Post: PS4: Sony went for “cheaper hardware” for fear of smaller install base
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); PS4 is made up of cheaper hardware than its predecessor because Sony fears it will see a smaller install base in next-gen, ex-Battlefield producer and EA exec Ben Cousins has suggested.

You must login or register to view this content.

Former EA exec Cousins is now heading up development of You must login or register to view this content. at Scattered Entertainment, a game that promises to push boundaries in the tablet space. It’s a corner of the industry he clearly feels strongly about, along with the notion of triple-a free-to-play titles.

Speaking with You must login or register to view this content. Cousins suggested that his team would be targeting gamers who buy into a console cycle mid-way through and buy games like FIFA and Call of Duty, rather than dabbling in far-reaching titles. He argued that tablets are going to become a more attractive prospect for this particular brand of gamer.

“We kind of feel that particularly tablets are becoming, will become, a solution for that problem or for that need”, he said. “Soon it will be like actually, I’m getting everything I need here, do I really need to buy a console? These are the sort of guys who buy a console halfway through the cycle rather than right at the start.

“I think the problem with the console model and certainly with the previous generation was that it needed the ultra-hardcore, the kids, and those kind of mid-core or whatever you it call it, mainstream gamers, to a buy a console in order to make a profit because it just needed massive volume.”

Cousins suggested that Sony has realised that this shift in player-base is changing when developing PS4 and explained why this may have prompted them to go for cheaper hardware than it did with PS3.

“It was interesting to see PS4 clearly go for what looks like cheaper hardware than last time around,” he continued, “so maybe that’s a kind of defensive move against their expectation that they’re not going to have the same install base, or maybe they just want to hit profitability quicker because of Sony’s less stable financial state at the moment.”

When asked if this was also because of Sony’s lesser financial situation than this time ahead of the PS3′s launch, Cousins replied, “Exactly, so that was interesting. That feels like they’re kind of acknowledging the threat and they’re kind of doing the best they can to kind of defend against it.

“But I do still feel like…and maybe it’s a selection bias, but most of the people I talk to and whose work I read are kind of in agreement…that this time around console install bases will be smaller. And probably will be focused more on that core audience. It’s certainly not going to be kids and casual gamers buying consoles any more I don’t think, they’re going to be all on mobile.”

You must login or register to view this content.

-----

As long as the ps4 is well built and lasts im not fussed on how cheap the components are, itll just mean a lower price. After a while anyways they find cheaper ways to make the console a lower price.

Thoughts?

The following 2 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

James_Bond, Scullzyy
04-09-2013, 02:26 PM #11
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by socia View Post
yes but is it really considered cheaper because Sony didn't custom make anything, basically just using off the shelf components or are the actually using cheap hardware in the term of inferior? anything that you custom make is gonna costs alot money we all know this. what about the blue ray player? doesn't tech become cheaper every so many months or are they just using radio-shack built blue rays?
the term "cheaper hardware" can be seen as shitty built or readily available off the shelf.

Sony has built this console with cheapness in mind at the same getting the best out of the hardware. The result is a overall cheaper and easier product some parts of it are still bespoke most of the PCs parts. However they are bespoke custom parts vs PS3 in which most of it was bespoke parts just for the PS3. PS3 in the end Sony had to cut corners to get it to market so did mircosoft. Sony had to reduce the amount of RAM due to the type used, they also had to reduce the overall HDD size the console had. On top of this they removed a couple dozen bespoke parts which made playing PS2 games possible. Even getting a PS2 game to run on the PS3 on different type of hardware was a challenge.
Just because something is cheap does not make it inferior Winky Winky

Due to the production of blue ray diodes was why the PS3 was delayed and cost so much. Sony had a 40% yeild rate on diodes to start with. That a lot of lower quaitly diodes going to waste they could not make a enough. Reason for the delayed release other parts used also had the same issues. Over time these production issues are fixed but takes some time, it even worse for bespoke parts on a mass scale.

Cheaper hardware could be seen as that but based on what we seen so far it not. Sony has decided to learn from it hardware mistakes of the past. I have no worries on the hardware being inferior, last time around it was due to Sony being forced to cut corners to get it bespoke hardware out.
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM #12
Originally posted by xLew
Thoughts?

How is it your not a reporter yet?
04-09-2013, 03:19 PM #13
socia
Gym leader
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
Cheaper hardware could be seen as that but based on what we seen so far it not. Sony has decided to learn from it hardware mistakes of the past. I have no worries on the hardware being inferior, last time around it was due to Sony being forced to cut corners to get it bespoke hardware out.

thank you for the insight. i was worried for a minute with your first reply to me. as you know i was a little confused by what "cheaper hardware" meant definition wise. all in all i have high hopes for the PS4 and really like to see it do well.
04-09-2013, 03:57 PM #14
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by socia View Post
thank you for the insight. i was worried for a minute with your first reply to me. as you know i was a little confused by what "cheaper hardware" meant definition wise. all in all i have high hopes for the PS4 and really like to see it do well.

No problem :y:
Should have been clearer to start with but was not sure on doing it.

Originally posted by partypoker15 View Post

Quality is not of homepage standard. Based on the people the admins have promoted so far.
04-09-2013, 04:18 PM #15
Cheaper doesn't mean worse...
04-09-2013, 09:00 PM #16
Quality is not of homepage standard. Based on the people the admins have promoted so far.

Hmm. Well then aiight, but if anyone is one the fast track to being a reporter, its him.
04-09-2013, 09:31 PM #17
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by partypoker15 View Post

lol i dont write 100% perfect grammer, i meerly source the net for new and bring it here. also im not 'known' or active in certain areas to get a promotion...

No problem :y:
Should have been clearer to start with but was not sure on doing it.

ive never applied either lol

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Originally posted by vashyron21 View Post
Let's hope the price isn't too high then since it's off the shelf components plus Considering repairs of a PS4 unit They shouldn't have any problem with lack of resources.

repairs, you wouldnt be paying for it anyways, your console would have warranty inwhich yo uwould take your broke one back and get a new one for free.
04-09-2013, 10:09 PM #18
ATypicalSe7en
Maggbot timeout!
Originally posted by xLew
repairs, you wouldnt be paying for it anyways, your console would have warranty inwhich yo uwould take your broke one back and get a new one for free.

Not BestBuy, they make you take it to Geek squad who tries to avoid sending it back, I've seen this first handed as a man took his son PS3 to Best buy for a clearly broken Blu ray drive ( Lens died) and he said that this was the 3rd time returning with the same problem. Sad part it was still under Sony 1 year warranty so they could've sent it back.
04-09-2013, 10:22 PM #19
xLew--
Former Staff
dont buy from them then, allow that!

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo