Post: How to PROPERLY Use psarc.exe For External Backups (4+ GB files)
08-02-2013, 01:07 AM #1
Default Avatar
WOLF
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); THIS ONLY APPLIES TO .PSARC FILES. NOT .SELF FILES OR ANYTHING ELSE. CHECK THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD FOR YOUR HELP.

(mods: There have been a few posts about this, but they lack ANY detail and fail to mention quite a few key points. Just saying before someone says "posted already blah blah")

As you may know, I have a pretty decent collection of backups

(yo ho ho)
You must login or register to view this content.

Throughout my time downloading and creating backups, I found out that quite a few games have files that are bigger than 4 GB. Those that know, the PS3 can only read FAT32 external drives. FAT32 doesn't allow single files to be bigger than 4 GB. No problem right? Just split it on your PC then have your backup manager cache it on your internal drive?

That blows, especially if you have limited HDD space. Certain files end in the extension .psarc which means: Playstation Archive. These archives are usually substantial in size and exceed the 4 GB limit. There is a tool called psarc.exe that can extract the files for you and make it playable from external!

For this, I will be using God of War Collection: Volume 1 as an example.

GoW Collection 1 has two .psarc files that exceed 4 GB. gow1.psarc and gow2.psarc.

Download the files at the bottom of this thread (psarc.exe and the .dll file MUST stay together for it to extract the files correctly) and make a folder called gow1. YOU MUST NAME IT WHATEVER THE NAME OF THE PSARC FILE IS. If your psarc file is named "pak23.psarc" the folder must be named "pak23"

So You must login or register to view this content. I named the folder gow1. Take gow1.psarc and place it in the folder along with psarc.exe and the dll file. hold shift + control then right click the window of the folder and select "open command prompt here" which will place you inside that folder's working environment. You must login or register to view this content.

type this:

psarc.exe extract gow1.psarc
and hit enter. This will take all the files out of the archive and into the same folder

Once it is complete, move the gow1.psarc onto your desktop and save the psarc.exe and .dll somewhere safe for later use. Replace the .psarc file with the newly created folder. You must login or register to view this content. If the psarc was like this:

/USRDIR/GOW1/exec/

then move the gow1 folder in it's place so you have /USRDIR/GOW1/exec/gow1/ as such: You must login or register to view this content.

Copy the game with the new folder to your external hard drive.

Now open up multiman and set permissions for God of War Collection Volume One and start the game. It will load from external!

Now this may cause some bugs with the title such as some textures or sounds dropping/being late but the title should run fine. Remember to experiment with BD Mirror option in MultiMan.

I can personally say that The Last of Us has a .psarc file and this works for it. Killzone 3 is another one I know of for sure.

psarc.exe and zlib dll
Virus scan for psarc.exe You must login or register to view this content.

OTHER FILE TYPES

Alright if you have say, a .bin or a .self file that is too big for you to put on your external, you MUST split the file. No way around it. I recommend this splitter: You must login or register to view this content.

It splits your files into 1 GB pieces that MultiMan will put back together on your internal drive for you.

The following 7 users say thank you to WOLF for this useful post:

A_Gen_Fiasco, Choopie, Creepz, Road_house, ICS Vortex, Zwiik
08-02-2013, 01:08 AM #2
:HIGH:
You talkin to me?
Great post :y:
08-02-2013, 01:17 AM #3
Default Avatar
WOLF
Originally posted by M3RK. View Post
Great post :y:

Thank ya bby <3
08-02-2013, 01:19 AM #4
Spoofay
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by WOLF View Post
THIS ONLY APPLIES TO .PSARC FILES. NOT .SELF FILES OR ANYTHING ELSE. CHECK THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD FOR YOUR HELP.

(mods: There have been a few posts about this, but they lack ANY detail and fail to mention quite a few key points. Just saying before someone says "posted already blah blah")

(yo ho ho)

Throughout my time downloading and creating backups, I found out that quite a few games have files that are bigger than 4 GB. Those that know, the PS3 can only read FAT32 external drives. FAT32 doesn't allow single files to be bigger than 4 GB. No problem right? Just split it on your PC then have your backup manager cache it on your internal drive?

That blows, especially if you have limited HDD space. Certain files end in the extension .psarc which means: Playstation Archive. These archives are usually substantial in size and exceed the 4 GB limit. There is a tool called psarc.exe that can extract the files for you and make it playable from external!

GoW Collection 1 has two .psarc files that exceed 4 GB. gow1.psarc and gow2.psarc.

Download the files at the bottom of this thread (psarc.exe and the .dll file MUST stay together for it to extract the files correctly) and make a folder called gow1. YOU MUST NAME IT WHATEVER THE NAME OF THE PSARC FILE IS. If your psarc file is named "pak23.psarc" the folder must be named "pak23"

So You must login or register to view this content. I named the folder gow1. Take gow1.psarc and place it in the folder along with psarc.exe and the dll file. hold shift + control then right click the window of the folder and select "open command prompt here" which will place you inside that folder's working environment. You must login or register to view this content.

type this:

and hit enter. This will take all the files out of the archive and into the same folder

Once it is complete, move the gow1.psarc onto your desktop and save the psarc.exe and .dll somewhere safe for later use. Replace the .psarc file with the newly created folder. You must login or register to view this content. If the psarc was like this:

/USRDIR/GOW1/exec/

then move the gow1 folder in it's place so you have /USRDIR/GOW1/exec/gow1/ as such: You must login or register to view this content.

Now open up multiman and set permissions for God of War Collection Volume One and start the game. It will load from external!

Now this may cause some bugs with the title such as some textures or sounds dropping/being late but the title should run fine. Remember to experiment with BD Mirror option in MultiMan.

I can personally say that The Last of Us has a .psarc file and this works for it. Killzone 3 is another one I know of for sure.

psarc.exe and zlib dll

OTHER FILE TYPES

Alright if you have say, a .bin or a .self file that is too big for you to put on your external, you MUST split the file. No way around it. I recommend this splitter: You must login or register to view this content.

It splits your files into 1 GB pieces that MultiMan will put back together on your internal drive for you.

awesome Post Man i can't wait to use this when i get my Jailbroken PS3 Smile
08-02-2013, 01:22 AM #5
Default Avatar
WOLF
Originally posted by LarryModz View Post
awesome Post Man i can't wait to use this when i get my Jailbroken PS3 Smile

Thanks! If you need any help let me know.
08-02-2013, 03:46 AM #6
Spoofay
Bounty hunter
Thanks! If you need any help let me know.

k man thanks Smile nice to know there is a friendly community of ps3 modders

The following 2 users say thank you to Spoofay for this useful post:

11-19-2014, 07:24 AM #7
Thank you man
03-28-2015, 10:08 AM #8
THIS ONLY APPLIES TO .PSARC FILES. NOT .SELF FILES OR ANYTHING ELSE. CHECK THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD FOR YOUR HELP.

(yo ho ho)

type this:

/USRDIR/GOW1/exec/

psarc.exe and zlib dll

OTHER FILE TYPES

Links for the screenshots are down! As for the rest, good tutorial
03-28-2015, 02:38 PM #9
prefor
Gobble
God of war 2 HD didn't work :(
The only thing that shows up is "Sony entertainment presents". After that everything is black and my PS3 is stuck, which means i have to shut it down manually, by switching the power button at the back of the PS3...

Please how can i make the game work? :(

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo