04-06-2016, 05:12 AM #1
Hydrogen
Super Mod
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey NextGenUsers! Have some exciting news for Dev's out there. Well there is a new tutorial i'd like to share with you all. If you haven't checked the tutorial on You must login or register to view this content., feel free to check it out. The main tutorial brought to you today is by fx0day on How to Run Ubuntu on a PS4. Like I said on the Linux tutorial. I'm going to C&P just because it is an important tutorial for the upcoming jailbreak as so to speak. Just trying to inform everyone, and I take no credit for the tutorial. I thank my bud from Wololo for letting me use this from him. Anyways, lets go on with the tutorial!

Hardware you’ll need:

• 1 PS4 Fw 1.76
  • 1 Usb Hdd or a Usb Key big enough to install Ubuntu

First you need to install Ubuntu on your Usb Hdd

• Download the You must login or register to view this content. (auto-download one clicked)
  • Copy the iso to Usb with a tool like unetbootin (Win/mac/linux) You must login or register to view this content. (You can burn on a Dvd also)
  • Boot (from your PC) on this Usb or Dvd
  • I’ve used the ubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso (link above) and made the install on my Usb Hdd (with a PC of course) , nothing more to say here just configure your keyboard layout , password …Winky Winky

So now you should have Ubuntu installed on your Usb Hdd …

• Now go to the PS4-Playground and load Linux (you must have of course a usb key with bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz in the PS4, see here for details to load Linux on your PS4)

Now you should see better-initramfs shell …

You must login or register to view this content.

• Plug the Usb Hdd where you have your ubuntu install (At this point you can remove the Usb key with bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz everything is in RAM)
  • Type fdisk -l to see the name of your Usb Hdd ( /dev/sdXX)

As you can see my ubuntu partition is in /dev/sdc1

• Now just type (if your bootable partition is sdc1)

mount /dev/sdc1 newroot/
exec switch_root /newroot/ /newroot/sbin/init

Sometimes exec switch_root don’t start at the first time , just type the command again ..

Wait a few seconds and you should see Ubuntu running.

Here’s a video below from fx0day showcasing the whole process:

Keep in mind that there’s no network working yet!

It is NOT my fault if any of you mess up your PS4 by running Linux on it! Use it at your own risk NextGenUsers! Hope this helps you all!

Cheers, Hydrogen Hi

Source: You must login or register to view this content.

Last edited by Hydrogen ; 04-06-2016 at 05:16 AM.

The following 4 users say thank you to Hydrogen for this useful post:

2much4u, Kam, mishary-1212
05-05-2016, 03:28 PM #2
gopro_2027
Vault dweller
Originally posted by Hydrogen View Post
Hey NextGenUsers! Have some exciting news for Dev's out there. Well there is a new tutorial i'd like to share with you all. If you haven't checked the tutorial on You must login or register to view this content., feel free to check it out. The main tutorial brought to you today is by fx0day on How to Run Ubuntu on a PS4. Like I said on the Linux tutorial. I'm going to C&P just because it is an important tutorial for the upcoming jailbreak as so to speak. Just trying to inform everyone, and I take no credit for the tutorial. I thank my bud from Wololo for letting me use this from him. Anyways, lets go on with the tutorial!

Hardware you’ll need:

• 1 PS4 Fw 1.76

• Download the You must login or register to view this content. (auto-download one clicked)
  • Copy the iso to Usb with a tool like unetbootin (Win/mac/linux) You must login or register to view this content. (You can burn on a Dvd also)
  • I’ve used the ubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso (link above) and made the install on my Usb Hdd (with a PC of course) , nothing more to say here just configure your keyboard layout , password …Winky Winky

• Now go to the PS4-Playground and load Linux (you must have of course a usb key with bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz in the PS4, see here for details to load Linux on your PS4)

• Plug the Usb Hdd where you have your ubuntu install (At this point you can remove the Usb key with bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz everything is in RAM)

mount /dev/sdc1 newroot/

Sometimes exec switch_root don’t start at the first time , just type the command again ..

It is NOT my fault if any of you mess up your PS4 by running Linux on it! Use it at your own risk NextGenUsers! Hope this helps you all!

Cheers, Hydrogen Hi

This looks so dope I cannot wait to get a 1.76 PS4 for all this cool stuff Happy
05-05-2016, 05:04 PM #3
Originally posted by Hydrogen View Post
Hey NextGenUsers! Have some exciting news for Dev's out there. Well there is a new tutorial i'd like to share with you all. If you haven't checked the tutorial on You must login or register to view this content., feel free to check it out. The main tutorial brought to you today is by fx0day on How to Run Ubuntu on a PS4. Like I said on the Linux tutorial. I'm going to C&P just because it is an important tutorial for the upcoming jailbreak as so to speak. Just trying to inform everyone, and I take no credit for the tutorial. I thank my bud from Wololo for letting me use this from him. Anyways, lets go on with the tutorial!

Hardware you’ll need:

• 1 PS4 Fw 1.76

mount /dev/sdc1 newroot/

Cheers, Hydrogen Hi

Awesome, I thought progression to a cfw would be diminished considering recent ps4 FWs, but these few months made me think otherwise. Very talented developers such as CTurt made these things an actuality by establishing the base exploits.
06-10-2016, 01:00 AM #4
MODZ4FUN420
NextGenUpdate Elite
Originally posted by OGConsoleModz View Post
Awesome, I thought progression to a cfw would be diminished considering recent ps4 FWs, but these few months made me think otherwise. Very talented developers such as CTurt made these things an actuality by establishing the base exploits.

Is there a good tutorial on how to install Ubuntu on usb? Because i used the tool and Ubuntu from this tutorial and in linex it says not found on the 1.76 ps4.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo