as my own, so do1 idiot

The following 4 users say thank you to kyskidz for this useful post:

albania123, juliex877, shawry, toxicflash
02-22-2011, 03:18 PM #4
jeffers07
Climbing up the ladder
obviously not guna write it himself is he ...least it left a source ungrateful sum people the forum love's news..well i do anyway's.

The following user thanked jeffers07 for this useful post:

kyskidz
02-22-2011, 03:46 PM #5
when sony said that u dont buy the consoles u rent them i thought wtf i put my money to buy they can go **** themselves and about geohot he simpliy let another exploit online and it spread faster than aids. If sonys getting so pissed why not make a firmware with no root keys instead of sueing people
02-22-2011, 04:04 PM #6
Cyborg Ninja
PS3 Security FtW !
Greatest Copy & Paste You must login or register to view this content. No

The following 2 users say thank you to Cyborg Ninja for this useful post:

ρrodigyz, xd366
02-22-2011, 04:06 PM #7
Scarface
C.R.E.A.M.
Originally posted by packarda12 View Post

Stfu little kid.
02-22-2011, 04:08 PM #8
Cyborg Ninja
PS3 Security FtW !
Stfu little kid.

Lol your calling me a little kid your younger than me.

02-22-2011, 05:12 PM #9
Originally posted by packarda12 View Post
Lol your calling me a little kid your younger than me.

and may i ask how do you know hes younger than you? :O
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM #10
Cyborg Ninja
PS3 Security FtW !
Originally posted by Hikarukagi View Post
and may i ask how do you know hes younger than you? :O

From his page statistics it says hes 16.

Duh ?

The following user thanked Cyborg Ninja for this useful post:

benzy

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo